Meal Replacement (Diet) Shakes

ph5172

After suffering an injury that has laid me up pretty much immobile for a few weeks I now need to start shifting some weight. 

My ability to train is also somewhat curtailed to low low impact and low requirement for foot and ankle flexion. 

I work long hours with minimal food prep facilities and floating meal timings. As such I think meal replacement shakes may be beneficial for the short term. 

i have tried them before and am not keen on any which are ‘bitty’ and any that are on the thick side. 

I used to use celebrityslimm but that appears to have disappeared or be very very expensive. 
I’m not too keen on the maximuscle stable. 

anyone have any ideas? 

Any diet be it Atkins, shakes, intermittent fasting, weight watchers, slim fast, are all just various tools and methods, the key to every single one of them is to get you to reduce your calorie consumption over the 24/48/72 hour period. 

If you don’t have any issues with diary, a simple whey protein shake, alongside a piece of fruit, would likely provide you with similar meal content but have better contents for protein etc. 

Go for a slow pace walk everyday for 30-60 minutes. 

Cut out the highly processed foods (it’s no magic as noted above, those are just foods that are extremely calorie dense), and if possible to do a bit of weight training 2-3 times a week for low weight but as heavy as you can for 3x5 reps you will start to see a real difference :) 

Best of luck, making effort to improve your health is always possible and always positive! 

13 hours ago, ph5172 said:

After suffering an injury that has laid me up pretty much immobile for a few weeks I now need to start shifting some weight. 

My ability to train is also somewhat curtailed to low low impact and low requirement for foot and ankle flexion. 

I work long hours with minimal food prep facilities and floating meal timings. As such I think meal replacement shakes may be beneficial for the short term. 

i have tried them before and am not keen on any which are ‘bitty’ and any that are on the thick side. 

I used to use celebrityslimm but that appears to have disappeared or be very very expensive. 

anyone have any ideas? 

The best way is high protein foods with high fats and fibre. All those shakes and powders are gimmicks designed for gullible people by greedy scumbags.

I weight train 5x week for the last 20yrs and never waste my money on those powders.Im 60 and get people asking my age all the time they think I'm 40 with a ripped core of a 30 Yr old .and stronger than many roid heads in the gym.The key is to eat small and often with protein in every meal this will loose your fat and tone your muscle up .ps stay away from carbs ie Bread,Pasta,Rice,potatoes, and the obvious sugar and processed ****.drink 2litres of water daily ps when I say eat fats (olive oil quality grass fed butter,coconut oil, these will give you energy and are used up better than carbs by the body for energy. 

I never really know what my day looks like and it’s tricky to plan meals. This results in a lot of grab and go. Also, 99% of the time, because of the lack of planning I only look for something to eat when I’ve left it too long and am starving.

The solution is pre-prepping meals and drinking lots of water, and I mean lots.

I start the day with 2 espressos, a pint of water and a bowl of porridge with 2 chopped up figs and half a banana. I am also at the age where a decent poop every morning can make or break how I feel during the rest of the day. Alas I am now at the age where I suspect that I will now be eating this breakfast forever. It’s hard because I’ve 3 young adults in the house who eat cooked breakfasts every day and turning down a bacon sandwich kills me. 

The problem with porridge is that by 1 pm I am so hungry I could eat my hands. I understand that is common with porridge - it does the business for 5 hours but after 5 hours it’s like a switch is flicked.

As for lunch, well that’s where it gets tricky with going out and client lunches. But aim for high protein low processed. Air fryer, systema lunch box things (Amazon), chicken, rice, chick peas etc. Massive ball ache and it all gets rather unexciting.

Also, watch the diet soda drinks and swerve them. Ditto booze and evening snacks which is where everyone over 40 appears to fall down.

Ozempic works - it just kills the appetite which partially recovers in the evening.

Fasting works too, but like all obvious depravation dieting it’s soul destroying.

On 13/01/2024 at 21:31, ph5172 said:

anyone have any ideas? 

I'd avoid the purpose made slimming shakes. They are just expensive whey protein powder, sweetener and artificial flavoring and very rarely contain anything else beneficial other than perhaps some multi vitamin powder. 

I'd go down the route of calorie counting via an app and limiting processed foods. Many apps are available with MyFitnessPal being my preferred.  Cut out almost everything with Birdseye or Iceland written on it and also anything pre-prepared which can be cooked in an air frier. Focus on non processed alternatives like meat, rice, potatoes,  vegetables etc. Protein shakes can form a part of this method but ensure that you read the nutrition table and ensure you are getting the least calories for your 30g or so of dry powder. Some powders aimed at gaining mass can be in the 100's of calories per serving. 

Low weight, high rep weight training focused on upper body to avoid your injury will also be beneficial. If you've never trained before then it would be worth paying for a few hours one off with a PT so you can be sure your form is correct and your maximising the benefits from your training without risking aggravating your injuries. 

• 1 month later...

I can vouch for PHD Diet Whey,

I lost about 50lb to get into the RAF using this,

I had a 2 scoop with water in the morning 

a snack of approx 200cals

a 2 scoop shake for lunch

another 200 cal snack 

and then chicken, rice, or lean protein meat and a simple carb option.

i lost 50 lb in about 7 months 

On 15/03/2024 at 14:53, BobbyH said:

I can vouch for PHD Diet Whey,

I lost about 50lb to get into the RAF using this,

I had a 2 scoop with water in the morning 

a snack of approx 200cals

a 2 scoop shake for lunch

another 200 cal snack 

and then chicken, rice, or lean protein meat and a simple carb option.

i lost 50 lb in about 7 months 

1 scoop is 91 kcal.

So you had 382kcals for breakfast. 

Another 382kcals for lunch. 

Then a dinner of lean meat and low fat carbs probably not anywhere near 1000kcal. 

I’d wager the fact you lost 50lb is from the largely reduced calorie intake…  not the brand of whey you used.

9 hours ago, Lloyd90 said:

1 scoop is 91 kcal.

So you had 382kcals for breakfast. 

Another 382kcals for lunch. 

Then a dinner of lean meat and low fat carbs probably not anywhere near 1000kcal. 

I’d wager the fact you lost 50lb is from the largely reduced calorie intake…  not the brand of whey you used.

That could be it yeah, I was in a severe calorie deficit. But the brand of protein shake was thick and filling, not watery and tasteless, maybe that contributed towards hunger cravings?

On 22/03/2024 at 07:11, BobbyH said:

That could be it yeah, I was in a severe calorie deficit. But the brand of protein shake was thick and filling, not watery and tasteless, maybe that contributed towards hunger cravings?

I used to use the phd protein powder when I went to the gym (far too long ago now), but the full fat version and as you say they make such nice tasting thicker shakes than most. I used to look forward to drinking them 😂