Garden shredder

sandspider

On 06/11/2023 at 12:55, JKD said:

Found a picture of it, taken in jest πŸ˜‚ The pile of stuff behind it was about an eighth of the final amount. It took over an hour and 4 clean-outs of the drum to get to what you can see in the picture 🀬

It would have been way cheaper to get a company in, even twice, to clear and get rid !!! 🀣

20230427_134630.jpg.c74b39712a15c8296e36575bf45bba3b.jpg

That looks like its specially designed to clog up with its outlet so high above the cutter blades/spindle.

I'm thinking one with its outlet underneath, on legs to allow a bin to be the collector.

6 minutes ago, Dave-G said:

That looks like its specially designed to clog up with its outlet so high above the cutter blades/spindle.

I'm thinking one with its outlet underneath, on legs to allow a bin to be the collector.

The end of the outlet chute was adjustable, but that was all that was adjustable !

Β It came in bits, to be put together on site, which took our muppet labourer 2 hours to construct πŸ˜‚ I think it cost cΒ£350, but really don't remember. The video online from the supplier/manufacturer [?] made it look easy and very functional,,,, with thin conifer branches ! With the claim it would take items up to 40/50mm. It struggled with 95% of anything we tried, except,,,, yup,,,, conifer branches πŸ˜†πŸ€£ Anything straggly just tangled up in it and everything had to be stripped to just straight twigs/branches to even attempt to chip ! It's now gathering dust in the back of the boss's shed πŸ™ˆπŸ˜‚ As soon as it was delivered to site, we all just laughed at the TINY box as we knew the mammoth task ahead πŸ˜―πŸ˜†

As an extra laugh,,,, The same muppet labourer cut through the lead to the electric hedge trimmer,,,, 6 TIMES !!! The lead was black, not orange and visible, but he was the only one using it and blamed it on the lead getting tangled in the bushes as he was swiping the thing back and forth πŸ™ˆπŸ€“πŸ€£πŸ€£πŸ€£

think there are 2 different typs of shreader

1. the type with knives
  2. the type that has a very sharp auger

mate had the latter...and put everything in black bin bags for 6 months...it came out black and he used it in his borders to retain moisture and deter weeds...

that type of shreader is very quiet....

I bought a Titan garden shredder a few years ago and it takes branches up to 35mm no problem. It does jam quite easily with fresh leaves and hasn`t got reverse, but easy enough to clear. As I only use it on branches, it serves its purpose well and gets through loads of branches in a short time.

Cost about Β£75 if I recall. Not the best but it does all that I ask of it and has never let me down.

OB

Thanks. I assume that's the newer version with the box underneath to collect the shreddings? Not as good as the older model i think, though the older model is now only available secondhand.

19 hours ago, TOPGUN749 said:

Not sure if still made now but JCB made a very good branch muncher up to about 35mm diameter. Very powerful motor with a reverse gear!

Cheers. Any idea of model number?

1 hour ago, sandspider said:

Thanks. I assume that's the newer version with the box underneath to collect the shreddings? Not as good as the older model i think, though the older model is now only available secondhand.

Cheers. Any idea of model number?

Yes, it’s JCB-SS2400, I still have it, Β 20 years old, 40mm cutter,very heavy steel construction.

• 2 weeks later...

I bought a Viking GE250, not sure but i think there us a stihl connection somewhere, its been faultless really for what i paid. It fills the compost heap with compostable waste and anything that's not it reduces the bulk that goes in the brown bin to less than 25%