Fuel expense (3 years)

For a laugh, I have kept a record of how much I've paid out for fuel (petrol) since I bought my car, new on 3/6/21. I added it up just now and it's come to £3947:20, which includes filling up this morning (£51:00 worth) and this equates to £109:64 per month approx.

I've also kept a record of the mileage (zero when purchased) but haven't checked that yet, but will do on Monday after using the car later and tomorrow. 

Edited by steve_b_wales

i have an even better system

I DONT KEEP ANY RECORDS

this way it is far less painful

PS ...work out how much of that goes to the govt'...............now that will make you cry

I don't have any formal records, but back in 1987 I ended up (for around 9 months) with a commute run of 90 miles each way each day, and the car I had then (Daimler) did around 17-18 mpg, so a little over 10 gallons a day.  I wouldn't want that now!

30 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I don't have any formal records, but back in 1987 I ended up (for around 9 months) with a commute run of 90 miles each way each day, and the car I had then (Daimler) did around 17-18 mpg, so a little over 10 gallons a day.  I wouldn't want that now!

With take home pay now over 4x as much as 1987,and petrol just under 4x as much it should be more affordable now!

4 minutes ago, TOPGUN749 said:

With take home pay now over 4x as much as 1987,and petrol just under 4x as much it should be more affordable now!

I was working then (and fairly well paid) and I'm retired now, so I 'take home' less in real terms than I did then.  If you are doing a long day and a long drive at each end, a big comfortable and 'laid back' car is a great help.

20 minutes ago, TOPGUN749 said:

I look at what I earned back in 1987, to what I earn now, and, pound for pound, with everything going/gone up in price, I was slightly better off then.

I packed up full time work in 2002. With a little part time job fuel cost wasn’t too bad through the Summer. As soon as the shooting season started I was out five or six days a week either loading or picking up. If I had a free day I would go stalking. I was all over the country. Fuel cost averaged around £200/week. This lasted fourteen seasons. It was worth every penny.

10 minutes ago, JohnfromUK said:

I was working then (and fairly well paid) and I'm retired now, so I 'take home' less in real terms than I did then.  If you are doing a long day and a long drive at each end, a big comfortable and 'laid back' car is a great help.

Agreed! I remember working 40 hours and taking home around £85 in 1987,today probably over £400 if still working.

11 minutes ago, London Best said:

I packed up full time work in 2002. With a little part time job fuel cost wasn’t too bad through the Summer. As soon as the shooting season started I was out five or six days a week either loading or picking up. If I had a free day I would go stalking. I was all over the country. Fuel cost averaged around £200/week. This lasted fourteen seasons. It was worth every penny.

In 2002 my total nett wage was under £200 a week for everything !

5 hours ago, steve_b_wales said:

For a laugh, I have kept a record of how much I've paid out for fuel (petrol) since I bought my car, new on 3/6/21. I added it up just now and it's come to £3947:20, which includes filling up this morning (£51:00 worth) and this equates to £109:64 per month approx.

I've also kept a record of the mileage (zero when purchased) but haven't checked that yet, but will do on Monday after using the car later and tomorrow. 

Bought a van for the business in April 2005, first fuel was £30 for 34 and a half litres of diesel, business has gone but van still going strong, last fuel bought was on the 25/5/24, £50.06 for 33 litres.

• 3 weeks later...
On 01/06/2024 at 16:08, steve_b_wales said:

Mileage was 27,700

20 minutes ago, TOPGUN749 said:

Since I gave up work,I do far less miles,under 5,000 miles in the past 2 years so spend about £400 a year on petrol, perhaps another £100 for the motorbike.

With my electric car, and similar mileage, recharging every other Sunday on a half-price leccy deal, it costs me about £250

26 minutes ago, amateur said:

With my electric car, and similar mileage, recharging every other Sunday on a half-price leccy deal, it costs me about £250

Workwise, I do 364 miles per month (26 miles x 14 shifts) and another 250 miles approx' for everything else. 

1 hour ago, amateur said:

So the equivalent cost of a car doing 65mog! With the price of electric cars and road tax starting soon it will probably cost more overall than a petrol 40mpg car?

1 hour ago, TOPGUN749 said:

So the equivalent cost of a car doing 65mog! With the price of electric cars and road tax starting soon it will probably cost more overall than a petrol 40mpg car?

Not to mention the depreciation!

Just now, London Best said:

Not to mention the depreciation!

For low mileage drivers, where fuel costs say £700 a year (approx 100 gallons of fuel), on a typical car using the AA rates of depreciation (https://www.theaa.com/car-buying/depreciation) a new car bought for 25K will loose around £4K a year in the first 3 years, so depreciation will be MUCH higher than fuel costs.

3 hours ago, TOPGUN749 said:

I believe that your maths is a little suspect. 

A petrol car, doing 5000 miles at 65mpg would use around £500 of petrol.

As for depreciation, mentioned elsewhere, I contract hire my car, so the risk lies with the hire company

Edited by amateur
Clarification

9 minutes ago, London Best said:

I think contract hire costs more than depreciation.

It does, but ch covers the maintenance and the risk of a collapse in residual prices.

At the moment ch prices are very reasonable, so, perhaps the ch firms are not as sceptical about ev as those who haven't tried them.

5 hours ago, amateur said:

I believe that your maths is a little suspect. 

A petrol car, doing 5000 miles at 65mpg would use around £500 of petrol.

As for depreciation, mentioned elsewhere, I contract hire my car, so the risk lies with the hire company

I was quoting my mileage of under 5,000 in 2 years not 1.Which is what you said was your mileage too. So a petrol car doing 65 mpg would cost about £250 in one year as I said.Of course you are paying for the depreciation through your contract hire,the hire company never lose!

7 hours ago, TOPGUN749 said:

I was quoting my mileage of under 5,000 in 2 years not 1.Which is what you said was your mileage too. So a petrol car doing 65 mpg would cost about £250 in one year as I said.Of course you are paying for the depreciation through your contract hire,the hire company never lose!

Apples and oranges.

My £250 was for 5000 mpa

Your £250 was for 2500 mpa

QED your petrol car costs twice as much to run as my electric.

The RISK of depreciation losses lies with the hire company. I don’t give a toss what my car is worth when I hand it back at the end of the contract, I just pay a fixed, monthly amount, acceptable to me, and that's it. No risk.

On 01/06/2024 at 20:00, TOPGUN749 said:

Except in 1987 your house / mortgage wasn’t 10x your income, your utilities bill weren’t through the roof and food prices weren’t massive. 

A man could work with his wife staying at home and the family could afford to live.

1 minute ago, Lloyd90 said:

Except in 1987 your house / mortgage wasn’t 10x your income, your utilities bill weren’t through the roof and food prices weren’t massive. 

A man could work with his wife staying at home and the family could afford to live.

Was really about petrol prices,then and now,house prices in many places is something else.Not quite such a big rise where I live,my house in 1987 was £23,000 when I took home £440 a month, today it’s £120,000 with similar job paying £1800 a month.(3.5x annual wage in 1987, and 4.7x now) We had higher interest rates then though and no fixed deals.

• welsh1 locked this topic