Lead ban grey area????

foxbasher

Evening all. Now this whole lead ban has me a bit confused now. 

I was at one of the properties today where I manage the grounds and have discovered that the squirrel population in the area have taken to chewing the lead flashing off the roofs of the outbuildings!!! There's no damage to materials underneath.... Their just eating the lead!!

I've never seen this before but I'm going to have to shoot the squirrels now to prevent further damage. If this becomes a regular occurrence are we going to have to replace the flashing with a non lead alternative to abide by the lead ban in the future 😂

IMG_20231215_141908_HDR_copy_780x1040.jpg

IMG_20231215_141856_HDR_copy_780x1040.jpg

IMG_20231215_141755_HDR_copy_780x1040.jpg

IMG_20231215_141829_HDR_copy_780x1040.jpg

51 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Yes indeed, but if the lead had been dressed down on to the tiles it would have looked better and done a better job.

Those 'dormer/roof protrusion?' cheeks haven't been finished in a great way TBH. Perhaps the squirrels have eaten the cheek covering, leaving the abutment detail open to rainwater ingress, hence the attempt to stop this rainwater ingress by the improper use of clear frame sealant 🤓🙈🤣

Definitely needs some attention 🤭😁 ,,,, as do the squirrels!!!

Edited by JKD

15 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Probably, I used to dress lead many years ago, don't think I have the tools any more.

I still have my wiping cloths, don't know about the lead dresser though.

I would 'burn' a patch of sheet lead, over the damage.

Edited by Westley

Haha I think theses two buildings are the type sold by these national "garden building/office" suppliers as a lot of the internal timbers are numbered etc. 

I think they come as kit form and you get somebody to build it or I presume they have a team of their own they can organise. 

Definitely not a custom build

On 15/12/2023 at 18:55, enfieldspares said:

Maybe they are after the "sugar of lead" that it can produce? In the distant past such was used to sweeten cider! Or in the recent past to add to normal white sugar supposedly one of the motives for the co-operative movement?

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lead(II)_acetate

Lead oxide is said to have a sweet taste maybe they are after that? Or just sharpening their teeth. My wife used to be a pest control officer & saw several instances where rodents had gotten into houses by chewing holes in lead pipes.

• 2 weeks later...