Gloves when shooting

30-6

1 minute ago, DUNKS said:

My son swears by his old flying gloves, thin leather, he only has a few pairs left now though. I do believe you can buy them online.

I had some thin (and expensive) leather shooting gloves.  They were in many ways good, but ........

• They weren't good in wet weather (not waterproof and when wet were cold).
  • The glove on the left hand was great - and I still use it occasionally for hot barrel protection on clays in the summer
  • On the right hand, the leather 'gripped' the wood too well making operation of the opening lever etc. a bit of an effort as the leather didn't slide in the way that 'thumb' does.  the trigger finger was OK as that had a 'fold back' feature.  I think if the thumb had been cut off, it would have been OK, but I lost the right hand glove!

8 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

My son swears by his old flying gloves, thin leather, he only has a few pairs left now though. I do believe you can buy them online.

Best gloves i ever came across, used to beg borrow or steal from aircrew. 

2 hours ago, Scully said:

I find that hands do eventually acclimatise and grow warm. 

I would have agreed with you right up into my 'probably' 50s as I too never wore them unless at work for protection.

Since age and arthritis caught up I find I need them more and more.

Gloves, like socks should never be put onto cold extremities. Should always have enough at the wrist to pull 2 or 3" onto the forearm. Wearing a jacket with a warm cuff or simply putting a heat pad over your pulse point can prevent having to wear gloves in the short term.

When needed I wear compression gloves to help my circulation, sometimes inside the house when I'm bad. Again a heat pad on the pulse point helps.

Karrimor do a running glove with long cuffs and a key pocket in the palm, subsite a heat pad for the key and toastie hands.

2 hours ago, Dougy said:

Gloves will improve your scores dramatically. Within a few months you should be AAA class. As long as you buy the proper Blaser or Browning type. 

😂  Beretta gloves, please.  Or Benelli if you want a semi-auto glove.

3 hours ago, Scully said:

I simply don’t like wearing gloves; even on slow bolting bunny days in the dead blue steel cold mornings when that gun is sooo cold to the touch, I find that hands do eventually acclimatise and grow warm. 

To each his own. Never had an issue with dexterity in the right pair of gloves.  I do sometimes shake my head when I see the, shall we say older guns in their stiff-as-a-board waxed jackets on peg clearly not selecting kit appropriate to conditions or their state of health.  Mind you these are the same people who will turn up for work parties in summer without any water and complain of head aches.

Have a pair of 'Mechanix' gloves in tacti-cool green - a bit spendy but come up on offer quite frequently.  Great except when it's pouring down, at which point I'll take wet hands over wet gloves pressed against skin as the lesser of two evils.  If it's really coming down, it's unlikely to be that cold anyway.

On 08/10/2023 at 12:39, Stephen-H said:

Magic gloves, worked when you were a kid , work when your a adult.

Cost a couple quid handy to have in the pocket when stood on peg waiting for a drive to begin etc 

Finger & fingerless options available.

Job done 

Screenshot_20231008_123629_Google.jpg

hello, i use these, bought 6 pairs years ago still a few left in good condition 

On 08/10/2023 at 13:19, JohnfromUK said:

I don't use a rifle.

For the shotgun, I use the leather open palm like these

dents-open-palm-leather-shooting-mitts-william-powell_1800x1800.jpg?v=1657797209in very cold weather.  I can use the gun well enough and hands keep reasonably warm, but getting cartridges from a pocket can be troublesome.  Fine from a bag which has a rigid leather rim.  Not a big issue for me as I don't shoot big days that need rapid reloading frequently.  I can't shoot in a glove that covers the trigger finger or trigger hand thumb.

I  very hot weather, I use a thin leather glove on the left hand only (I'm right handed) to protect from barrel heat when using a s/s.  Could even have done with it today it was so warm!

Me too and if it is really cold you can slip a “hothands” bag into the back of each one and they will last all day. Or at worst wear a pair of thin gloves under . I have a pair I bought over twenty five years ago. They double up in the summer when fishing as hand guards stopping the backs of my hands from burning