Norcro Fishing Rod

CaptC

Thank you - there was also an Australian reel with it which I will photograph later - Made by Acedemy Australia. It measures 5" diameter

2 minutes ago, Aled said:

Capstan House was a fishing tackle shop in Swansea, closed a few years ago now. 

Intersting! Thank you

This is the 5” diameter Australian reel that was on the rod. Academy stamped on the side. Rather novel line laying device! 

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

13 hours ago, CaptC said:

The reel was on the Norco  beach caster rod.The line on the reel is not for trotting. I don't think the last owner used it on the beach!

Hello, That looks like an old Silk fishing line on the reel , are you sure it is a beach rod ? , maybe the owner used it for Salmon fishing??

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

Hello Gordon

I've just pulled a few yards of line off the reel and it is definitely not a silk line. Pulling more line out it appears to change colour - white then pink to blue and looking deeper into the spool I can see yellow - with no joins!

The rod is made for a fixed spool reel (the first ring is 2" in diameter) so perhaps a beach rod. It's 10' long which is a bit short though? The clue might be the label of the retailer in Swansea - Capstan House who sold sea fishing gear. 

9 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello Paul, it looks much like an old fibreglass rod, 10 footer could be used for fishing off a Pier or Boat maybe as the reel is of Centrepin design???

Correct on both I think Gordon!

On 26/02/2024 at 15:42, CaptC said:

Rather novel line laying device! 

I missed this sentence and was about to comment when I finally spotted it while trying to avoid posting all the photo's again. It is novel, never seen anything like that before.

11 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello Paul, it looks much like an old fibreglass rod, 10 footer could be used for fishing off a Pier or Boat maybe as the reel is of Centrepin design???

Yep, solid glass at that.

2 minutes ago, wymberley said:

I missed this sentence and was about to comment when I finally spotted it while trying to avoid posting all the photo's again. It is novel, never seen anything like that before.

Just had another "mini" reel come in that has the same line layer - two in one week!

4 minutes ago, wymberley said:

No, Gordon it's tubular - just checked!

2 minutes ago, wymberley said:

That's mental! Has the same person had a clear out?

I bought a lot of rods, reels and end tackle from a deceased estate - 15' and 14' salmon rods included. Will dig out the small reel for a picture in five minutes

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

4 minutes ago, CaptC said:

I bought a lot of rods, reels and end tackle from a deceased estate - 15' and 14' salmon rods included. Will dig out the small reel for a picture in five minutes

4 minutes ago, CaptC said:

That's mental! Has the same person had a clear out?

Ah! Not a bad guess.

My dad had a Norco 10ft pier rod split cane circa 1950, used with centre pin, [we used to fish off a pier when I was a young lad.  Hollow glass would have been after that following solid glass, i would age your rod in the 1960's I thought at first the reel was an Alvey an Australian centrepin that turned around and allowed you to cast as a fixed spool, then turn back and reel in as a centrepin, Does it turn ?

Just now, oldypigeonpopper said:

another thought is the colour line maybe a way to determine the Depth of water 

I've not seen a line like it (except fly lines) If it was drier outside it would be interesting to see if the colours are equal length

Just now, wymberley said:

That just has to be a line layer, but just a shot in the dark - is it at all possible that it's a line trap (finger pressure) for casting?

No, the ring inside the parallel "bars" slides sideways

1 hour ago, islandgun said:

My dad had a Norco 10ft pier rod split cane circa 1950, used with centre pin, [we used to fish off a pier when I was a young lad.  Hollow glass would have been after that following solid glass, i would age your rod in the 1960's I thought at first the reel was an Alvey an Australian centrepin that turned around and allowed you to cast as a fixed spool, then turn back and reel in as a centrepin, Does it turn ?

Hello, Happy days IG 👍 I would guess a fibre tube glass rod with a spigot ferrule , i still have a fibre tube fly rod of the 1960s