high velocity .22lr

hi again i think il give them a try aswell , ive just pulled the bullet off a stinger and the charge is 2.5 grains the same as winchester lazer

the laser is a 37 grain bullet as oppose to the stinger 32 grain bullet

im going to try an exta 0.5 grain of charge in each of them

when i first got my .22 rf i bought some cheap and nasty magtech bullets and on occasion sometimes they had put a double charge in them but they werent very accurate and made my ears ping for a while

so il not buy them anymore il post my findings on here

and made my ears ping for a while

I believe things which make your ears "ping" contribute to hearing loss which is irreversible; I'd recommend ear defenders.

If you're set on doing this, I'd also recommend eye protection.

hi again i think il give them a try aswell , ive just pulled the bullet off a stinger and the charge is 2.5 grains the same as winchester lazer

when i first got my .22 rf i bought some cheap and nasty magtech bullets and on occasion sometimes they had put a double charge in them but they werent very accurate and made my ears ping for a while

Isn't it illegal to pull the bullet of the case ? :good::w00t:

Jonno

closest you can get is a 40 gr in the CCI velocitors. Same case and load as the stinger, except it is 40 gr and a little slower. I think the 40 gr velocitor goes 1525 while the stinger does 1650. Check CCI's website for full details.

Are you sure the stinger and the velocitor cases are the same? :good::w00t::lol:

Jonno

hi henry well as i may be a bit daft now and then im always very causious when reloading i have a tool for seating the .22 bulletls back on to the case and a tool for pulling the bullet

so all is well dont worry i once reloaded a 12 guage cartridge one with confetti and oh my god did the rabbits get a shock (so did my neices man it was a good laugh to see his face )

i was nearly going to have to get the hoover from the car and a 12 volt battery would of been great for a shotgun wedding

Edited by radio1ham

well i done it , put an extra half a grain of powder in to a couple of my cci stingers and it makes a bit difference all i need to do now is to compare the stinger with 2.5grains of powder to the ones i have done with 3grains of powder so looks like il be borrowing my mates chronny one day soon

and i will put the chronny readings on here

well i done it , put an extra half a grain of powder in to a couple of my cci stingers and it makes a bit difference all i need to do now is to compare the stinger with 2.5grains of powder to the ones i have done with 3grains of powder so looks like il be borrowing my mates chronny one day soon

Sorry mate but I think your off your head :lol: ! rimfire cases are not designed to be stripped and reloaded. And correct me if I'm wrong but to my knowledge no one sells any reloading equipment for .22 rimfire. :D

You are re-loading with no load data to work from, no idea what a difference you are doing to the chamber pressures, etc.

Bad idea, just stick to whats on the shelf :blush:

hi

well you are right no one sells the gear for reloading the .22 rf but i have a couple of things (not commercial stuff) which i use

but i have fired some magtech rimfires which on occasion have had a double charge in them which must of been at least 4 to 5 grains judging by the crack they made and also the recoil off them they made my ears ping for a while so i think they should check their gear lol

but i would not go to far with the powder charge in them 3 grains is my limit and no more

as i think that will be within my guns safe working preasure

radio,

And what ballistics testing experience do you have that allows you to think that a 20% increase in powder is still safe? In the 17 centerfire cartridges were you are using 10 gr of powder, a 0.1 gr increase can shoot you over a pressure limit. That is in a case with 3 times the capacity and 20% the powder increase. Then consider that the rim on a rimfire cartridge is the weakest point and you're asking for a blowout.

Just to clarify a point.

It is not illegal to reload .22 rimfire ammunition , its is just inadvisable.

Also, it was illegal to remove a bullet head, but since the 2005 Manufacture & Storage of Explosives Regs. it is now legal.

Smartass :lol:

I think it's pretty risky to play with this sort of thing. Why not make it a good excuse to get a Hornet? If you need more power, get a bigger gun. You could always load down to .22lr power with it given the right powder and information. There's a lot at stake here, assuming your pressures are ok is just a tad silly IMO :blush:

Edited by njc110381

Are you off your rocker ? You must be mad trying to work on live rimfire rounds and sincerely hope you have life insurance.

Its entirely different reloading center fire cases and pulling the bullets out of live centerfire rounds as the primer is safe. If you want more humph get a HMR or a hornet but for gods sake please stop what your doing as you could end up in a mess. :mad:

Sorry mate but I think your off your head :drinks: ! rimfire cases are not designed to be stripped and reloaded. And correct me if I'm wrong but to my knowledge no one sells any reloading equipment for .22 rimfire. :sick:

You are re-loading with no load data to work from, no idea what a difference you are doing to the chamber pressures, etc.

Bad idea, just stick to whats on the shelf :drinks:

???

• 2 weeks later...
hi

well you are right no one sells the gear for reloading the .22 rf but i have a couple of things (not commercial stuff) which i use

but i have fired some magtech rimfires which on occasion have had a double charge in them which must of been at least 4 to 5 grains judging by the crack they made and also the recoil off them they made my ears ping for a while so i think they should check their gear lol

but i would not go to far with the powder charge in them 3 grains is my limit and no more

as i think that will be within my guns safe working preasure

Incredible!! Hyper-velocity ammo is around £40/1000 and you are prepared to risk your eyesight trying to improve manufacturers specs??

Out of curiosity, I just pulled a magtech HV round, the powder charge is 1.5 grains, 3 grains is a double charge.

• 3 months later...

If CCI had thought they could get more velocity out of the .22 rimfire round in a safe way, I doubt they would have stopped at a velocity of 1640 fps. I think it should tell our friend something that they didn't. I'd say they knew they were near the safe pressure limits for the case. When a case blows out in his rifle, I hope he doesn't get a face full of hot gas and fragments of brass.

I see he claims to be a reloader of .22 rimfire in another thread. I'd be interested in where he gets the priming compound, how he gets it into the rims of the cases and why he thinks it is a worthwhile proposition to reload a round that he can buy new for 10 pence a shot in hyper velocity form.

I bought a hundred rounds of CCI stinger yesterday. My impression was that they were very loud. I usually shoot silenced eley subs. The groups were larger than I'm used to as well. However. I spotted four rabbits at about a hundred yards distance and took down every one of them as instant kills, one after another. They didn't seem unduly bothered by the noise which was surprising since they were well grown. If I can get these rounds to group like my eley subs, I'll use them in future.

Well the effectic range of 22lr really on rabbits is about 80yds, any more than that and your looking at 17HMR, and in that range subs are perfectly good, so why on earth would you want to scare everything off with a sonic crack :lol: , also the stinger varmint bulet would cause unnesisary meat damage, but i beleive cci do the stinger and velocitor, ones 30 smething grains and the other is 40g but tbh, your not going to find a 22lr bullet above 40g for hunting.

Steve :good: