4 Hide poles

Cosd

Went to Wilkinsons today and bought 4 Clothes line props.

Size:

19mm Telescopic tube with twist lock and a hook for the net on top

Stands 47" and extends to 97"

Comes in green

These are perfect for hide poles and saves paying at least 4 times as much for the same thing.

All I need to do now is work out how to add a spike (what to use) and making a kick plate to tread them in to hard ground.

Any suggestions? :blush:

easy way to put a kick plate on them is to drill a hole about 6'' from the bottom and put a thick bolt through the hole and fasten the nut on them and use this bolt as a kick plate. :blush::lol::lol:

for the spike cut the bottom to a 45 degree angel and flaten it with a hammer aganst a solid surfice.

Edited by russ91

Cheers Cosd, :angry:

Thanks for the tip off. Went to Wilko's today and bought four of those poles. 45mins later and I had hammered the base into a spike and drilled a bolt through the pole 6in from the bottom to act as kick plate. Then sprayed them with some matt paint to take the shine off. Can't wait to see my pigeon mate after he's payed £45 for four, it'll be like something of a Mastercard advert.....

four poles from Wilkinson's............... £12.95

four bolts from Wilkinsons ............... £0.99

Spray paint (Matt Black)..................Nothing (already in the garage) :lol:

The look on your best mates face when he realises yours cost 3 1/2 times les than his poles................PRICELESS !!! :hmm::hmm::good:

Easey way to point these up ( i have these )

Take the bung out of the bottom, twist and pull the top section out 2ft. or so, hammer the end flat(about 2 inches)

turn the corner in half way with a pair of pliers an flatten, do the same the other side, there you go your pole now has a point :hmm::angry:

if you're struggling PM me and I'll phone you

All the best Mutley

Easey way to point these up ( i have these )

Take the bung out of the bottom, twist and pull the top section out 2ft. or so, hammer the end flat(about 2 inches)

turn the corner in half way with a pair of pliers an flatten, do the same the other side, there you go your pole now has a point :lol::lol:

if you're struggling PM me and I'll phone you

All the best Mutley

Used mine on Friday and wind was so strong one bent slightly right down the bottom.

The poles seem very good and ample in length. With one of them slightly bent I think I will cut about 10" off the bottom from each of the poles, including the inner part. This will also cut them down in size for putting in my rucksack and take some weight off too (any weight reduction in gear is good in my eyes).

Thanks for the advise guys, will flatten 2" on bottom of poles using vice, then bend over as advised using pliers.

Cheers Cosd, :lol:

Thanks for the tip off. Went to Wilko's today and bought four of those poles. 45mins later and I had hammered the base into a spike and drilled a bolt through the pole 6in from the bottom to act as kick plate. Then sprayed them with some matt paint to take the shine off. Can't wait to see my pigeon mate after he's payed £45 for four, it'll be like something of a Mastercard advert.....

four poles from Wilkinson's............... £12.95

four bolts from Wilkinsons ............... £0.99

Spray paint (Matt Black)..................Nothing (already in the garage) :yes:

The look on your best mates face when he realises yours cost 3 1/2 times les than his poles................PRICELESS !!! :lol::lol::lol:

No problem at all mate. I'm quite new to shooting and have got loads of help from some very nice people here on the forum.

Anything I can give back is a pleasure.

Went to Wilkinsons today and bought 4 Clothes line props.

Size:

19mm Telescopic tube with twist lock and a hook for the net on top

Stands 47" and extends to 97"

Comes in green

These are perfect for hide poles and saves paying at least 4 times as much for the same thing.

All I need to do now is work out how to add a spike (what to use) and making a kick plate to tread them in to hard ground.

Any suggestions? :lol:

good buy thats were i got mine, all i did was flaten the ends with a hammer works ok.

got mine from wilkos too for spike cut a piece of 25 mm box section 12" long drilled it 15mm hole in middle 12" piece of round hollow bar put halfway through weld in position then put a piece of solid bar in end and grind to a point have made four of these the wilko poles then slide onto the top part and they are guaranteed to go into anything will last for ever :good::lol:

easy way to put a kick plate on them is to drill a hole about 6'' from the bottom and put a thick bolt through the hole and fasten the nut on them and use this bolt as a kick plate. :blink: :good::yes:

for the spike cut the bottom to a 45 degree angel and flaten it with a hammer aganst a solid surfice.

Sorry Russ but dont cut and flatten it isnt strong enough you need a long bolt which is a snug fit into the poles then drill and put in your kick bolt makeing sure it passes through the bolt inside the pole then chop off the bolt head witch should be attached to the pole and grind it to a point i made mine 5 years ago and there still as strong now as they were in the beginning Idid the cut and hammer ones first but the points kept folding ouer on hard ground

Opps too late found that out today they kinked and bent :good:

easy way to put a kick plate on them is to drill a hole about 6'' from the bottom and put a thick bolt through the hole and fasten the nut on them and use this bolt as a kick plate. :good::good::lol:

Sorry Russ but dont cut and flatten it isnt strong enough you need a long bolt which is a snug fit into the poles then drill and put in your kick bolt makeing sure it passes through the bolt inside the pole then chop off the bolt head witch should be attached to the pole and grind it to a point i made mine 5 years ago and there still as strong now as they were in the beginning Idid the cut and hammer ones first but the points kept folding ouer on hard ground

Opps too late found that out today they kinked and bent :lol:

Ah...! I haven't flattened and cut mine yet :lol:

OK, got to try finding a solid piece of alluminium for strength and light weight to fit snuggly and use for kick plate.

I do remember coming accros some 9" ally spikes from one of the online hunting shops for about £12. These are sold as 'longer' replacements to the original spikes on hide poles they sell. I don't know the diameter though and can't remember the site :P

• 3 weeks later...