3 day marathon

hawkeye

As Max Bygraves once said “im going to tell you a storyâ€

Right here goes I hope you are sitting comfortably. This story started last Thursday with a call from one of my farmer friends crows are hitting the maize that has just been sown on my brothers place can you come.

No I said couldn’t make it this morning working (helping a mate) and this afternoon im on your place shooting rabbits that are being bolted by your mates ferrets. (HOPEFULLY)…

This turned out to be a waste of time all afternoon for 3 rabbits…

:blush:

Any how back to the story as I walked back to my motor another farmer from across the road was driving past he saw me and stopped, and said Mike im having problems with rabbits on the far field ive lost about 8 acres of corn to the little bug**rs can you sort ASAP :lol:

I asked where the nearest access was and was told as it was dry driving the field was OK if I stayed in the tramlines.

I told him no problem will sort it, A quick call to Monkey Hanger (KDUBYA on this site)did he fancy a bit of rabbit shooting (does a monkey like nuts) I said be over my place about 5pm. He hadn’t been out shooting for weeks because of a shutdown at work so he was a bit rusty to say the least… :blush:

It took him about 2 mags before the old MH kicked it was just pest control so just kill them still quite a few were head shot by MH I was using the HMR and just blowing the longer distance one away. Quite surprising the fact that the wind was really blowing I didn’t aim off at all. :drool:

The second time we went down this field as we were so far from the hedge to keep in the tramlines MH was finding it difficult with the .22 so I gave him my HMR to use and I lamped and reloaded for him.

He wont mind me saying the useless sod missed the first 2 with this but all credit I think they were the only 2 he missed for the rest of the night. My HMR has only a 4 shot mag and i only have 2 mags for it at one time trying to lamp and load was hard just to keep up with him. :blush:

When we first started we put a few out in a stubble field where I have been baiting for foxes at the end of the night we went back to gut the ones we had picked up and they were gone we had not seen a fox all night…

Ended the night with 42 rabbits, :drool::lol:

FRIDAY

Remember at the start of the story the farmer getting hit by crows on his maize field I was over there by 9.30am just pulled into the yard mobile rings its Scaffy “ now then mate are you still in bed†sharp told him were to go and were I was and to get his &rse over and give me a hand. He turned up eventually mind he did have over 1 hrs drive and also had to load his truck as he had just got back on shore. :lol:

This farmer likes to sit in the hide and keep you company he left after I had shot about 25 blackies then Scaffy turned up.

Few of the dead crows and decoys

crows10.jpg

crows11.jpg

Scaffy set up with me for a while and had a few shot but it was very quiet, then when the farmer said there were loads of crows in the field near the wood he moved to try to bounce them about.

We packed up at 2.30pm Scaffy had just got one in the new field loads flying about but would not decoy I ended up with 40 black ones.

It had been a long day so we decided to pack in. When I had a call from the club Canada geese were about so we headed home to empty the motor and pick up some heavy goose cartridges then over to the club. :drool: :drool:

We jumped into the golf cart and down to the second green this seems to be a good spot because its right on the flight line (rang plod) as we are near a housing estate just in case.

Only been there a few minutes they started to come around 300 of the bug**rs not all within range, I managed 5 shots for 4 geese cannot remember how many shots Scaffy had but the 2 geese he shot landed in the river and he could not get them….

:lol: :lol:

SATURDAY

The story goes on another farmer rang me at 9am could I go crows all over his maize field.

He told me were this field was and said he was going to give it another roll as it was a bit rough and needed flattening but would pack up when I got there if I wanted him to.

This time I rang Scaffy 9.15am lazy sod was still in bed I think Darebear was laid on his shirttail and he couldn’t get up, he said he would be there for 10.45am. So I loaded up the truck and got ready then dropped 2 of the geese at a mates and had a cuppa coffee then took of for the farm got there about 10.30am. :yes:

Farmer was rolling the field I spoke to him and said carry on till my mate comes he should only be a few minutes.

11.45am who rolls up Scaffy late again by this time farmer had finished the field and the crows had bug**red off.

We hung about for a while then decided to go shoot some clays and come back later.

Got back about 3pm one or two crows on the field not worth setting up.

I rang the farmer where I had shot the rabbits on Thursday with MH to let him know I was going back again to hit then he was over the moon. Scaffy stayed where we were and in case the crows reappeared he drove round the farm to show his face and I headed home to get the lamping gear. :lol:

We met up again at 6pm at another friends farm where Scaffy had gone to wait for me. Lamp on top of my motor guns in the back and away we go. Scaffy also had his lamp on the gun so if I spotted one on his side with the lamp on the motor I switch to my side and he takes over with his gun lamp works well for us as we can then both shoot. :good:

Both of us were using the HMR’s and it was blowing a gale and bloody cold but the bunnies were still out we shot quite a few. Picked some and took them up to the stubble field as bait for Charlie.

As the night wore on this count on the clicker kept a steady increase till we were going up this field that had sheep in Scaffy lamping his side me doing mine when I spotted a pair of eye’s YES Charlie on the prowl before we could do anything he had gone through the hedge and away (bug**r DAMN and BLAST) :mad: :mad:

Turned the motor round and decided to go round to the other side of the farm to see if we could find him ( this farm has a main railway line running right through the middle so to get from one side to the other there are tunnels) As we went round we checked a few other fields and shot some more rabbits.

We got to the other side of the hedge where Charlie had gone no sign, mind you we didn’t expect him to hang about waiting for us so we headed back the way we had come. As we approached the field nearest to the farm I said to Scaffy “ can you remember the last time you were home and we walked up here with our other mate Oxo (silver fox) there was a fox at the top of the hillâ€.

Drove to the top lamped towards the farm buildings EYES Scaffy jumped out to get me the 223 of the back seat while I made the HMR safe. We just sat in utter disbelief the stupid sod just walked right up to with in 70 yds of us (we were sat in the motor with the engine running and lamp on) then he turned side on and stopped we didn’t even have to call it BANG 50 grain BT right in the engine room one dead dog fox.

fox009.jpg

cheeky sod having a go at my 223 !!

fox008.jpg

We decided to keep on after the rabbits worked our way back to the field where the sheep were and spotted another set of eyes in the next field on the drillings only thing between him and 50 gr BT was pig netting what did I hit the bloody net he took of and ran, we then saw him slow down so decided to drive down the field we were in and try to close the distance between us, as we were driving along the fence side I scanned for rabbits in the long grass. BINGO more eyes down near the sheep I asked Scaffy what he thought his answer “ not sure mate it’s your call your finger is on the triggerâ€

I knew he would say this, as we are both very safety conscious.

You have to be 110% sure before you fire and as he was about 150 yds away and I could see only the eye’s because of the long grass I put the motor in gear and kept watch through the scope we got around 60yds when he looked up I saw for certain it was a fox because of the long grass,

I said to Scaffy it’s a fox and BANG another dog fox bites the dust.

As the night wore on we saw other foxes but didn’t get chance of a shot still we ended the night with 68 rabbits and 2 foxes and I was home in bed by 1.15am tired but happy had a good night shooting with one of my mates what more can you want.

This one bit the bullet !!

fox006.jpg

Pair together both chest shots, blood is because they were crammed in a plastic sack together.!!

fox010.jpg

3 day total 110 rabbits, 40 crows, 4 canada geese, + 2 geese Scaffy shot that landed up in the river and 2 fox's with help of 2 good mates MH and Scaffy.

Guess what im doing tonight, wrong sweet bug**r all just going to chill out been 3 hectic days.

And there ends the Story of my marathon hope you all enjoy reading it. :lol:

I enjoyed that, putting a bit of thought into a Sporting Pics thread improves it dramatically, well done :yes:

:lol::drool::drool::lol::lol::lol::drool::drool::blush::blush::blush::good:

Excellent post hawkeye really enjoyed reading that even better to hear how safe a shot you are :lol:

That was an hour well spent that was one of the best posts i ever read on this site :lol:

thank you very much :mad: :mad:

VERY INTERESTING STORY, JUST ONE THING, THEY DO NOT SOW MAIZE IN THE AUTUMN!!

peck

There's no need to shout im not bloody deaf.. :angry:

Thats got me thinking, so ive just rang the farmers and these fields

were in maize last year, and this year have been sown in corn so i have made a mistake sorry to all...!!!

Thanks for all the replys lads have been out the last couple of night's and saw next to nothing,

but thats the way it goes if you were going to get a bag full every time out it would get boring.. :unsure:

:angry: Not seen much the last couple of nights out on my patch either, then, out hoodie bashing one day and foxy walks right across in front of me cheeky as you like :unsure: