Is England Going Into A Two Tier Policing System

Bigbob

About a year ago I witnessed the most brazen shoplifting attempt I could ever have imagined.

I was in B&M queuing at a till when one of the cashiers rang a loud bell and started shouting and pointing out the window

Two women with a trolley laden with expensive goods had calmly walked out of the 'IN' door and out into the car park heading towards their car

A male member of staff ran after them and they just let go of the trolley but kept on walking without looking up. Got in their car and drove off

The trolley was brought back into the shop and I would estimate there was several hundred pounds worth of stuff on it. Electrical goods etc

So brazen but if they had just a couple of items in a bag I doubt anyone would have noticed.

Edited by Vince Green

The police , "Police by consent of the public." We are told this all the time. Does that mean they are reflective of what public wants. If not what does it mean. You only have look on the forum to a lot of anti police rhetoric.  When they enforce petty crime they are jobs worths, little hitlers on a power trip. So it starts with ignoring shop lifting under the value of £20 as the courts won't deal with it. Then in a few years the goalposts are moved and you end up in a situation where its £200 and the courts still won't deal with it. How many of the police bashers on here have organised protest marches for the courts to deal with petty crime and tougher sentencing. Or for the police to start policing in the way you feal they should. When the government cut the police by 20,000 and their budgets I didn't see any mass public outrage.

Society has become very left wing in its outlook and petty criminals are looked upon as victims. The question is do you want the police and in turn the courts to deal with petty crime. Or do you wish only crime with a cut off of anything over £200 will be dealt with.

It's your choice do you want the police to police and be backed by Society or do you want them to only police the petty crimes in which you believe in.

Edited by Rem260

1 hour ago, Vince Green said:

About a year ago I witnessed the most brazen shoplifting attempt I could ever have imagined.

I was in B&M queuing at a till when one of the cashiers rang a loud bell and started shouting and pointing out the window

Two women with a trolley laden with expensive goods had calmly walked out of the 'IN' door and out into the car park heading towards their car

A male member of staff ran after them and they just let go of the trolley but kept on walking without looking up. Got in their car and drove off

The trolley was brought back into the shop and I would estimate there was several hundred pounds worth of stuff on it. Electrical goods etc

So brazen but if they had just a couple of items in a bag I doubt anyone would have noticed.

Better than that, one of the son in laws was in supermarket at the meat department and two blokes arrive with a BIG trolley.  They start LOADING it up.... they haven't got any other groceries in the trolley, its empty and they aren't even looking at the labels;  they're just stacking it right up to overload..... not a word between them,  They just walk out through the doors,....... ..( I  notice that the store now has sort of one way auto gate barriers so walking out with trollies wouldn’t be possible.) Anŵay going back to the loading up bit, son in law has noticed and is sort of wondering why.  Its too much for a BBQ  and if it was for a business then surely they wouldn't go to Tesco, they'd go to a wholesalers.   So he keeps an eye on them and when they just walk out he alerts a woman on a checkout,,,,, she presses a button to alert the security.  Now the security guy is flapping about and sil points the blokes out who are out at their motor in the car park.  When three of the store staff.... not the security were heading to the motor the blokes  abandon the trolly and meat, get in their motor and drive off at high speed. The staff retrieved the trolley and  put the meat back in the chiller. Near one.

15 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Really?  Had heart issues diagnosed last October, heart surgery in November, 3 months in hospital (2 in intensive care), back in with a potentially lethal virus in March for 8 days. Went to MK hospital this Monday for Cardiology check up, called for ECG etc within 2 minutes then another less than 2 minute wait to see the Consultant. Which bit is broken?, I have found, during my lifetime, the NHS nothing less than outstanding.

At one time I would have agreed entirely with you, but having just returned home after sitting in A&E  for almost 48 hours my views have changed somewhat. I saw medical staff who spent around 70% of their time staring at a computer screen  !

With regards to shoplifting and the Police, some 30 years ago I was stopped from doing 30 minute Staff training talks at the major stores on a retail park.  I did a 'spot the credit card fraud' talk and video. Despite having bust a large scale stolen credit card gang, due entirely to shop staff vigilance in spotting the fake card, I was stopped because the area commander thought the stores should be providing their own security and not involving the Police.

Edited by Westley

These self checkouts must lead to a lot of theft.

I have twice turned up at a till to find the message " pay £ 39" or whatever meaning the previous person has just picked up their shopping and walked out without paying

The reaction of the staff was most interesting.  They just cleared the messages and left me to carry on. The implication being it happens all the time and was considered routine.

Also I have noticed that when you mis-handle an item and it generates the message " unknown item in the bagging area" the staff member just comes over and clears the message without checking what the unknown item was.

All very thief friendly 

2 hours ago, Vince Green said:

These self checkouts must lead to a lot of theft.

I have twice turned up at a till to find the message " pay £ 39" or whatever meaning the previous person has just picked up their shopping and walked out without paying

The reaction of the staff was most interesting.  They just cleared the messages and left me to carry on. The implication being it happens all the time and was considered routine.

Also I have noticed that when you mis-handle an item and it generates the message " unknown item in the bagging area" the staff member just comes over and clears the message without checking what the unknown item was.

All very thief friendly 

Definitely and the latest service where you scan the products as you place them in your trolly with a hand held scanner is asking for it even more.

2 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Definitely and the latest service where you scan the products as you place them in your trolly with a hand held scanner is asking for it even more.

Don't you think that the supermarket bosses are aware of this and have decided that any financial loss will be less than the wages of X number of check-out staff which will additionally be offset when the price of goods mark-up is calculated?

57 minutes ago, wymberley said:

Don't you think that the supermarket bosses are aware of this and have decided that any financial loss will be less than the wages of X number of check-out staff which will additionally be offset when the price of goods mark-up is calculated?

This ^^

The thing that drives me nuts is how slow many people are at scanning and packing their own shopping. 

In my mind they should want to get as many people as possible through in the shortest possible time

49 minutes ago, Vince Green said:

This ^^

The thing that drives me nuts is how slow many people are at scanning and packing their own shopping. 

In my mind they should want to get as many people as possible through in the shortest possible time

Think people take there time or else it doesnt scan it and you have to swipe it threw a few times