Roast chicken dinner

Lloyd90

1 minute ago, old'un said:

For the best roast chicken its got to-be a rotisserie oven, they do a rotisserie air fryer but there's not much room for anything else when cooking a whole chicken on the rotisserie.

totally agree.....in the early 80's i bought the Mrs a cannon cooker (gas)..and that had an gas flip down grill/ rotisseri.....we used it regular for chicken or a boned out breast of lamb.........................

as you say rotissi roasted chicken ....nothing better...or duck or pork or lamb...........never ever did beef tho'

Gosh, this could develop into a gravey thread !!

I can’t use veg water because I steam my veg. So, mine is variation on a theme.  If it’s roast lunch / dinner I achieve the same thing by frying off / soften a small onion, add water, veg cube worcs sauce and herbs and all the vegetable trimmings chopped. eg cauli and broccoli leaves a stump, carrot / swede peel etc. I do not include potato or parsnip peel. It’s not time consuming because I’m preparing the veg anyway. This simmers for ages while preparing the rest of the meal. It’s strained off and when the meat is resting the veg water is used to get all of the meat juices from the roasting tin then thickened with bisto. Gert Lush.

2 minutes ago, ditchman said:

totally agree.....in the early 80's i bought the Mrs a cannon cooker (gas)..and that had an gas flip down grill/ rotisseri.....we used it regular for chicken or a boned out breast of lamb.........................

as you say rotissi roasted chicken ....nothing better...or duck or pork or lamb...........never ever did beef tho'

Yep, we had a Moffat oven with built in rotisserie, some of the best tasting chicken ever, unfortunately they don't make many ovens with a rotisserie now but you can get an air fryer with built in rotisserie, we have been looking at them...https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09437HXR8?tag=bbc00-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&ref=bbcgoodfood-305167&ascsubtag=bbcgoodfood-305167

Nowadays, we don't roast a whole chicken. Too much for the two of us, but my wife takes skin-on chicken thighs, bones them out and stuffs them with Boursin, wraps the lot with parma ham or streaky bacon and airfries it.

Soft, juicy, flavourful chicken with crispy ham and skin.

Deeleecious

57 minutes ago, old'un said:

Yep, we had a Moffat oven with built in rotisserie, some of the best tasting chicken ever, unfortunately they don't make many ovens with a rotisserie now but you can get an air fryer with built in rotisserie, we have been looking at them...https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B09437HXR8?tag=bbc00-21&linkCode=ogi&th=1&ref=bbcgoodfood-305167&ascsubtag=bbcgoodfood-305167

Have a look at the “Scoville” SAF101B Air fryer oven at Asda. 11 ltrs with rotisserie. Significantly cheaper than the Breville and good reviews. B-in-Law bought us one for Xmas. Yet to try the rotisserie function. He uses it often and is very pleased with results.

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Did you cook the Chicken in one of those Air Fryers Loyd ?? i am still debating getting one 🤔

No mate ours isn’t big enough for a whole chicken. 

Just in the oven. I think it was more the type of chicken that made it so good / crispy. 

If I buy those bake in the bag ones when done there’s a tray almost completely full of water! With these there’s hardly any run off. 

https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/p-specially-selected-british-free-range-corn-fed-whole-chicken-fresh-class-a-without-giblets-typically-19kg/2805250000000

21 minutes ago, Lloyd90 said:

No mate ours isn’t big enough for a whole chicken. 

Just in the oven. I think it was more the type of chicken that made it so good / crispy. 

If I buy those bake in the bag ones when done there’s a tray almost completely full of water! With these there’s hardly any run off. 

https://groceries.aldi.co.uk/en-GB/p-specially-selected-british-free-range-corn-fed-whole-chicken-fresh-class-a-without-giblets-typically-19kg/2805250000000

Hello, thanks to reply

1 hour ago, Lloyd90 said:

If I buy those bake in the bag ones when done there’s a tray almost completely full of water!

You can't beat a crispy skin on roast chicken 😋

Roast in the bag chicken used to be convenient for me,,,, never again because of all the 'fluid' once cooked 😧

Also, IMO, gravy must be made using some part of the main meal,,,, meat juices or veg water etc 👍 plus other 'seasoning' to suit 😁

Hhhhahhahaa.............yew lot mek me larf:lol:

all the diablical death and destruction and horrible murdering and WW3 looming.............and we are going to war about the viscosity of gravy.........TYPICAL ENGLISH :lol:

6 hours ago, amateur said:

Nowadays, we don't roast a whole chicken. Too much for the two of us, but my wife takes skin-on chicken thighs, bones them out and stuffs them with Boursin, wraps the lot with parma ham or streaky bacon and airfries it.

Soft, juicy, flavourful chicken with crispy ham and skin.

Deeleecious

There's only two of us, we buy a 1.5 kilo chicken (Lidl) that does us for 3 days, first day full roast dinner, veg, stuffing balls and proper gravy, not to thick, not to thin, day 2, chicken chips stuffing balls and peas (with gravy) day 3, make sandwiches with what's left and served with a few chip, couple of stuffing balls each and pickled Spanish onion, never any waste.

13 minutes ago, old'un said:

There's only two of us, we buy a 1.5 kilo chicken (Lidl) that does us for 3 days, first day full roast dinner, veg, stuffing balls and proper gravy, not to thick, not to thin, day 2, chicken chips stuffing balls and peas (with gravy) day 3, make sandwiches with what's left and served with a few chip, couple of stuffing balls each and pickled Spanish onion, never any waste.

Aah!

My wife would have stretched it even further by boiling the carcass and stripping any remaining bits of flesh off it, then using the flesh and some of the stock to make a chicken and vegetable curry for another day and the rest of the stock to make Chinese chicken, vegetable and noodle soup.

6 minutes ago, amateur said:

Aah!

My wife would have stretched it even further by boiling the carcass and stripping any remaining bits of flesh off it, then using the flesh and some of the stock to make a chicken and vegetable curry for another day and the rest of the stock to make Chinese chicken, vegetable and noodle soup.

Not too much for two then if she can pull that off. :whistling:

1 hour ago, ditchman said:

Hhhhahhahaa.............yew lot mek me larf

all the diablical death and destruction and horrible murdering and WW3 looming.............and we are going to war about the viscosity of gravy.........TYPICAL ENGLISH 

Have you not seen the adverts for the new upcoming programme on the tellybox  ? It's on channel XYZ and called "GRAVY WARS !" 🥳😁😂

7 hours ago, JKD said:

You can't beat a crispy skin on roast chicken 😋

Roast in the bag chicken used to be convenient for me,,,, never again because of all the 'fluid' once cooked 😧

Also, IMO, gravy must be made using some part of the main meal,,,, meat juices or veg water etc 👍 plus other 'seasoning' to suit 😁

Are you the GRAVY POLICE?   :lol:

Just now, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Are you the GRAVY POLICE?   :lol:

It's only an opinion deary 😘😆 Anyway,,,, there's only one GRAVY POLICEPERSON on here,,,, our Billy from bonny Scotland 🤦😂