What if my sgc gets rejected?

I'm thinking of taking up clay shooting as a hobby. I've been a couple of times and want to go more often, but it's fairly expensive to go as a "lesson" and some of the local ranges only allow practice sessions if you have your own gun. I understand to pass the sgc application you need to be considered mentally sound and not of a violent nature (among other things obviously) but my worry is, I have a history of depression up til a few years ago, and I was charged with assault 6 years ago. I'd like to think I'm a completely different person now, but I'm not sure whether the police will see it like that. What are my chances (if any) of being accepted if I were to apply later this year? TIA 

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

40 minutes ago, aidan95 said:

I'm thinking of taking up clay shooting as a hobby. I've been a couple of times and want to go more often, but it's fairly expensive to go as a "lesson" and some of the local ranges only allow practice sessions if you have your own gun. I understand to pass the sgc application you need to be considered mentally sound and not of a violent nature (among other things obviously) but my worry is, I have a history of depression up til a few years ago, and I was charged with assault 6 years ago. I'd like to think I'm a completely different person now, but I'm not sure whether the police will see it like that. What are my chances (if any) of being accepted if I were to apply later this year? TIA 

I would ring your FEO and sound them out.  Just having a go is now expensive with the required Medical Certificate.

First off, welcome to PW

I am no expert on such things but I would imagine the depression is not such an issue, there are plenty of people who have been successful with their application suffering with such illness.

The charge of assault is another question as it covers a wide area, it all depends on how serious the assault was and how the police will view it in regards you having a firearm, I would suggest you put together a well written letter and if possible a letter from your doctor and a couple of character references and see what they say before applying.

unfortunately its not an easy question to answer as you have allot of factors.

1.  you need to assess your own state and be honest with yourself (dont share on here as its a personal thing) how severe your depression is/was, what were the causes and if they still have an impact if your depression had/has a cause at all.  is/was medication involved.

2. the nature of your charge.  again dont share on here,   was it a dynamic drunken out of character teenage even, or was this a pre meditated event in adult life or somewhere inbetween?.

and as others have said above a honest straight forward conversation with your FAO not only allows you to sound them out, but it also shows considerable maturity, grown and awareness of the situation and can really only stand you in a better position.

being completely honest about what i think your chances are and in the current climate id say 1/5 chance but honestly best of luck mate, life's hard and its everyone first go at it and the past is exactly that imo

Edited by Sweet11-87

I think a lot would depend on where about you live. In Bedfordshire they are revisiting old cases and revoking certificates. We have had two clay club members who have lost certificates due to having accusations made against them during divorce proceedings. Neither was proved but that does not matter to the police. So if you are in that area I doubt that you stand much chance

10 minutes ago, Stimo22 said:

I think a lot would depend on where about you live. In Bedfordshire they are revisiting old cases and revoking certificates. We have had two clay club members who have lost certificates due to having accusations made against them during divorce proceedings. Neither was proved but that does not matter to the police. So if you are in that area I doubt that you stand much chance

Did they have their ticket’s revoked whilst the accusations were on going?

Edited by old'un

23 minutes ago, old'un said:

Did they have their ticket’s revoked whilst the accusations were on going?

Yes but later got them back. Bedfordshire have revisited these old cases and revoked the certificate. One member even went to court but could not get it back. We also have one member in Thames Valley area who is worried that the same may happen in that area

1 hour ago, Stimo22 said:

Yes but later got them back. Bedfordshire have revisited these old cases and revoked the certificate. One member even went to court but could not get it back. We also have one member in Thames Valley area who is worried that the same may happen in that area

That situation is not really relevant to the OP

16 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

On the basic details provided, I think the OP will struggle. Anyone would need the full script to pass proper judgement, but in these cases, the full details are normally drip fed.

I was pointing out that if he is in an area like Bedfordshire and he has a conviction for assault then he is unlikely to get a certificate 

Thank you all you've been very helpful. I didn't realise the money for the sgc application was refunded if rejected so that's a bit of a relief, I was worried I'd waste £80 just to be told no. I won't be applying until at least a few months down the line due to funding, but once I do get round to it I'll update.

14 minutes ago, aidan95 said:

Thank you all you've been very helpful. I didn't realise the money for the sgc application was refunded if rejected so that's a bit of a relief, I was worried I'd waste £80 just to be told no. I won't be applying until at least a few months down the line due to funding, but once I do get round to it I'll update.

The money for your Medical Cert won't be refunded, ring your FEO before you waste your money.

How much am I looking to spend in total roughly? I'm hampshire based if that helps, I know the SGC application fee is £79.50, how much is the medical certificate? I've heard GPs can charge varying rates to fill out the medical side of it aswell. Also if it does get rejected will they tell me what it was rejected for? And how long would I have to wait to apply again?

I don't think you would get the specific detail for a refusal. I suspect you would be informed that you had been refused. At best, you might be told that theChief Constable felt unable to authorise a certificate, based on the information you and your GP provided.

Save yourself a lot time, worry, money and speak to your FEO. 

9 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I don't think you would get the specific detail for a refusal. I suspect you would be informed that you had been refused. At best, you might be told that theChief Constable felt unable to authorise a certificate, based on the information you and your GP provided.

Save yourself a lot time, worry, money and speak to your FEO. 

Would they not even say "refused on medical/criminal grounds?" I suppose the only way I'll know for sure is to apply obviously, just trying to get as much info as possible beforehand. Also, when I apply I know I'll need a gun safe to keep it in if it is accepted. If I buy the safe but don't bolt it to the wall (so I can sell if it's rejected) would that help the case at all? Or would it need to be fully installed for them to consider it? Just trying to get as many angles covered as I can. TIA

application is around £80, medical can be anywhere from free to £150  and safes that will pass inspection for as little as £200 off ebay. So if all goes well its a ticket in your hand for roughly £300-£500 quid. 

1000 cartridges is about £300 and climbing and 1000 clays is about the same and also going up.  its not a cheap hobby to get into

19 minutes ago, Sweet11-87 said:

application is around £80, medical can be anywhere from free to £150  and safes that will pass inspection for as little as £200 off ebay. So if all goes well its a ticket in your hand for roughly £300-£500 quid. 

1000 cartridges is about £300 and climbing and 1000 clays is about the same and also going up.  its not a cheap hobby to get into

Come on! Of course it is. I recently learned hat a season ticket for a local football stadium can be over £800. No comparison.

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Come on! Of course it is. I recently learned hat a season ticket for a local football stadium can be over £800. No comparison.

if you could make my clay shooting cost £800 from august to may id pay you for it now

1 hour ago, Sweet11-87 said:

if you could make my clay shooting cost £800 from august to may id pay you for it now

Yeah, but the season ticket to watch football is a waste of money. 
Thinking about it, I am sure I haven’t spent anywhere near that much on clay shooting in the last sixty plus years!
Please can you make my next season’s game shooting cost just £800 instead of £800/day?

Edited by London Best

4 hours ago, Sweet11-87 said:

I'm not too worries about clay/cartridge cost as I can only use ones purchased at the range while there. As for the assault charge there was no sentance or court appearance, just a surcharge and 12 month probation period (as in just stay out of trouble for a year, not 12 months with a PO)

1 hour ago, London Best said:

Yeah, but the season ticket to watch football is a waste of money. 
Thinking about it, I am sure I haven’t spent anywhere near that much on clay shooting in the last sixty plus years!
Please can you make my next season’s game shooting cost just £800 instead of £800/day?

just so irrelevant to the thread.

back on topic  

one way you may find out more information is to contact basc. i dont know if theyll give you time of day if youre a none member but they can be contacted still and may give you better guidance than you might find on here.

https://basc.org.uk/firearms-licensing/