Help from the IT bods please

Mungler

Long story short I need to run CCTV over 4G or 5G (where there’s no cable / fibre connectivity but there is decent 4G inside & outside the property and good 5G outside according to the network check website). The site location is E10 5PS and it’s a building site. 

I’ve bought the router below from Amazon - my experience of Amazon shopping is that their ‘recommended buy’ often is well researched and the right answer. I guess it works by plugging in an unlocked SIM card on a data only type of a mobile contract.

I’ve also bough the Amazon recommended external aerial.

So, first off, I don’t know what level of GB monthly usage I’ll need to run 4 cctv cameras. I’ve got kids, and they’re always online and never bust their 100GB per month cap. So I’m guessing 100GB is at the top end. That said, a 50GB a month contract is a lot less money; so if it looks like I’ll only ever need less than 50GB a month then I’d rather do that. Conversely, if I need unlimited then I’ll bite that bullet at about £30 a month. 

Next, I haven’t a clue about best networks these days as they all look the same to me. I’ve been with O2 for 2 decades but chatter round the office says get something from Tesco Mobile (and I think that hooks into O2 anyway) or GiffGaff whatever that is.

Any ideas or input greatly appreciated.

IMG_5365.jpeg

11 hours ago, welsh1 said:

I use ID mobile in my phone, it's on the EE network which i moved from a year ago, ID mobile do a rolling month contract you can cancel at anytime just the month notice, on their site they offer unlimited data on a 1 month contract for £17.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/sim-only-deals

That’s well cheap for a month at a go jobby. Im in. Will let you know how I get on.

few here that might meet your needs?...https://www.moneysupermarket.com/mobile-phones/sim-only/unlimited-data-sim-only/

I looked briefly at running a CCTV over 4G or 5G when looking for security for home, things you have to remember with this setup is, camera resolution (higher means more data) will it run 24/7 or work on PIR/Motion detection, where is the footage stored?

Cut and paste below gives you some idea of data usage…

How much data does a 4G security camera consume?

Retailers who opt for a fully autonomous 4G camera should choose a mobile data plan that suits their needs. Please note that the level of data consumption is directly related to the performance of the security camera. The more powerful the camera, the more data it will consume.

For example, a camera producing high-definition images will require a lot of data. It’s important to bear in mind, however, that it will be rather difficult to do without this option, given that high-quality images are essential for video surveillance. For HD footage, the average data consumption rate is 1 to 2 MB per minute. N.B. 1,000 MB = 1 GB. For example, this means that:

• If the camera is operating on a continuous basis for 24 hours, it will consume between 1.5 and 3 GB;

• If it is operating 24/7, a minimum of 45-90 GB per month will be required.

Retailers can also choose not to have the 4G camera operating all the time, but to alternate with a WI-FI camera. If the 4G camera is only used 12 hours a day, 7 days a week, a monthly data plan of between 22 GB and 45 GB may suffice.

Edited by old'un

Try these links

https://www.unifore.net/ip-video-surveillance/data-usage-for-4g-lte-security-cameras.html

You'll need to know the bit rate or quality you are streaming at. You will be streaming to the cloud or storage on site? That will make a big difference if you are only viewing the occaisional live stream remotely.

Smarty do a good data plan.... We have one as backup with that router for when the internet goes down, although I am thinking about binning off our provider as we have been having more problems lately (in the process of being taken over by Octopus - don't know if that is what the issue is) but I don't want to sign up for a long contract as we have had OpenReach on our lane and they say that we will be getting FTTP in the first quarter of next year.

On 10/11/2023 at 20:14, welsh1 said:

I use ID mobile in my phone, it's on the EE network which i moved from a year ago, ID mobile do a rolling month contract you can cancel at anytime just the month notice, on their site they offer unlimited data on a 1 month contract for £17.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/sim-only-deals

I was just looking at them but they use the Three network and not EE. 

Just thought it was worth mentioning as we can't get any reception on Three but EE is ok.

https://www.idmobile.co.uk/help-and-advice/coverage

• 1 month later...