Water And Sewage Charges ?

marsh man

Feel for you John,,,, I know exactly how you're feeling. Please try to not worry too much, as waiting for 2 extra days isn't much in the circumstances. Remember to keep records of all the calls and visits,,,, more strength to your elbow further along the line 💪 👍 

Can you get someone with a stopcock key to turn it off for you ?

• Replies 183
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• 2 weeks later...
18 minutes ago, mossy835 said:

well iv just had a water meter fitted today,so see how we get on, if we dont like it we can have it taken out with in 2 years.

Hello, If there is only 2 in household you should save on previous bills, just keep an eye on the meter readings

1 hour ago, mossy835 said:

well iv just had a water meter fitted today,so see how we get on, if we dont like it we can have it taken out with in 2 years.

Water is cheap. We are on a meter and water an acre of lawns, fill a pool and water 100 trees. Our bill is just £16. It would be £32 on mains sewage. 

1 hour ago, oowee said:

Water is cheap. We are on a meter and water an acre of lawns, fill a pool and water 100 trees. Our bill is just £16. It would be £32 on mains sewage. 

It is a little under £2 per cubic metre here (for supply of water alone - drainage and standing charges are extra).  I use roughly 1 cubic metre a week.

17 hours ago, mossy835 said:

They dont generally remove them, they just revert back to the original charging scheme.  But the next occupant of the property has no choice, they are metered from day 1

15 hours ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Any update John?

Morning Dave ... After a weekend of trying to finding the course of the problem it ended up a lot bigger job than we first thought , after a lot of digging ( not by me ) they found the problem was in some old copper pipes that were in bedded along the edge of my lounge floor , so not having to disturb my lounge floor to much we are going to put a new main in as a lot of the digging have already been done with a new stop tap put in the corner of my bungalow , the feed will then run along the top of the skirting to marry up to my existing copper feed pipe , so then everything will be renewed and all the damage and old copper pipework that is below ground can rest in peace .

At the moment we turned the water off on Sunday and I am managing alright as I half filled my bath up before turning it off , I have arranged for my plumber to come this coming Monday morning to do the internal work and my neighbours who are ground workers are going to dig out and fit the new Blue main pipe on Saturday , the weather should be fine and failing any more problems I should have my water back on Monday and then I will have the satisfaction that the  leak(s) have been renewed .

Going by the photo you can see where we are bringing the new main in which is the right hand side of my Green bin, so not really that far and like I said that most of the hard digging have already been done , the second photo is where the problem was which is about level with the back of my car , so two steps forward and one step back , but we will get there , THANKS for asking . :good:    MM

SAM-1269.jpg

SAM-1268.jpg

@marsh man What was the actual cause of the leak on the pipe ? 🤷‍♂️

Was it because the screed had been laid directly around the pipes ? We get this a lot, usually with central heating pipes, but occasionally with water mains pipes 🙄

23 minutes ago, JKD said:

@marsh man What was the actual cause of the leak on the pipe ? 🤷‍♂️

Was it because the screed had been laid directly around the pipes ? We get this a lot, usually with central heating pipes, but occasionally with water mains pipes 🙄

Hi Chris .... The chap who dug out directly opposite my original stop tap put his hand through the hole and took a photo , there were a half inch dark brown plastic pipe and a half inch corroded copper pipe that were both wet , so rather than investigate any more I said enough was enough and it would then be easier to renew the main as we still didn't know where it came in my house and I didn't want to start digging into my front room on a wild goose chase , I have now got everything we need and it should be pretty well straight forward , all the work from last weekend wasn't in vain as we found the problem , or roughly the problem and we can utilise the trench across my driveway , cost wise it will be around a grand , so not much over than my access if I had been insured and everything inside will now be above ground , so although something I didn't need , I will soon be back in fighting mood when I inform the water company for a sizeable refund .   MM

8 minutes ago, marsh man said:

Hi Chris .... The chap who dug out directly opposite my original stop tap put his hand through the hole and took a photo , there were a half inch dark brown plastic pipe and a half inch corroded copper pipe that were both wet , so rather than investigate any more I said enough was enough and it would then be easier to renew the main as we still didn't know where it came in my house and I didn't want to start digging into my front room on a wild goose chase , I have now got everything we need and it should be pretty well straight forward , all the work from last weekend wasn't in vain as we found the problem , or roughly the problem and we can utilise the trench across my driveway , cost wise it will be around a grand , so not much over than my access if I had been insured and everything inside will now be above ground , so although something I didn't need , I will soon be back in fighting mood when I inform the water company for a sizeable refund .   MM

Hi John, thanks for the reply.

At least this should sort your problem and then you'll be trouble free 😉

Hopefully the costs aren't too great, above your excess 🙂

Then, as you say,,,, attack your water provider 😠🤬😃

ATVB 👍

1 minute ago, oowee said:

I hope you can at least go back to the water company and ask for a rebate. At the very least for water disposal charges over the last few years(?). 

Hello, That maybe possible but I would also look at why they did not notice the extra water used from prior to leak,

Hello, Well it looks like your on the way to get this sorted now MM, hope it all works out ok,👍

2 hours ago, oowee said:

I hope you can at least go back to the water company and ask for a rebate. At the very least for water disposal charges over the last few years(?). 

2 hours ago, oldypigeonpopper said:

Hello, That maybe possible but I would also look at why they did not notice the extra water used from prior to leak,

Hello, Well it looks like your on the way to get this sorted now MM, hope it all works out ok,👍

Many THANKS for your interest ... I got home dinnertime and believe it or not I had a call from the water company to see how I got on with the leak after they installed a new meter , I rang them up on the number they gave and it was instant , no hanging about and the lady I spoke to was clear and polite , I told her we had detected the leak and we are changing it over next Monday so all the pipework is above ground level rather than having pipework below the surface in cement , I talked about the high bills and paying high sewage charges that were not going through the sewage drains , I then had to read the new meter today and again in two weeks time so they can work out how much water I use with only one person in the house , they are also going to look at the previous bills I had paid .

So to give them credit they were very polite and caring which is more than I can say with dealing with Aviva , I would settle for some credit and should now only get a bill for one person using a normal amount of water , hopefully the end is in sight .:good:

27 minutes ago, oowee said:

Great stuff. If you have a relative now is tge time to visit. You want the next readings to be so low. Good luck. 

At the moment oowee I am not using anything as the water have been turned off from last Sunday and it will stay off now till the plumber put me back on after he finish what he need to do . I have got half a bath full for domestic use and two water butts in the back garden to flush the toilet  , :good:

4 minutes ago, marsh man said:

At the moment oowee I am not using anything as the water have been turned off from last Sunday and it will stay off now till the plumber put me back on after he finish what he need to do . I have got half a bath full for domestic use and two water butts in the back garden to flush the toilet  , :good:

:good:

3 minutes ago, TIGHTCHOKE said:

Surely this is all sorted by now?

I think it was all in the final stages, new pipework etc, and the block paving was getting put back. And then getting a refund from the water company.