Electricity/Gas standing charge

steve_b_wales

8 minutes ago, TOPGUN749 said:

Even more with Eon next, 83p a day! £303 a year. A few years ago I was paying 21p a day! Everyone hates these charges.Same with the Welsh Water, over £151 a year to them before using a drop of water!

Octopus Energy state that they are the lowest in standing charges. I've been with them a few years now and they've been pretty good with their prices. I agree regarding Welsh Water. I've got a water meter fitted (for the past 25+years) but their standing charge (not sure what I'm paying at the moment) is high. 

Edited by steve_b_wales

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

The most annoying and unfair part is it hits the careful person more.

I do not use much gas or electricity and my standing charges are a major part of my bill.

Currently (i.e. winter) I use around £3 of electricity and £7 of gas so the standing charge of 80p is around 8% of the total.

In summer I use around £3 of electricity and £0.30 of gas, so standing charge is around 25% of the total.

48 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

Currently (i.e. winter) I use around £3 of electricity and £7 of gas so the standing charge of 80p is around 8% of the total.

In summer I use around £3 of electricity and £0.30 of gas, so standing charge is around 25% of the total.

In summer the standing charge is 60% of my bills,in winter 27%. £303 out of £900 total!

In my head it’s money for renting the meter off them and the latest hike is a rent increase which is a scam in it’s self.

it should be dear potential/existing customer we would like to supply you with our fuel and would like our meters to be fitted into your property taking up X amount of space that you are already paying for and for this inconvenience we are not going ask a standing charge as we should be renting X amount of space off you!

Please don’t ask me to send a meter reading as we have smart meter,if you want to check it in sinc then you going to have to send someone even the water board tried it last week card through door with could you text water meter reading ruddy cheek , they sent someone 😂 

1 minute ago, Surfer said:

the latest hike is a rent increase

The rent increase is to cover the cost of MUCH more expensive 'smart' meters (and all the associated network infrastructure).  That was wished on the suppliers by HMG in the Energy Act of 2008 by Ed Milliband.