Water world duck shooting on Lough Neagh

Big Al

We had very heavy rain almost 2 weeks ago, and while the rest of the country is emerging from the floods, the Lough Neagh water level continues to rise. Six rivers flow into the Lough and only one flows out. I hadn't realised that the water level was this high before going down. If I had I probably wouldn't have gone. 

It was still a productive outing though.

Good video, I enjoyed that. 

Must be daunting for a young dog to swim out into miles of open water, especially as they don't have a great field of view from water level and probably can't see the 50M+ out to where that duck was. 

How would you normally build the dog up to this? Would you just gradually build up the distances until he was comfortable retrieving at any distance? 

50 minutes ago, Poor Shot said:

Good video, I enjoyed that. 

Must be daunting for a young dog to swim out into miles of open water, especially as they don't have a great field of view from water level and probably can't see the 50M+ out to where that duck was. 

How would you normally build the dog up to this? Would you just gradually build up the distances until he was comfortable retrieving at any distance? 

Thanks for the comment.

I normally use and experienced dog alongside the newbie. The new dog, although keen,  doesn't know to keep swimming back until I stop saying back. The experienced dog teaches the new one about distance simply as the new one follows! Buster is not as naturally confident in water as the other two but is fine to a normal 30 to 40 yards. This one was 50 or 60 and he didn't see it coming down. And, as you say, he couldn't see it on the water. If he had seen it, he'd have retrieved it and learned a valuable lesson. But he didn't. 

It was my mistake not to bring Bear or Ted. Or both.

18 hours ago, Big Al said:

Thanks for the comment.

I normally use and experienced dog alongside the newbie. The new dog, although keen,  doesn't know to keep swimming back until I stop saying back. The experienced dog teaches the new one about distance simply as the new one follows! Buster is not as naturally confident in water as the other two but is fine to a normal 30 to 40 yards. This one was 50 or 60 and he didn't see it coming down. And, as you say, he couldn't see it on the water. If he had seen it, he'd have retrieved it and learned a valuable lesson. But he didn't. 

It was my mistake not to bring Bear or Ted. Or both.

Interesting, thanks.

It will all come together for him with age no doubt.

On 14/11/2023 at 11:11, Big Al said:

We had very heavy rain almost 2 weeks ago, and while the rest of the country is emerging from the floods, the Lough Neagh water level continues to rise. Six rivers flow into the Lough and only one flows out. I hadn't realised that the water level was this high before going down. If I had I probably wouldn't have gone. 

It was still a productive outing though.

Thanks Big Al great video 👍

Another great video,I do look forward to your adventures and although you lost a duck this time the youngster will soon learn.

The water has certainly risen and it must have been a little daunting when, you turned up in the dark.The fields around us have flashes all around enticing the ducks off the tide for a forage on worms etc.

The algae seems to have gone ,and not before time.Thanks again for letting us watch your wlldfowing.

On 14/11/2023 at 20:50, flippermaj said:

Great stuff as always. Cheers for making the films

Thanks 👍

On 15/11/2023 at 10:43, Old Boggy said:

Great video once again Alan. You weren’t kidding when you said the water had risen quite a lot.

Many thanks for posting.

Keep them coming, always an absolute joy to watch.

OB

Cheers ! The water was extremely high! If it gets much higher the hide will be at risk of demolition (again.)

On 15/11/2023 at 15:50, Gerry78 said:

Thanks Big Al great video 👍

Cheers Gerry.

On 15/11/2023 at 17:07, greylag said:

Another great video,I do look forward to your adventures and although you lost a duck this time the youngster will soon learn.

The water has certainly risen and it must have been a little daunting when, you turned up in the dark.The fields around us have flashes all around enticing the ducks off the tide for a forage on worms etc.

The algae seems to have gone ,and not before time.Thanks again for letting us watch your wlldfowing.

Thanks for the comment. Yes, you're absolutely right about the walk out in the dark. The wading staff was used to feel the way. 

13 hours ago, simon6ppc said:

Brilliant and good to watch 

Thanks Simon.

9 hours ago, dessyb said:

👍

Cheers.