Old Beretta

mushpush

Hi all, can any of the oldies have a look at an early Beretta i have just acquired. It says its a 687 but the engraving would suggest a 686. Proof date says it was proofed in 1978. I had a 686S with the same engraving back in day with a similar serial no, just several digitates more. Wood is nice but not spectacular with a varnish finish and 28 inch fixed chokes.

TIA

bottom.jpg

side.jpg

top.jpg

Thanks everyone, yep definitely AD on the barrel. Wonder what the marketing difference was back then between a 686 and a 687? I acquired the gun privately here in NZ for $600 dollars NZ. The guy, who was a dealer, was given it as a thankyou for selling a lot of guns that year. He recalls getting it about 79/80.

9 hours ago, old'un said:

Welcome to PW :welcomeani:

out of interest are your stats correct?...it says you joined June 2016?

Yep, look in every now and then.

17 hours ago, mushpush said:

Hi all, can any of the oldies have a look at an early Beretta i have just acquired. It says its a 687 but the engraving would suggest a 686. Proof date says it was proofed in 1978. I had a 686S with the same engraving back in day with a similar serial no, just several digitates more. Wood is nice but not spectacular with a varnish finish and 28 inch fixed chokes.

TIA

bottom.jpg

side.jpg

top.jpg

Beretta wrote in on there for you??

15 hours ago, mushpush said:

Thanks everyone, yep definitely AD on the barrel. Wonder what the marketing difference was back then between a 686 and a 687? I acquired the gun privately here in NZ for $600 dollars NZ. The guy, who was a dealer, was given it as a thankyou for selling a lot of guns that year. He recalls getting it about 79/80.

Yep, look in every now and then.

687 was marketed as a “delux” upgrade version of the 686 with better engraving and wood and the embellishment on the top lever etc.  I remember wanting one in the 80’s but couldn’t quite afford it. Eventually bought a 686s, 30” multi choke which I should never have got rid of.

My 686 s is sat warming after being cleaned it had a dunk in the stream at the bottom of the bank while losing my footing investigating a badger hole that looks to have foxes squatting in it !

Mine is a 1990 and had a hard life ( she is my go to gun for pest control) recon she will last longer than me and hopefully pass on to the next generation when the time comes!

Have fun with your beretta just about a full parts catalogue is available of it should happen to need anything!

Agriv8