Dentist

corono

As soon as they are trained they get better offers from private practices and off they go.The system needs change, instead of paying NHS dentists a fee for the  treatment they carry out we should be paying them a fixed salary that can compete with private rip off places.

On 08/02/2024 at 12:37, TOPGUN749 said:

As soon as they are trained they get better offers from private practices and off they go.The system needs change, instead of paying NHS dentists a fee for the  treatment they carry out we should be paying them a fixed salary that can compete with private rip off places.

Most likely unsolvable, along with everything else. Just a further attempt to reintroduce the plebians to the dark ages.

Common sense has gone the way of the dinosaurs here, all by design.

On 11/02/2024 at 10:50, wymberley said:

Do the same as the armed forces except with a choice. Either pay the full  cost of the training as you get it and be free to do whatever on completion (the choice) or pay nowt but agree to work for the NHS for a given period after qualifying.

That can't possibly work, much too sensible...

I thought you paid tuition costs to study dentistry. 
Is it subsidised by the NHS? Surely if it was they would have to be a return of service. 

I doubt many private patients would be happy paying a dentist private prices after they had just qualified. 

Dentists are a likely example of the way the whole of the NHS will go eventually as the current arrangement is unaffordable:

- Better drugs and technologies mean that people live longer which costs money

- Better drugs and technologies cost more money in themselves

- our health professionals are underpaid so the NHS needs more money

A conversation with my NHS dentist went like this a few years ago..."Under the NHS the treatment is 'X' however that's not really the way it could be done for the best result, current dental techniques in the private sector are 'Y' so if you have a private dental plan this is the way we would approach it".  Hello Denplan - costs me about £50/month.

UK dentistry is already a two-tier system, the bare minimum vs getting the job done properly, seems only a matter of time before the rest of the NHS follows suit.

We had a great dentist worked out his house then he retired we went to another practice after they got all the old dentists patients they went private wanted £35 a month per person , We left there and went to one near the house at corvid they only dealt with emergencies' so after not being seen for 4 years we phoned up and asked what was happening . Oh your still registered here do you want a appointment but there's a 3 month wait so waited got treated needed nothing so see you in a year . I questioned a year yes we changed it we are so busy . They still have a sign up We Welcome NHS Patients