.Large Oyster Mushroom Or Not ?

Dougy

Got a load of these down the garden growing, in a sheltered woody area. 

Recognition app on my phone and books tell me it is a large oyster mushroom, not being an expert im not intending on frying it up for Mrs D's breky.   

Oh before some bright spark tells me,,,, i know its a Mora next to it, i put it there for a size comparison .😉

20231216_184407 (1).jpg

My garden has loads of mushrooms of all sorts growing from about August onwards. Other than the ink cap I have no idea what any of then are and they could easily be 1 of about 90 different types. Instead they make interesting plinking targets and my kids like to stamp on them. 

If they don't come in a packet from tesco they don't get eaten when it comes to mushrooms. 

1 hour ago, Weihrauch17 said:

LOL my thoughts too, why risk it!

i love mushrooms/fungi...............i would love to haveTHE TOTAL INDEPTH KNOWLEDGE of edible fugi.....it is an autumal harvest never to be missed...wether you use the fungi in stews/casseroles/risotto....or for breakfast on toast with sausages and egg ...............

but sadly i dont have that knowledge so i stick to shop bought mushrooms........

25 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i love mushrooms/fungi...............i would love to haveTHE TOTAL INDEPTH KNOWLEDGE of edible fugi.....it is an autumal harvest never to be missed...wether you use the fungi in stews/casseroles/risotto....or for breakfast on toast with sausages and egg ...............

but sadly i dont have that knowledge so i stick to shop bought mushrooms........

Me too huge clumps of Mushrooms outside my house, god knows what they are but they would probably kill you

I have an old family friend who is very expert in edible fungi - and I do mean very expert, but sadly now elderly and retired from foraging.  I would and have over the years eaten many fungi she has collected and never any worries or ill effects, but (apart from 'ordinary' field mushrooms) I have found them generally rather disappointing/dull/lacking in flavour and a bit of a let down.  I think this is the reason we don't see more use of them in deli shops etc. (though many don't keep well unless correctly dried).  A good field/horse mushroom can be lovely though.