Laburnum.

JDog

That's sad.  When I was a boy some friends of my parents had a huge and very old laburnum in their garden and it was almost more chains and props than tree.  Looked lovely when in flower, but a bit like some piece of industrial archaeology in winter!  There is a wonderful long laburnum arch/tunnel at a National Trust place (possibly Bodnant in north Wales?)

Laburnum timber is lovely stuff, In France is was know as Bois De Arc, or Wood of the bow as it is said to have similar properties to Yew.

The sapwood is a pale cream with a dark orangy brown heartwood. Sapwood is very susceptible to woodworm etc the heartwood isnt!

It used to be highly sought after for instrument making etc. Its also poisonous like its seeds so working or sanding it you need a dust mask.

17 hours ago, Imperfection said:

That picture reminded me of my youth. My parents had a big one in back garden and looked wonderful when in flower.

Was only when i grew up did i find out its seed pods are poisonous. Don't think our parents even knew.

We too had one, but were made aware not to eat anything off the tree. (Dad was a very keen gardener) Poisonous from roots to seed pods..

37 minutes ago, Dougy said:

We too had one, but were made aware not to eat anything off the tree. (Dad was a very keen gardener) Poisonous from roots to seed pods..

when i was in primary school SYCC cut all of them on school property down,county wide.

for the very reason regarding the seed pods.

1 hour ago, Zoli 12 guage said:

when i was in primary school SYCC cut all of them on school property down,county wide.

for the very reason regarding the seed pods.

Typical mampy pampy state. Remove the risk I understand but you also remove the common sense. 

On 23/05/2024 at 13:12, JohnfromUK said:

There is a wonderful long laburnum arch/tunnel at a National Trust place (possibly Bodnant in north Wales?)

It was Bodnant.  NT have posted these today (their photos)

A view through the walkway under an archway of fountains of golden flowers, the sun shining through and casting shadows onto the path ahead.

An arch of golden flowers just starting to blossom, with hints of green leaves through the yellow flowers, the path stretching out beneath them.

I was just admiring some spectacular specimens last weekend, you can't beat them for the show of flowers - like golden rain.

Unfortunately all parts of the tree are poisonous so we had to take extra care when we had a springer a pup that liked to chew wood 

On 23/05/2024 at 23:06, Keith 66 said:

Laburnum timber is lovely stuff, In France is was know as Bois De Arc, or Wood of the bow as it is said to have similar properties to Yew.

The sapwood is a pale cream with a dark orangy brown heartwood. Sapwood is very susceptible to woodworm etc the heartwood isnt!

It used to be highly sought after for instrument making etc. Its also poisonous like its seeds so working or sanding it you need a dust mask.

that is interesting....i wonder if there are any bows out there made from Laburnum..................we had quite a rare on in our garden it was a tricolour