Big mole problem

myuserid

Dont know if this is the right section for this, but anyway this is my problem.

Over the past 2 months or so I have a mole which digs 3-5 mounds everyday, and everyday I move the soil and flatten the grass. Part of my garden now looks like its been ploughed!

I dont really want to trap it........yet, but discourage it if possible. Does anyone know how this can be done, are there products out there (certain smells)?

Thanks,

I was told years ago that diesel poured down in the runs make them move on but I dont know if it is true. :rolleyes:

Petrol is better, pour it down all he holes you can find/see and then just light 1

Used to use this method on rats years ago, they used to come out of the holes like a bat out of hell ( some still on fire) and we used to shoot em with shotguns - hell of a lot of fun when your a teenager <_<:lol::lol:

I'm not using poison as there are cats, owls etc.

I was going to use the shotgun but realized that the beck is running under this part of the garden, there is a large pipe which you can walk through which takes the water under the grassed area. If I use the 12 gauge I will either damage its structural integrity of the pipe or suffer a few gunshot wounds :rolleyes:

I'm not using poison as there are cats, owls etc.

I was going to use the shotgun but realized that the beck is running under this part of the garden, there is a large pipe which you can walk through which takes the water under the grassed area. If I use the 12 gauge I will either damage its structural integrity of the pipe or suffer a few gunshot wounds :rolleyes:

if you want a chat let me know and i will pm you my number. I will give you competent instructions using traps. Or you can use an old car battery, tip some battery acid in the hole followed by some salty water recover the hole quickly and dont breath the fumes !! repeat on all holes and i guarantee there will be nothing coming out there alive.

**** on the holes, man "P" is stronger smelling than womens - according to my MRS.

I know it worked for us in our garden, and presume that when they get a whiff of it they consider the patch has been scented by something big and nasty, so they move on. However if you have a very large garden they may not move on far enough.

Good idea to wait till dark though - and make it a regular watering hole. :rolleyes:

Moles go where there is food source being earthworms. So if you want to discourage him take away his food source and he will go somewhere else. One way is to get a chemical that you can mix with water and sprinkle all over your garden, and I think if you cover you garden with plastic lining so no sunlight can hit the ground the earthworms will move somewhere else and the moles will follow.

Apparently if you put dog poo on top of some of the mole hills this is supposed to discourage him.

EDIT: CRANFIELD AND CARBINE read his post he said he does not want to trap it but discourage it if possible

Edited by dustyfox

I think if you cover you garden with plastic lining so no sunlight can hit the ground the earthworms will move somewhere else and the moles will follow.

***** - Cover every part of garden in plastic :rolleyes:

Yes.....then once all the grass and plants have died all the mole hills will just match into the rest of the muddy mire !!!!

I think if you cover you garden with plastic lining so no sunlight can hit the ground the earthworms will move somewhere else and the moles will follow.

***** - Cover every part of garden in plastic :rolleyes:

Yes.....then once all the grass and plants have died all the mole hills will just match into the rest of the muddy mire !!!!

Yeah but at least you can re-seed it at the end of it. Mole hills make your garden look awful I would rather have a lawn thats the same colour weather grass or mud rather than having patches of mud allover it.

You need a licence for this chemical Strychnine this is to kill the mole it attacks the brain and spine.

Edited by dustyfox

Whereabouts in Cumbria you mate? If I'm near I can trap it for ya

I'm half way between Kendal and Kirkby Lonsdale.

Will try the petrol try and discourage him from the area, its not a problem if he moved 2 meters backwards.

Thanks for the advice everyone :)

Edited by myuserid