Are all 20b cartridges yellow in colour?

Would only ever buy 20 bores in yellow,just for the saftey reasons as we have all seen the pictures of what can happen when stuck in the wrong gun.

I think its about time all cartridges were colour coded.

Sweepy :blink:

I have to be honest, you have a very good point. Health and Safety is paramount.

Although there is an unwritten convention that said 20g would be yellow, there is no international agreement on this ( and other colurs like red for 16b).

This results in the odd funny turning up.

There are 12b yellows around, and orange 20g as well as other colours.

The idea of colour coding different bores is a great one, but manufacturers always want their cartridge to stand out and so they will always be choosing all sorts of colours.

Personally, I think boycott yellow 12g and non yellow 20g - sales might make the manufacturers of the odd colours change their minds.

Clayman

Although there is an unwritten convention that said 20g would be yellow, there is no international agreement on this ( and other colurs like red for 16b).

This results in the odd funny turning up.

There are 12b yellows around, and orange 20g as well as other colours.

The idea of colour coding different bores is a great one, but manufacturers always want their cartridge to stand out and so they will always be choosing all sorts of colours.

Personally, I think boycott yellow 12g and non yellow 20g - sales might make the manufacturers of the odd colours change their minds.

Clayman

I think that you will find that 16 bore cartridges have been blue, traditionally.

It depends on where your 'tradition' comes from. In the states 16 bore were purple or green (rem usually). In the US, most 12 b are red or green. 10's will be brown, 20's will normally be yellow (or sometimes red) and 28/410 will be all different (often purple and red respectively). This is for the major manufacurers (Fed, Rem, Win, and their subsidiaries). That said, I've seen a lot of different combos and have used every color in the rainbow at some time or another except bright pink. I don't think I've shot a pink cartridge yet.

Thanks,

Rick

It depends on where your 'tradition' comes from. In the states 16 bore were purple or green (rem usually). In the US, most 12 b are red or green. 10's will be brown, 20's will normally be yellow (or sometimes red) and 28/410 will be all different (often purple and red respectively). This is for the major manufacurers (Fed, Rem, Win, and their subsidiaries). That said, I've seen a lot of different combos and have used every color in the rainbow at some time or another except bright pink. I don't think I've shot a pink cartridge yet.

Thanks,

Rick

As 99% of the shooters on this forum are from the UK, it would not be unreasonable to assume that by 'traditionally', I referred to the UK and Eley cartridges, as there was little other choice untill the mid 1950's. 8 and 10g here were a deep red, 4g was green. I won't make the obvious comments as to your desire for a pink cartridge, but Record trap were pink, Red Rival, Gyttorp game and Polish olympic were all a dusky pink, as was a cartridge hand loaded by Boss a few years ago.

Im sure i read somewhere that BASC where trying to ban non-yellow 20g, a good thing!

It's a sensible idea, but as most cartridges are imported, and Eley is owned by a Spanish company, I don't think that BASC would have any say in the matter. It does not matter what colour 20g cartridges that you use, play safe and buy your 12's in a different colour. As you have a wider choice in 12, I would say that this would be easiest way to go. The idea of standardising gauge colours was suggested many years ago by Burrard and others, but has been followed up by few manufacturers.

Salop, I use several thousand Hull Cartridge High Pheasant 24g and 28g #6 fibre each year, and those two cartridges have yet to let me down.

I thought Hull HP 20b were 25g and 28g were only available as 28g?

Sorry, just being a pedant :yes: :yp:

Agree they are great cartridges though :yes: