Zeroing a scope!

A few weeks ago, on behalf of a mate of mine, I purchased a scope off a PW member. Only yesterday he finally picked it up. Anyway, today, he contacted me and said that he can't zero it and can't even see where the bullets are striking.(.22LR and good safe backstop) I asked him if he had centralised the reticule first etc etc. An hour or two later, he contacted me again and said that despite firing over 100 rounds, he was 'getting nowhere'. Then, 1/2 hour later, he contacted me again and 'admitted' (I wouldn't have) that he had the scope on the wrong way! :lol:

Almost as bad...I didn't realise some Sako (& Tikka) rifles have different front and rear scope mounts. I ran out of elevation on one particular scope AND complained to the scope manufacturer who simply asked what rifle it was and then said switch the mounts round.

Stupid, or what?

seen this a few times when i worked in a gun shop one of the best was a group of shooters and one said the scope he bought was faulty he had the horizontal turret at 12 o'clock and the vertical at 9 o'clock his mates were laughing at him till we said you lot are as bad as none of you noticed it

1 hour ago, scarecrow243 said:

seen this a few times when i worked in a gun shop one of the best was a group of shooters and one said the scope he bought was faulty he had the horizontal turret at 12 o'clock and the vertical at 9 o'clock his mates were laughing at him till we said you lot are as bad as none of you noticed it

As did my mate. After 150 rounds fired, he ran out of ammunition so the scope is still not zeroed!

• 4 weeks later...

I run a club and help out at another, the amount of members with FAC's who either don't know or don't understand the very basics is worrying to say the least.

1. Member can't bore sight a bolt action rifle at 25m as he can't see down the barrel!, but has no worries about shooting it at 100m and constantly adjusting the scope 2 or 3 full turns with no idea where the shots are going in the first place.

2. Member told he can't use full power factory ammo, 357 Mag, loads on a 25m indoor range as they are over the range limits and have FMJ bullets (range is lead only).  His solution, "I'll strip them, remove some powder and put lead bullets in them" With no idea what powder is in them to start with!.

3. Ran a reloading course, asked member to set up a .308 full length sizing die in a press, about the simplest die there is to set up.  40mins later still couldn't manage it.  Then set the bullet seating die up but it was crushing case mouths, he'd been using the full length sizing die instructions!.

4. Same member was happily explaining how he'd had trouble seating flat base bullets but had fixed it, by lubing the inside the case mouths and bottom of the bullets instead of flaring the case mouths.

5. Qualified NSRA RCO walks up to the firing points and starts looking at and picking up rifles, while the shooters were down range patching/collecting targets!

6. The amount of obviously wrong/dangerous information spouted by members to other members regarding firearm reloading etc.

Edited by phaedra1106

1. Off the firing point. Get down the zero range.

2. Nope, you'll use factory ammo or you don't shoot

3. See above

4. See above

5. UN-BELIEVABLE, were they reported?

6. Not read much "dangerous" but I don't read everything

Think that covers everything?

Shooting a gun safely is not that hard is it? I'm pretty much self-taught, certainly as far as rimfire and centrefire shooting goes. Growing up air rifle and shotgun shooting with my dad was a good start. So much good information available on YouTube now. Yes, some bad information too, so you have to be able to sort the wheat from the chaff. It is a learning curve, but that is part of the fun. Don't think I ever did anything stupid or dangerous. That said, I've learnt better ways of doing things over time. 

On 04/06/2024 at 18:54, scarecrow243 said:

Seen this happen a bloke i knew he got a new scope and couldn't wait for me to mount it for him so he went ahead and wasted about 50 rounds before coming to me 

and showing him his mistake