Baikal Shells??

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I've got some in my garage.

Baikal cartridges were superb, I used to work for the sole importer and have shot 1000's of them.

If only you could still get them, there is nothing anywhere near as hard hitting on the market these days

my old mans got box of 10 or 15 in cabinet from late 70/80s in green paper cases. think they are 34g 7s, or something odd, probley wouldnt fire now tho

Oh yes they would, that is what I have although mine are 5's.

I may have to use a few on my beaters day shortly :good:

I've got some in my garage.

Baikal cartridges were superb, I used to work for the sole importer and have shot 1000's of them.

If only you could still get them, there is nothing anywhere near as hard hitting on the market these days

Years ago a mate gave me a snap pack after I laughed at him for using them after what I had heard about them. The vicious bang, the smoke and the bits of newspaper that fell from the skies. :good::lol:

I shot them in my AyA 25 in comparison to Eley Impax and I was pleasantly surprised at how smoothly they shot and how well they killed. :D Another mate and I decided to get some but we could only find a thousand so we had five hundred each and five hundred Winchesters also. The next time we went out a pigeon came over and I upped and fired at it. ***** ****** I was on my ****. :lol: There had been an almighty bang and a muzzle flash about six feet long that any Bofors gun would have been proud of. I didn’t fire any more of them. :good::lol:

The difference was that the snap pack, which I’d been given, were pink plastic cases and these were black cases. My mate and I did a swap because he liked to use them in his long recoil Franchi Auto. Some time later I heard that shooting grounds were banning their use on noise grounds.

I wish that I had kept a few of the pink ones for component and balistic analysis coz they weren’t bad cartridges.

Martin If you’ve got some in the garage which ones have you got and do you know what the difference was between the pinks and the blacks. I've always wondered.

We fired thousands of these from the mid eighties to early nineties,green was shot size 5, red was 6 and, black was 7.

They were as cheap as chips then and when they disappeared my dealer said it was because the soviet government had removed the funding from the factory!

We used to use the number sevens for shooting teal at flight ponds and when we opened up it was like a fireworks display :lol: but they were a hardhitting and reliable cartridge :good:

This is bringing back some memories. The AZOT head stamp, and the primers were a lot bigger than the fiocchi or Eley surefire and I think there was a ring of stars or something on the base. I think that Sellier & Bellot used the same primer size

What ever happened to all the other foreign makes from the past like Gevalot, SMI, gytorp? They suddenly disappeared from the shops

I was on the lookout for some, mainly for the reasons above, when I began shooting years ago, we mainly used only these, and to answer the question, I suppose I do like cleaning the barrells, find it quite relaxing after being out all day :good::lol::D

If anyone, has a decent amount, I would be interested in buying some.

Cheers

Alan

This is bringing back some memories. The AZOT head stamp, and the primers were a lot bigger than the fiocchi or Eley surefire and I think there was a ring of stars or something on the base. I think that Sellier & Bellot used the same primer size

What ever happened to all the other foreign makes from the past like Gevalot, SMI, gytorp? They suddenly disappeared from the shops

Hi John!

Gevelot was sold for 'tuppence' and became Cheddite.

Gyttorp is still around. I saw them on the ground at Kinver.

SMI? I believe he closed down.

Kent cartridges; I don't know what happened to Arthur Phillips.

Brit (DanArms/Telford) sold up.

Frank Dyke - 'Yellow Wizard'

Greenwood & Batley (Pigeon Control shells)

If anyone reads the cartridge threads on this and other sites then it soon becomes apparent that cost is a major selector of the buying public. Mostly if they go bang and do the job then we buy them. Look at how many people on this thread used to buy these awful Baikal cartridges. Obviously the first priority for the cartridge makers and the cartridge seller must be to make a profit. Therefore it would be useful if those involved in cartridge manufacture came onto this site to explain some of the decision making of the cartridge business. For example, why did Eley need to change the colour of their Grand Prix cartridge from the Indian Orange that had been the standard for decades so that there are different colours? Recently I have seen them in 3 different colours.

Why do brands come to the front and then disappear? Why did Rottwiel stop doing those little club 20 cartridges? They were the dogs danglies.

Who decides what a cartridge should be. Who selects the components and where do they get them from.

All of us use cartridges but what do any of us really know about the products that we use? And yet there is a whole raft of people out there that are making the stuff and who don’t seem to come on the sites and say anything about their jobs?

John,

Until the introduction of plastic cases, Eley assembled their own paper cases with a steel insert in contact with the brass head. The paper base wad and head was rivetted together by the cap chamber. (You remember the Eley 1B Percussion Caps in the paper tray - later to be called 'Surefire' primers?) The latter, then fitted with a coppered ferrous anvil were packed in orange painted tins and finally replaced by the awful 'Sureprime' battery cup primer.

When the 'Reifenhauser' case came along Eley began using a variation of their 'Surefire' primer but with a removable cap-chamber. Then BANG! the factory blew up and it went downhill after that. Like other companies, it seems that the components are loaded into whatever colour tube they can get their hands on!

Edited by Floating Chamber

Seeing FC pics has made me think. I inherited all my stuff from my grandad and with that came some old looking cartridges. Anybody hazard a guess at the age, there is something in me that doubts they would still work :)

Top of the box

31797499xp5.jpg

side

20575006sp9.jpg

a Pic of 1

46549701ks5.jpg

I do have another 3 unopened boxes of these :angry: on the bottom around the primer it says Peters Victor Made in the USA. Although on the bottom of one these does look like a bit of corrosion

85040477rl5.jpg

and lastly there were 2 different ones in the box the one on the left says Azot made in the ussr and has No7 on the top could this be one of these Baikal carts??? The one on the right is an Eley Alphamax in No3

img0012uk3.jpg

Edited by Northerner

The green one with the 'AZOT' headstamp is an old Baikal shell!

Edit: Take a look at the red one in my first pic; same 'duck and rushes' design.

From the look of the varnish dip on the real brass and the shot number at the crimp end, I'd say that was middle 1960's. Does the headstamp have 'Eley Kynoch ICI, with 12, 12' either side, or just 'Eley Kynoch 12' ?

FC

Edited by Floating Chamber