Lead goose cartridge and tips

Lloyd90

16 minutes ago, London Best said:

It was nearly sixty years ago and I was mid-teens.  
BB was what all the ‘experts’ that wrote about it more than they did it were using in their books and ‘Shooting Times’. 
Unlike many others, I have learned something through experience.

And we are all in awe of your extensive knowledge LB, we'd never hit a bird between us if we didn't have you telling us how wrong we all are!

1 hour ago, London Best said:

It was nearly sixty years ago and I was mid-teens.  
BB was what all the ‘experts’ that wrote about it more than they did it were using in their books and ‘Shooting Times’. 
Unlike many others, I have learned something through experience.

The likes of Cadman and Watkins-Pitchford extolled the virtues of BB's 😉.

Last time I used lead on geese it was 1 5/8 oz Eley number 3s in the right barrel and 1 7/8 oz Winchester XXs number 2s in the left barrel. I don’t know what the modern equivalent would be as I still have a few left and haven’t had to replace any.

1 hour ago, Konor said:

Last time I used lead on geese it was 1 5/8 oz Eley number 3s in the right barrel and 1 7/8 oz Winchester XXs number 2s in the left barrel. I don’t know what the modern equivalent would be as I still have a few left and haven’t had to replace any.

👍👍 Man of my own heart Aya no 1/4 choke Eley 1-5/8oz 3's 1/2 choke Winchester 1-7/8 4's ( our 3's) but like yourself plenty of the 2's .

And now same choke's and mainly Steel 3's and 2's 😊

9 minutes ago, 6.5x55SE said:

👍👍 Man of my own heart Aya no 1/4 choke Eley 1-5/8oz 3's 1/2 choke Winchester 1-7/8 4's ( our 3's) but like yourself plenty of the 2's .

And now same choke's and mainly Steel 3's and 2's 😊

I used to use a Winchester model 23 waterfowl m/c eventually sold it on as it had a slight gap in the wood to metal by the trigger guard that annoyed me. I now have an AYA number 3 magnum and an old beretta xtrema. Next year should see me out a bit more. Best of luck for the rest of the season 👍

Going back to the day's when we never had the choice of heavy cartridges or the combination of the various chokes that seem all the rage nowadays , we always stuck to the cartridge of the day for geese which was Alpamax 3s in the right barrel and 1s in the left , I had a three inch but the above in 2 3/4 were ample.

For the duck the top cartridge of the day was Hymax 3 , 4 or 5s depending if you were on the marsh or the salting's 

Same with all chokes and cartridges , there isn't one combination that will suit everyone or what ever specie you are after . just use whatever YOU are happy with . 

1 hour ago, Konor said:

I used to use a Winchester model 23 waterfowl m/c eventually sold it on as it had a slight gap in the wood to metal by the trigger guard that annoyed me. I now have an AYA number 3 magnum and an old beretta xtrema. Next year should see me out a bit more. Best of luck for the rest of the season 👍

Yes i had a Winchester 23 supposed to be 1/4 and 1/2 choke but kept fluttering Geese and Duck down with the 1/4 choke got it checked out it was True cylinder so moved it on.

I to wish you the very best when you get yourself out 👍

• 3 weeks later...