TROLL

MM

• Replies 92
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

As another newbie I have been associated with the TROLLs by a few members already. I don't even know what a TROLL is. But, whatever it is, I suppose that it is exactly how the poncy game shooters in their fancy dress costumes regard us pigeon shooters and vermin controllers, especially if we wear cammo and use a semi-auto. So we have developed broad shoulders to protect us from gratuitous insults from those guys anyway.

Jim

As another newbie I have been associated with the TROLLs by a few members already. I don't even know what a TROLL is.

Here you are, Jim - quote from the "Urban Dictionary"

"TROLL - A dumb*** who makes idiotic posts in message boards newsgroups for the sole purpose of ******* people off, often lacking in intelligence. Sometimes compared to people who pass you by on the sidewalk then grab you in inappropriate places."

It's the Essex Mafia :lol: :lol: ???

As another newbie I have been associated with the TROLLs by a few members already. I don't even know what a TROLL is. But, whatever it is, I suppose that it is exactly how the poncy game shooters in their fancy dress costumes regard us pigeon shooters and vermin controllers, especially if we wear cammo and use a semi-auto. So we have developed broad shoulders to protect us from gratuitous insults from those guys anyway.

Jim

Jimbo, there are or shouldnt be any "them and us" attitude regarding game/any shooters, I enjoy all forms of shooting and have shot and picked up on the same shoots as titled members of royalty yet those on here that have met me will no doubt agree I just an ordinary regular bloke.

Most shooters would jump at the chance to experience as many forms of countrysports as possible, I tried Foxhunting for a couple of years when I was younger , not for me kept falling off :lol: but I have nothing against the hunt even though some of them were deffo up their own backsides ???

Alot of our members have their own formal driven shoots, does that make them poncy and insulting, I dont think so.

Shooting is becoming hard to come by and you will not get far if you label people toffs, most are decent ordinary shooters.

Just my opinion on your views.

:lol: D2D

I agree wholeheartedly with D2D. :lol:

There is a lot of old folklore around concerning the attitude of "tweed suited toffs" who go Game shooting (which includes deer stalking) and "rough shooters".

I have never met any Game shooters who have this attitude and in fact many of them are "rough shooters" throughout the year, as posts on here prove.

The other old myth is the attitude of Clayshooters to semi autos at Clay Grounds.

When these weapons are used safely and "flagged", I have never heard any critical comments made.

It seems that some people like to perpetuate these myths just to have something to moan about.

Jim

Jim, that is a fairly narrow-minded and misguided comment. I shoot game (driven and rough), I stalk deer, lamp foxes and engage in just about every shooting discipline possible. Why take the blinkered view that game Shots look down on pigeon Shots and vermin controllers disregard? In my experience, that's not the case. Have you actually ever been insulted because of your shooting preferences and attire?!

In fact, those people who have grown up with game shooting in their blood (i.e. (sons/daughters of) farmers, landowners and gamekeepers), are usually very grateful for the work that pigeon Shots do. The people who look down on pigeon Shots are, in my experience, the ones who shoot to be seen shooting, if you get my drift - the ones with all the gear and no idea.

Edited by Baldrick

Jim

More class warfare. Drivel, of course.

Perhaps those in fancy dress don't like you because you're a sweaty?

Jim

Jim, that is a fairly narrow-minded and misguided comment. I shoot game (driven and rough), I stalk deer, lamp foxes and engage in just about every shooting discipline possible. Why take the blinkered view that game Shots look down on pigeon Shots and vermin controllers disregard? In my experience, that's not the case. Have you actually ever been insulted because of your shooting preferences and attire?!

In fact, those people who have grown up with game shooting in their blood (i.e. (sons/daughters of) farmers, landowners and gamekeepers), are usually very grateful for the work that pigeon Shots do. The people who look down on pigeon Shots are, in my experience, the ones who shoot to be seen shooting, if you get my drift - the ones with all the gear and no idea.

Baldrick,

Yes, maybe it is a bit of a sweeping generalisation but, in order to get enough work for my dogs, I do a lot of beating and picking up on driven game shoots all over the south of Scotland. The way we "workers" are treated by the guns on some of them is truly appalling. Its as if we came from a different planet just because we don't talk with plummy mouthed English accents and drive Range Rovers.

Of course they are not all like that and some of them are salt of the earth. But the ones in the poncy clothes are usually the worst and look at the beaters as if we were some slime that had oozed out from under a stone.

Very few of them "have grown up with shooting in their blood". Most took it up late in life after they had made their pile. They have absolutely no notion about the countryside, about farming, about shooting traditions or anything else. They never say thank you at the end of the day and walk off their pegs without even stopping to tell the PUs where they think there may be dead or wounded birds. And they have absolutely no concern for the future of shooting. If shooting got banned tomorrow, they would just spend their money on golf or cruises or some other rich man's pastime.

But you are right that I should not generalise. There are some game shooters that are not like that. Just a hell of a lot of them.

Jim

Fight the power!

I do love these anecdotes of vicious rude toffs oppressing the honest working man beaters.

Do you know anyone called Oliver Twist and do you have any relatives in workhouses?

Just a thought, but if all the beaters left because of harsh treatment / the rudeness then a change for the better (in terms of behaviour) would probably result. Doing nothing and taking it would of course leave it to perpetuate.

Edited by Mungler

Fight the power!

I do love these anecdotes of vicious rude toffs oppressing the honest working man beaters.

Do you know anyone called Oliver Twist and do you have any relatives in workhouses?

I also witnessed a toff whipping a serving girl after a shoot......

Could you tell me if it is common practice to still whip peasants and working class?:rolleyes:???

It is just that now I attend driven shoots and want to make sure I do everything right and blend in.

Fight the power!

Could you tell me if it is common practice to still whip peasants and working class?:lol:???

It is just that now I attend driven shoots and want to make sure I do everything right and blend in.

well, i also take it that you ran over and give the guy a slap in the chops. you are kidding right? i never know what to belive somtimes on this site :rolleyes: different classes an all ;)

and Col, "you dont have to be posh, to be privalidged" :D:D:good::hmm::lol:

Could you tell me if it is common practice to still whip peasants and working class?:good:???

This thread is getting more surreal by the moment. :rolleyes:

I think there might be a difference between a Whipping and a Spanking :rolleyes::good::hmm::lol:

Just wondered why some of you actually carry on Beating on a shoot which does not respect what the Beaters are actually doing...I know i wouldnt...

Im as equal as the next man...although i feel sorry for the ones who can not afford full length trousers :lol:;)

I think we should welcome the TROLLs and give them some guidence in understanding our choosen sport :D

I still got this Spanking picture in my head :D

Edited by Spaniel