Scribehound - anyone subscribe?

Miserableolgit

Anyone sub to the online country / shooting / fishing / hunting / magazine blog thingy  "Scribehound" - if so is it worth it?

Scribehound.com

After many years, well decades, of buying and subbing to Shooting Times I'm thinking of cancelling my subscription so am looking for something - preferably online - to fill the void.

Never seen that before but looks like there's some interesting reads.

I used to have the shooting times but stopped buying it after about 30 years as I found it was just rehashing old articles, got a bit bored with it in the end, although there was the odd piece that was worth a read.

I'll take a look into this. I use to subscribe to a few shooting magazines, but one by one, I cancelled them. Sproting Gun and Shooting Sports were almost identical so the Shooting Sports went. Sporting Gun is now getting boring for me and that too will be cancelled in a few months. I only have GunMart and Rifle Shooter now, which so far, are okay.

7 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I'll take a look into this. I use to subscribe to a few shooting magazines, but one by one, I cancelled them. Sproting Gun and Shooting Sports were almost identical so the Shooting Sports went. Sporting Gun is now getting boring for me and that too will be cancelled in a few months. I only have GunMart and Rifle Shooter now, which so far, are okay.

Sporting gun has been taken over by another publisher by the look of it. The proof reading must be nonexistent as there are loads of errors. There are less competitions and they have stopped taking letters to the editor. I will not be renewing my subscription when it runs out.

Countrymans weekly is now every two weeks and is a good read

I find that most articles  in shooting magazines are reprints or far from the truth. The Shooting Times published an article  some months ago  on Smythe  of Darlington  which gave a bad representation of a gunmaker   known has GUN MAKER OF THE NORTH.  I complained to the Shooting Times that what was published was far from the truth but I never had a reply

Feltwad

These days the postal service here is a bit hit and miss which means copies are tending to arrive late. I'm also just not drawn to reading it cover to cover like I was when the old regulars like John Humphries, "BB", Colin Willock etc etc were still with us. The end result is copies tend to sit about half read then added to the ever growing pile of half read ones that I eventually pass on to our village postman who does a bit of shooting as well. 

I know this has been discussed before but it's the same old story I guess, especially  when you get older and long standing publications become repetitive - and increasingly run by youngsters who have land, the right connections so spend all their time getting invitations to shoot all over the country. I've stopped subs more than once in the past but found I sort of missed dipping in to it usually over breakfast - odd really, more of a habit than anything I suppose. Over the years I also bought Sporting Gun and Countryman's weekly and occasionally one of the posh ones plus the membership mags from BASC, NGO, CA and others that build up into piles that eventually either get passed on, thrown away - apologies recycled. I have tended to save the Gamefair, Christmas and other "special issues" of ST that eventually get added to older piles of "special editions to be saved" stored in the loft, but these rarely get looked at again and in the past eventually got skipped or left behind when we've sold up and moved house. 

Edited by Miserableolgit

Thanks for heads up, just subscribed to Scribehound, looks good with most of my interests included and some that aren't [yet] first month free and at about £1 per a week after. Some on here with a writers bent scully "e.g" could send in their stories 

Edited by islandgun

17 minutes ago, Feltwad said:

I find that most articles  in shooting magazines are reprints or far from the truth. The Shooting Times published an article  some months ago  on Smythe  of Darlington  which gave a bad representation of a gunmaker   known has GUN MAKER OF THE NORTH.  I complained to the Shooting Times that what was published was far from the truth but I never had a reply

Feltwad

Some years back I was at the Weston Park Game Fair and paid a visit to the Shooting Times stand and I got talking to John Batley (spelling?) I pulled him about some of his pigeon shooting articles in the shooting times, he laughed and said….”well they are mainly aimed at the novice pigeon shooter, and yes, a lot of it is made up.

1 hour ago, Stimo22 said:

Sporting gun has been taken over by another publisher by the look of it. The proof reading must be nonexistent as there are loads of errors. There are less competitions and they have stopped taking letters to the editor. I will not be renewing my subscription when it runs out.

Countrymans weekly is now every two weeks and is a good read

It has. 

• 3 weeks later...

Excellent article in Scribehound today, "Predator Control what the Conservation Industry really think"

worth a look, I think you can have a read without subscribing but Im not sure that would be that happy if i posted the article

Edited by islandgun