How often do you clean your barrels?

Vince Green

20 minutes ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, Once only from new or second hand, Then you can trial suitable pellets, more so in Springers, I have found PCPs more forgiving on pellet choice, One thing of note, I have been using Pellet lube over 10 years, some say 👎, I say 👍

same here,every new (to me) gun then never again UNLESS it starts misbehaving as that's one of the easiest things to cross off the fault finding list.

same goes for powder burners👍

mine are cleaned EVERY outing even if it's only a bore snake and oil.

Air weapons? Never after first acquiring it as I use quality Bisley pellets. The same would be true with any quality pellets available to us today. If it ever got wetted in a downpour of rain then, yes, I'd clean and oil it as I would a .22 Rimfire if that got wetted. Otherwise internally never bit outside, indeed, with a wipe with an oily cloth every once in a long while or if I've been using it on a damp or misty day.

Edited by enfieldspares

Currently having issues with my HW100 making shotgun patterns, have cleaned the barrel with the usually reliable method of pulling through with Wd40 soaked wetwipes until they come through clean. However, that didn't seem to do the trick this time so I went on to the brass brush on rod method for the first time ever and still no joy. Next I'm getting the chronograph out to see if it's firing at consistent FPS, may also test without the moderator on to see what results that yealds.

12 hours ago, Edtwozeronine said:

Currently having issues with my HW100 making shotgun patterns, have cleaned the barrel with the usually reliable method of pulling through with Wd40 soaked wetwipes until they come through clean. However, that didn't seem to do the trick this time so I went on to the brass brush on rod method for the first time ever and still no joy. Next I'm getting the chronograph out to see if it's firing at consistent FPS, may also test without the moderator on to see what results that yealds.

Try a different scope on it.

Just been chronographing  in the back garden, doesn't seem particularly inconsistent. Highest FPS 580.8, lowest FPS 542.6, average FPS 559.1 over 21 shots; the calculator on pyramydair.com reckons that is 11.04 ft/lbs. The memories are hazy from the last time I chronographed, I think it was more like 11.4 ft/lbs so it has lost a bit of power since then. I suppose a new scope would do no harm, it can at least be tested against the old one.