Dead Hares and BOP dumped

Weihrauch17

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

3 minutes ago, steve_b_wales said:

I wonder if some 'anti's ' have done this?

Reading the article from the link seems like poachers.But I hope it's sorted soon as this poaching and coursing is getting out of hand.Its not the romantic notion of one for the pot.Which a lot of non rural folk seem to think it is.Much bigger picture behind it all.Im sure somewhere someone will try to include shooting.

3 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

I wonder if some 'anti's ' have done 

So here we go. Someone on X formally twitter believes the birds of prey were shot with a shotgun Obviously they know more than anyone.

On the BBC front page just saying around 50 hares, a barn owl and a kestrel ( both birds attached to the door handles, chich makes it sound like it was targeted. 

Will be poachers or the like I would imagine but as above, nothing but anti shooting will come from this

2 hours ago, wisdom said:

The other thing really wrong with this is what a complete waste.

Hares normally make good money at the game dealers but I don't think you can sell them after a certain date in March , might be changed now but that was how it once was . :hmm:

10 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Hares normally make good money at the game dealers but I don't think you can sell them after a certain date in March , might be changed now but that was how it once was . 

Thanks for the info.Wasnt sure if it had changed.

7 minutes ago, wisdom said:

Thanks for the info.Wasnt sure if it had changed.

From BASC 

From 1 March to 31 July hares should only be killed if they are actually causing serious crop damage (as opposed to them being a potential source of risk). Not shooting at this time prevents the orphaning of dependent young during the hare's main breeding season.

The article I read, some locals who were interviewed, one of which was a game keeper, hinted very strongly at it being a member of a certain community that are often involved in hare coursing, dumping rubbish, trespass ect. He reckoned it was basically a two finger salute at the law.

To be fair, I don't think the shooting community is going to be blamed for this one.

24 minutes ago, 12gauge82 said:

The article I read, some locals who were interviewed, one of which was a game keeper, hinted very strongly at it being a member of a certain community that are often involved in hare coursing, dumping rubbish, trespass ect. He reckoned it was basically a two finger salute at the law.

To be fair, I don't think the shooting community is going to be blamed for this one.

Defiantly their 'style', and the article I read hinted that is the 'official thinking'.  If it is the case, nothing is likely to be done and it will quietly disappear from the news.

Coursers and Poachers have been intimidating "locals" for donkey's years.
Dead hares dumped outside farmers houses, or farms, hung in trees, same with local pubs and village halls.
Caravan dwellers are the usual suspects, but the article mentions deer,  pheasants and birds of prey and that is a bit unusual.
Rumours of an "international gambling gang" seems a bit far fetched,  but I have heard the Dwellers do gamble on which of their dogs performs the best, but "international" is a bit far fetched.

2 hours ago, 12gauge82 said:

Seriously, gun owners are always blamed  at some level, seemingly opportunities never missed?

24 minutes ago, Newbie to this said:

Is this not part of their 'protected' culture 

Possibly, the catty club?

14 hours ago, Rim Fire said:

I realy can't see someone catching  all this game then dumping it in a heap why carry it around all night just to dump it 

Also the article does not say how the hares and rabbits were killed but if it was running dogs they would have to cover a lot of ground over a number of nights to kill those numbers.

They dont say how the kestrel, barn owl, pheasants or deer were killed, were firearm used?