semi auto

monkeyboots

i recently bought a brand new fabarm euro 3 semi auto a lovely gun etc , but ive had a few problems with it jamming always fires the 1st shot then the empty cart, is getting stuck in the chamber , ive tried different shot sizes the only thing it seems to fire no bother is number 6, 36grms has any one else had a semi auto that would only take a 36grm load i think the teal and woodcock would be in bits if i used the number 6, 36grm loads on them :whistling: i think ive had my day with semis and thinking of going for a o/u

Had a 'mare last Sunday with my wife's 20g Semi Auto. Started fouling using Gamebore 24gram but was OK with Lyvale 28's. Eventually the 28's became a problem and we had to shoot the whole thing as singles as it wouldn't recycle. Was a massive pain as two ladies where using the gun, took an age to get around and massacred Anne's score.

What we think it was; Shot 125 on the Friday and only cleaned the barrels. The mechanism had dried out and the more powerful shells could overcome this for a time until that too failed to work. Extensive cleaning and lubrication has now been applied and the action works far more smoothly.

If you are shooting 32's it's probably sheer force keping things going this long, get some gun grease on the internal moving parts around the spring etc after a good clean and it'll probably be fine, going out later to run a box of 24's through the semi to prov the theory, will update later as to progress.

TTFN

It could possibly be where you oil the gun. On my beretta when i first got it i wiped the whole action and mechanism with WD40 in my naivety thinking all would be ok. Within 20shots it jammed repeatedly and upon inspection the internals were coated with a residue sludge. I now know to only apply oil to the bolt guide and receiver and nothing else. I use WD40 to clean the residue fouled internals after each session but it is wiped off and dried before putting away. In essence everything forward of the bolt is DRY before next outing. Since using this regime not one jammed cartridge and fired 180ish in one day in the autumn this year without jamming.

Food for thought if nothing else.

i recently bought a brand new fabarm euro 3 semi auto a lovely gun etc , but ive had a few problems with it jamming always fires the 1st shot then the empty cart, is getting stuck in the chamber , ive tried different shot sizes the only thing it seems to fire no bother is number 6, 36grms has any one else had a semi auto that would only take a 36grm load i think the teal and woodcock would be in bits if i used the number 6, 36grm loads on them :good: i think ive had my day with semis and thinking of going for a o/u

Hi MB

I have had this with my Franchi out Pigeon shooting and was using it everyday it eventually developed the problem you described

the answer I found was regular cleaning with Hoppes no9 Semi Auto fluid, no residue or gunk build up and its been fine now and hasnt played up since.

I used the same on my Anshutz semi .22 which again has never jammed.

:good: D2D

i had a fabarm like yours...bought it second hand from a well known shooting ground

no matter what i put through it, it wouldnt cycle reliably...i kept it for a while (should have took it back but was just as a toy really)

when i finally had enough i went back and tried to px it for a berretta they said " oh i dont know...we have had a lot of problems with those guns which is why we dont sell new ones"

eventually i got it swapped for a good nick berreta 301....which while being older never let me down once

im sure you will get people on here saying theirs are great but not for me im afraid......wouldnt touch another if it was free :good:

Beretta semis are about as good as they get.

webber

believe it or not i have witnessed the teknys giving bother at the skeet range.you can get a bad one in any breed. the nature of the beast that are semi autos i suppose.worst i had was my 2nd gun a MAB (never saw another one) i owned it about 4 hours before i took it back,but it did nt put me off autos i ve had another 5 or 6 since then.

Had a 'mare last Sunday with my wife's 20g Semi Auto. Started fouling using Gamebore 24gram but was OK with Lyvale 28's. Eventually the 28's became a problem and we had to shoot the whole thing as singles as it wouldn't recycle. Was a massive pain as two ladies where using the gun, took an age to get around and massacred Anne's score.

What we think it was; Shot 125 on the Friday and only cleaned the barrels. The mechanism had dried out and the more powerful shells could overcome this for a time until that too failed to work. Extensive cleaning and lubrication has now been applied and the action works far more smoothly.

If you are shooting 32's it's probably sheer force keping things going this long, get some gun grease on the internal moving parts around the spring etc after a good clean and it'll probably be fine, going out later to run a box of 24's through the semi to prov the theory, will update later as to progress.

TTFN

The only thing you should lubricate a semi-auto with is engine oil, preferbly diesel oil. Never dries out no matter how many carts you put through it.

Guest The Outlaw
just run 25 24g's though no problem, fouling and lack of lubrication seems to have been the cause (for me at least)

TTFN

A quick visit to the Outlaws kitchen gunsmith was worth while then James, Glad it worked.

We will have to keep an eye on it though for the next few shoots.

Tony

Im up to about 6000 carts through my Benelli M1 and in that time its jammed one cart, so pretty reliable. Just depends what semi-auto you buy :good:
ive had loads a carts through my benelli super 90 m2 and never had a jam yet and it will fire 24gram carts aswell

Sorry I typed M1 and I meant M2, but yeah, they are ultra reliable !

The only thing you should lubricate a semi-auto with is engine oil, preferbly diesel oil. Never dries out no matter how many carts you put through it.

Try Hoppes 9 Dri Lube. I don't know exactly what's in it, but it goes on wet and dries a grey/white colour. I put it on everything that needs lube and it's great!