Fish & Chips is now a luxury

old'un

18 hours ago, old'un said:

Finch and Chimps??? and Bees??

17 hours ago, 7daysinaweek said:

One of me old friends used to ask for 'finch, chimps and mushy bees' meaning fish chips and mushy peas

Did he never tell you the joke then?

Ahem...

A man got a job as a zookeeper, on his first day at the zoo he was walking past the aviary when he saw a beautiful finch. He reached into the cage and caught the bird to give it a stroke. Unfortunately he squeezed too hard and killed the bird. In a panic he threw the dead bird into the lions cage to get rid of the evidence. As he was walking away he accidentally knocked over the Bee hive exhibit. The hive crashed to the ground and the bees began to swarm out. In a panic he stomped all over the hive and killed the bees then threw the lot over the wall into the lions cage. As he walked past the Monkey cage he turned to see all the monkeys taking the Mickey out of him. He flew into a rage and entered the monkey cage and punched the first monkey he saw, killing him outright. In a panic now he also threw the monkey's body over into the lions cage.

The next day the zoo introduced a new lion to the lion enclosure. The lion walked up to the leader of the pack an old and wise lion and said "Hi mate, I'm new, just got here from Africa, what's this place like then?"

"It's all right here mate" said the old lion. "What's the food like then?" said the newcomer.

"Not too bad" said the old lion "Last night I had finch, chimps and mushy bees!"   

I wonder why there is such a big difference in price around the country, you have Mungler paying £12.95 and snow white paying £6.30? I would have thought the wholesale price was similar up and down the country, only thing I can think of is the cut of fish, loin or tail-end, tail-end being the cheapest.

20 hours ago, bruno22rf said:

Mark up on Fish and Chips is approx 60% - cook your own.

Will it be as good though? 

20 hours ago, TOPGUN749 said:

Those fish and chips prices make the 4 course Christmas dinner my local pub is doing for £17.95 rather a bargain!

I can’t imagine any pub doing 4 courses for £17.95 is great to be blunt. 

Cheap and cheerful maybe. I can’t see how it’s possible to do 4 courses for that price unless the quality / ingredients are just super basis and cheap. 

2 hours ago, old'un said:

I wonder why there is such a big difference in price around the country, you have Mungler paying £12.95 and snow white paying £6.30? I would have thought the wholesale price was similar up and down the country, only thing I can think of is the cut of fish, loin or tail-end, tail-end being the cheapest.

Rent one a shop front in one area of the country is going to differ very significantly from another. 

Utility rates, local suppliers, fish transport costs, potato crop transport and growing season success in different areas possibly, staff wages may differ.

Profit margins likely even play a part, some owners just pushing the margins more, whilst others don’t push it or can’t increase it. 

I’m from just outside Porthcawl where Steve gets his from, there are lots of fish and chip shops all competing for the same market. 

Two girls I went to school were best friends for what must be 15+ years … one of their dads owned a local chippy. The other girl worked there, learned the trade, and has opened up her own chippy on the seafront… they aren’t best friends anymore! 🤣

23 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

Will it be as good though? 

I can’t imagine any pub doing 4 courses for £17.95 is great to be blunt. 

Cheap and cheerful maybe. I can’t see how it’s possible to do 4 courses for that price unless the quality / ingredients are just super basis and cheap. 

A privately run village pub, charging reasonable prices for quality home cooked meals,their hygiene rating is 5. So many people are so used to paying high prices especially in parts of England that they can’t believe value meals do exist.Their 3 course Sunday lunch is about £15.(The Rolling Mill- Cwmafan)

582DA29A-E437-4DDF-AFCC-D2C056391BBF.jpeg

Edited by TOPGUN749

There’s a pub in Caernarfon during the holiday season does a 8 oz steak home made chips peas onion rings tomatoes fresh egg salad coleslaw for £7.50 each open 12 pm till 8 pm.

but this time of year only open till 2.30 to early for me and the missis his fish and home made chips is only £5.99 with bread butter 

27 minutes ago, snow white said:

There’s a pub in Caernarfon during the holiday season does a 8 oz steak home made chips peas onion rings tomatoes fresh egg salad coleslaw for £7.50 each open 12 pm till 8 pm.

but this time of year only open till 2.30 to early for me and the missis his fish and home made chips is only £5.99 with bread butter 

Bet you can’t even get the ingredients for near that these days. 

Without accounting for your rent/rates, staff cost, etc. 

Is it a chain pub like a Weatherspoons type? 

2 hours ago, snow white said:

Blimey, as the cost of living not hit Wales yet, large fish and chips £6.30 and 8 oz steak home made chips peas onion rings tomatoes fresh egg salad coleslaw for £7.50.

if we go for a steak meal its usually at Miller & Cater, Bromsgrove, last time we where there I had sirloin (12oz) with all the trimmings £35.