Dead Hares and BOP dumped

Weihrauch17

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

1 minute ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, You have to be careful of these Hare Coursers as on my friends farm they had a run in with a few and the police were involved, They came back at night and set alight tons of straw bales!!!!

Life in a rural area is now largely 'un-policed'.  There are no local police stations (we used to have two within 2 miles both 24/7).  Neither local town has a 24/7 police station now, one having a small police 'office' in the council offices for handing in lost property etc.  It doesn't have any staff who 'go ouit' to incidents.  The 'regional' police stations (around 9 miles away for me) are not staffed 24/7.  The police are dispatched from around 15 miles away (unless there is one in the area for other things), so the response time is considerable - if they respond at all.  There is virtually no chance of catching anyone 'red handed' as the offenders know that the response will be slow and they have time on their side.

IF anything goes to trial, the accused can elect for trial by jury (for which there is a very long delay) and at the trial will produce a whole row of witnesses (from their community) who are prepared to swear that the accused were with them somewhere else when the incident took place.  If they were not caught 'red handed' and the police are acting on evidence, a jury won't convict as an apparently sound alibi delivered 'under oath' gives 'reasonable doubt'.  Trial by jury doesn't (and cannot) work well in a community that is prepared to lie under oath.  It is virtually impossible to secure a conviction - and so no real attempts are made to do so as it is seen as a big waste of time.

3 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, You have to be careful of these Hare Coursers as on my friends farm they had a run in with a few and the police were involved, They came back at night and set alight tons of straw bales!!!!

Sadly not the first time i have heard of this or farmers being threatened some farmers shot every hare on there land 

20 minutes ago, Bigbob said:

Sadly not the first time i have heard of this or farmers being threatened some farmers shot every hare on there land 

It was (and probably still is) the same with badger diggers (captured and used for baiting/fighting with dogs in gambling activities).  Been illegal for years, but still goes on in certain communities.

We used to have a lot of badgers, but now very controlled (fully legally and by licensed persons) due to DEFRA TB prevention measures.

Edited by JohnfromUK

I used to shoot the land adjacent to the estate where the 'Waterloo Cup ' was held. Obviously this attracted dog men from far and wide, some local, but a large number of travelling folk too. I never shot hares, but I was forced into doing that, after the Farmer was dragged from his tractor and beaten up for confronting a group of travelling folk. I used a rifle to virtually wipe out the hares on that land. Then, the local Council saw fit to erect a bridge across the river, which gave the illegal Hare coursers a crossing point to avoid getting wet.   🙄

2 hours ago, Westley said:

I used to shoot the land adjacent to the estate where the 'Waterloo Cup ' was held. Obviously this attracted dog men from far and wide, some local, but a large number of travelling folk too. I never shot hares, but I was forced into doing that, after the Farmer was dragged from his tractor and beaten up for confronting a group of travelling folk. I used a rifle to virtually wipe out the hares on that land. Then, the local Council saw fit to erect a bridge across the river, which gave the illegal Hare coursers a crossing point to avoid getting wet.   🙄

We did the same on a local farm at the landowners request, purely to deter ‘travellers’ from traipsing all over his property. 
Doesn’t sound like travellers are responsible in this case though. 🤷‍♂️