Welding Stainless Steel

I have just broken a tine off of my favourite garden fork. I hate heavy clay soil. I know I could replace the fork, but it wouldn’t be this one. Would the tine be able to be welded back on, and if so would it be as strong?

Just now, Sussexboy said:

I have just broken a tine off of my favourite garden fork. I hate heavy clay soil. I know I could replace the fork, but it wouldn’t be this one. Would the tine be able to be welded back on, and if so would it be as strong?

i did the same thing many years ago...........yes it can be welded on.....i found that where the break was ..there was a fault in the metal....that was 15 years ago ..still going strong

Thank you gentlemen. I shall have a word with my friendly metal fabricator, if I can track him down.

41 minutes ago, ditchman said:

i did the same thing many years ago...........yes it can be welded on.....i found that where the break was ..there was a fault in the metal....that was 15 years ago ..still going strong

Indeed, there must have been a crack in the metal as part of the break is shiny and part is a dull brown. It seems daft, but this fork just fits me and I want to keep it going.

On 04/04/2024 at 17:00, Rim Fire said:

Had this happen and got it stainless welded and it still broke 

Job’s comforter comes to mind 😂

Centre drill the tine and fork body and stick a small rod in, groove the edges out a tad and weld it up, preheat both sides a bit too, always helps the odd bits and pieces of welding I have done previously.

If its already bajaxxed, you have nothing to fear if you wreck it trying to fix it.

On 09/04/2024 at 12:58, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, You could take to that man with the beard and works in an old barn 🤔😄, failing that if you do not weld try a local blacksmith

Do you mean Dominic Chinea?
He’d get it sorted in no time.

OB

34 minutes ago, Old Boggy said:

Do you mean Dominic Chinea?
He’d get it sorted in no time.

OB

Hello, It was a tongue in cheek remark so hope the PW members not to offended, is that his name OB ??, i watched the first series as it was new and interesting , not so sure now, , i have welded a few but many years ago but these were steel tines, i was always getting asked to fix some thing metal or replace a plastic item to metal, the favourite was on the rotary washing line dryers when they first come out on sale, any way perhaps Sussex Boy could up date on progress of fixing his favourite garden fork ??

Edited by oldypigeonpopper

42 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, It was a tongue in cheek remark so hope the PW members not to offended, is that his name OB ??, i watched the first series as it was new and interesting , not so sure now, , i have welded a few but many years ago but these were steel tines, i was always getting asked to fix some thing metal or replace a plastic item to metal, the favourite was on the rotary washing line dryers when they first come out on sale, any way perhaps Sussex Boy could up date on progress of fixing his favourite garden fork ??

Hi OPP, I realise it was a tongue in cheek remark but just checking whether that was the guy you meant.

I know that The Repair Shop is very orchestrated but still find it good to watch, especially that Suzie Fletcher, she could tan my hide any day:whistling:.

Sorry to the OP for slightly derailing his thread.

OB

12 hours ago, Old Boggy said:

Hi OPP, I realise it was a tongue in cheek remark but just checking whether that was the guy you meant.

I know that The Repair Shop is very orchestrated but still find it good to watch, especially that Suzie Fletcher, she could tan my hide any day:whistling:.

Sorry to the OP for slightly derailing his thread.

OB

if you watch closely you can see her false teeth move..

14 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Aye, I’ll give an update once I get something achieved!