What if my sgc gets rejected?

As for the assault charge there was no sentance or court appearance, just a surcharge and 12 month probation period (as in just stay out of trouble for a year, not 12 months with a PO)

Can you clarify how you managed to get probation without appearing at the Mags court?

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

45 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

Can you clarify how you managed to get probation without appearing at the Mags court?

Like I said not probation in the sense of being ordered to meet with a probation officer, i may be using the wrong term, basically I admitted it straight away so no need to go to court, just paid the fine but was given a 12 month "probationary period" that meant anything I got in trouble for in that 12 months would go straight to court as a criminal hearing. Hope this is a bit more accurately worded, it was a long time ago and I struggle to remember a lot of the details thrown around.

I may be wrong but unless you want to take up clay shooting seriously why not just go along with a mate and shoot one of their guns. I am pretty sure if you get a SGC you dont intend to go alone.

Like I said not probation in the sense of being ordered to meet with a probation officer, i may be using the wrong term, basically I admitted it straight away so no need to go to court, just paid the fine but was given a 12 month "probationary period" that meant anything I got in trouble for in that 12 months would go straight to court as a criminal hearing. Hope this is a bit more accurately worded,

I don't believe you can get a fixed penalty for assault. This is what I meant when I said details are normally drip fed. 

38 minutes ago, DUNKS said:

I may be wrong but unless you want to take up clay shooting seriously why not just go along with a mate and shoot one of their guns. I am pretty sure if you get a SGC you dont intend to go alone.

I do want to take up clay shooting seriously eventually, that's why I wanna get the sgc, so I can go to the range on my own or eventually gain permission to shoot on private land. None of my mates have got sgc's and even less actually go shooting/beating, I'd just like to take up clays as a bit of an outdoor hobby 

42 minutes ago, aidan95 said:

Like I said not probation in the sense of being ordered to meet with a probation officer, i may be using the wrong term, basically I admitted it straight away so no need to go to court, just paid the fine but was given a 12 month "probationary period" that meant anything I got in trouble for in that 12 months would go straight to court as a criminal hearing. Hope this is a bit more accurately worded, it was a long time ago and I struggle to remember a lot of the details thrown around.

Understand what you're saying about the 'probation'. Your offence couldn't have been too serious - my previous 'three months' doesn't come into it -  but the 'assault' word remains the iffy bit. Yep, see the FEO and be as upfront and honest as you possibly can.

5 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I don't believe you can get a fixed penalty for assault. This is what I meant when I said details are normally drip fed. 

The closest I could get was PND for D&D, but I don't believe there's a FPN or PND for assault. Also fines do not come with any conditions. 

Any conditions on release from custody would be for bail, not for disposal. But, it could be conditions from a community resolution, but these are not usually tied in with a PND.

I suspect the fountain has been tainted.

38 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

The closest I could get was PND for D&D, but I don't believe there's a FPN or PND for assault. Also fines do not come with any conditions. 

Any conditions on release from custody would be for bail, not for disposal. But, it could be conditions from a community resolution, but these are not usually tied in with a PND.

I suspect the fountain has been tainted.

36 minutes ago, Gordon R said:

I suspected that from post one. Nothing has changed. The lack of detail is pointed. The story changes - blamed on poor memory. 🙂 🙂

Out of fairness to the OP, although it wasn't quite the same, you're never going to guess who won the HLPACA for what can be described as a precedent for the action described by the OP and taken against him.

10 hours ago, Gordon R said:

I suspected that from post one. Nothing has changed. The lack of detail is pointed. The story changes - blamed on poor memory. 🙂 🙂

Story never changed Gordon, I elaborated a little bit more in the hope it would explain the situation better. As for blaming it on poor memory, without having every single detail on paper from a case that happened 6 years ago I'd challenge anybody to remember the exact process. I'm more than happy to share any information you wish if knowing the whole story will help you build a better idea of my chances on being accepted for an sgc, but the fact of the matter is I didn't go to court, I didn't go to jail, all I did was go to the interview to give a statement and admitted it straight away. I don't really see how any other information will change the outcome of those facts. Once my local FEO responds and I can have a chat with them, go through everything with more detail to make notes and get their professional advice I can update everything as needed, I'm just going on the limited information I have currently.

Curiosity got the better of me and I wondered whether what is being described by the OP was a a police caution, possibly a Conditional Caution. 

As an alternative to  prosecution the offender is required to follow certain conditions as an alternative to prosecution and these condition can also include a fine. (Sentencing Council). If it was one of these then it seems that it would show up on basic DBS checks.

just a thought. Now back to my morning paper

8 minutes ago, Bobba said:

Curiosity got the better of me and I wondered whether what is being described by the OP was a a police caution, possibly a Conditional Caution. 

As an alternative to  prosecution the offender is required to follow certain conditions as an alternative to prosecution and these condition can also include a fine. (Sentencing Council). If it was one of these then it seems that it would show up on basic DBS checks.

just a thought. Now back to my morning paper

That sounds about right actually, thank you that's probably what I meant :)

58 minutes ago, aidan95 said:

Story never changed Gordon, I elaborated a little bit more in the hope it would explain the situation better. As for blaming it on poor memory, without having every single detail on paper from a case that happened 6 years ago I'd challenge anybody to remember the exact process. I'm more than happy to share any information you wish if knowing the whole story will help you build a better idea of my chances on being accepted for an sgc, but the fact of the matter is I didn't go to court, I didn't go to jail, all I did was go to the interview to give a statement and admitted it straight away. I don't really see how any other information will change the outcome of those facts. Once my local FEO responds and I can have a chat with them, go through everything with more detail to make notes and get their professional advice I can update everything as needed, I'm just going on the limited information I have currently.

Regardless of you not being able to remember the exact process after 6 years, the police will obviously have ALL the details of your assault case.

As I said earlier, the charge of assault is another question as it covers a wide area, it all depends on how serious the assault was and how the police will view it in regards you having a firearm.

I think we/you have reached a point in this thread where more detail of your case will not help the outcome, I did suggest a well written letter but as you now have an interview booked with a FEO, I would just wait for your interview as they will be the ones who decide your fate, not us.

Good luck :good:

4 minutes ago, aidan95 said:

That sounds about right actually, thank you that's probably what I meant :)

If it is a conditional caution then you have pleaded "guilty" and stated you did that action that formed the case. Assault is an odd one, you could have nudged someone accidentally but still assaulted them, through to using words, to more. I can't help but think that this will preclude you from owning a licence, and whilst not an automatic ban, they will have a weight of probability around suitability.

Good luck with your application and hopefully you get closure one way or another without too much delay.

11.15 states you should get a reason if refused:

https://library.college.police.uk/docs/homeoffice/Guide-on-Firearms-Licensing-Law-2012-13-Shotgun-Certificate.pdf

1 hour ago, HantsRob said:

If it is a conditional caution then you have pleaded "guilty" and stated you did that action that formed the case. Assault is an odd one, you could have nudged someone accidentally but still assaulted them, through to using words, to more. I can't help but think that this will preclude you from owning a licence, and whilst not an automatic ban, they will have a weight of probability around suitability.

I have a slightly different take on it.
The 'assault' whatever it was, being dealt with by a caution, COULD have been a minor obstacle , depending on the force area , and nature.
But 'a history of depression' would have alarm bells going off in the head of the FLM when coming to the final decision, when combining the 2 together , and the inherent mindset of SOME force areas to not take any risks in issuing firearms certs.....

My opinion of the possibility of the  OP being granted an SGC is very low.

9 minutes ago, Rewulf said:

I have a slightly different take on it.
The 'assault' whatever it was, being dealt with by a caution, COULD have been a minor obstacle , depending on the force area , and nature.
But 'a history of depression' would have alarm bells going off in the head of the FLM when coming to the final decision, when combining the 2 together , and the inherent mindset of SOME force areas to not take any risks in issuing firearms certs.....

My opinion of the possibility of the  OP being granted an SGC is very low.

Yes, I focused on the admittance of guilt over the assault. Tied in with the history of depression, it could make them linked even if that's not the case. But regardless, I would tend to agree with your opinion, but I will of course wish the OP all the success regardless.

12 minutes ago, HantsRob said:

Yes, I focused on the admittance of guilt over the assault. Tied in with the history of depression, it could make them linked even if that's not the case. But regardless, I would tend to agree with your opinion, but I will of course wish the OP all the success regardless.

:good:

3 hours ago, aidan95 said:

Thanks guys you've been reasonably helpful, just gotta wait to see what the FEO says when I can speak to them.

If you've not already sounded him/her out, it may just be beneficial to get your GP's opinion beforehand. Although he/she can't make the decision, that opinion will go a long way in assisting plod to make theirs. Smarty points all being well if you can say that you've got this info' to show that you don't want to be wasting their (plods') time.

Good luck.

29 minutes ago, wymberley said:

If you've not already sounded him/her out, it may just be beneficial to get your GP's opinion beforehand. Although he/she can't make the decision, that opinion will go a long way in assisting plod to make theirs. Smarty points all being well if you can say that you've got this info' to show that you don't want to be wasting their (plods') time.

Good luck.

Yea I'll need to get hold of them for the proforma anyway, couldn't hurt to get their opinion before hand, could I do that by just booking an appointment with my gp? Thanks mate

39 minutes ago, aidan95 said:

Yea I'll need to get hold of them for the proforma anyway, couldn't hurt to get their opinion before hand, could I do that by just booking an appointment with my gp? Thanks mate

You could but as you're not ill it may not go down too well if the surgery is busy with sick folk. Best have a word of explanation with the receptionist - just hope you haven't got one of those 'you won't get passed me' gorilla types.

2 hours ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

no you won't, it's part of the FAC/SGC application package you download/print from your police forces website 

Oh do I need to send it to them from there then? I thought I had to have that done before filling in the application as I know some charge for it, just assumed I'd have to get them to do that before applying

1 hour ago, wymberley said:

You could but as you're not ill it may not go down too well if the surgery is busy with sick folk. Best have a word of explanation with the receptionist - just hope you haven't got one of those 'you won't get passed me' gorilla types.

Tbh mate even trying to get a gp appointment is a nightmare here, not sure if it's the same across hampshire but my area is terrible. Would I be better off trying to email my gp directly? If that's even possible obviously 

Whilst I wish anyone, who is suitable and wants to enter shooting, every success, I genuinely think you need to speak to your FEO. If they are optimistic, you can then apply and part of that will be getting a medical opinion.