Small dent in stock - repair or leave?

Shadowchaser

I've put a small dent in the stock of my eell (which I bought earlier this year) by accidentally banging it into the corner of a desk. 

The dent is on the under side near the gold circle thing (not sure what the proper name is for that).

I'm in two minds whether or not to fix it myself or just leave it. I have seen this method of using a cloth and an iron to lift the dent out, but not sure I want to try it on what is essentially a new gun still. 

I also don't feel it's worth the time and money sending it to be repaired elsewhere (unless the gun went in for something else). It is under warranty but this does not cover dents (which I wouldn't have expected anyhow). 

It's more just the fact that there is a small dent and I know it's there, which does niggle me. 

Has anyone here used the iron/cloth method to repair a dented stock? 

I have used the damp cloth and iron method to remove dents quite successfully. It’s surprising how deep dents can be removed by this method. I’m not sure whether a dent that’s been there for a long time would come out as easily but I did mine shortly after it was dented and it came out completely. We’ll worth a try in my opinion.

OB

If it was me, having spent that on a gun I would pay a professional to get it sorted, you have already said it niggles you and I get that, I am absolutely the same and until it was sorted I would never be happy, worse case, couple of hundred quid, imoh, to make you happy again, small price to pay

43 minutes ago, button said:

If it was me, having spent that on a gun I would pay a professional to get it sorted, you have already said it niggles you and I get that, I am absolutely the same and until it was sorted I would never be happy, worse case, couple of hundred quid, imoh, to make you happy again, small price to pay

This.

10 hours ago, button said:

Indeed. It's one of those things isn't it? If I showed the gun to someone casually they probably wouldn't see the dent but when you know it's there it plays on your mind. If it was a second hand gun or if it was several years old I wouldn't be as bothered. A bit like getting a dent in a brand new car. It's always going to annoy you.

30 minutes ago, Shadowchaser said:

Indeed. It's one of those things isn't it? If I showed the gun to someone casually they probably wouldn't see the dent but when you know it's there it plays on your mind. If it was a second hand gun or if it was several years old I wouldn't be as bothered. A bit like getting a dent in a brand new car. It's always going to annoy you.

Like I say, I get you, I got anew car this year and it got dented after three days, most would not even have noticed it but I had to get it done because every time I went to the car I saw because I knew it was there, so I get it

get it repaired and you’ll be happy again👍

6 minutes ago, Fellside said:

Steaming the wood and refinishing is fairly straight forward. It would have to be for me to get results - as I’m certainly no gun smith. You have to give it plenty of heat, but make sure the cloth doesn’t get dry. A touch of wire wool and a good stock oil - that’s it. 

No matter how straight forward something is I always manage to make a dogs dinner of it, hence why I pay professionals