apprenticeships

kris

so whats your solution??

i cant find guys who will commit themselves to a 4 year contract to earn a tradesmen skill, its like pulling teeth here, everyone wants big dollar no putout, while the NC market of machinery is good the skill levels are down, training is a big issue here,,,,,,,, there aint any, a few institutes offer the relative skills and certification, but the young kids today want nice clean office jobs with facebook and the rest of the bullshhhhhht.

gone are the days where a kid follows a tradesmen around, learning each and every trick in the book, where he can reflect later in life about the one little thing that made a difference when in training, often i think of solutions to problems arising in manufacturing some of the product we do, many times i reflect back to the days when my gaffer ( Mr Ronald Barron) would show me things, these skills are becoming a lost art, no-one to pass down trade skills and secrets, its a shame really, whos to blame :lol:? us probably, pursue transitive verb:- "to try hard to achieve or obtain something over a period of time" a trait that is lost on some.

Martin

still looking for quality machinist's to follow a dream,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,,

I was very lucky to take an apprenticeship with Jarvis Rail (since moved to Network Rail) and the skills that it taught me were unbelievable!

I became qualified and competent in:

Hand Fitting

Machine Fitting

Gas and Arc welding

Gas cutting

Technical Drawing

Electrical Installation

Electronic Design and construction

Sheet metal forming

Crane Operating

Slinging for lifting operations

Powered Access platform operation

and many others that i cant remember at the minute!

whenever anyone asks about career advice, I would always suggest they seriously look into apprenticeships. Its an amazing way to learn and develop a career

Did an apprenticeship myself.

For the MOD, in electrical engineering.

Off the top of my head, we were taught:

Industrial Installations

Domestic Installations

Marine Installations

Radar

Sonar

Fibre Optics

Use of cranes

Forklift

and most importantly how to make a decent brew :lol:

People are not interested in this type of thing these days, they want to earn money and fast, which is no suprise considering the cost of things these days, who can afford to live on an apprentice wage?

I'm afraid for me the government has killed this one, by its sheer greed and seeming necessity to increase the cost of basic living at every corner

Did an apprenticeship myself.

For the MOD, in electrical engineering.

Off the top of my head, we were taught:

Industrial Installations

Domestic Installations

Marine Installations

Radar

Sonar

Fibre Optics

Use of cranes

Forklift

and most importantly how to make a decent brew :yes:

People are not interested in this type of thing these days, they want to earn money and fast, which is no suprise considering the cost of things these days, who can afford to live on an apprentice wage?

I'm afraid for me the government has killed this one, by its sheer greed and seeming necessity to increase the cost of basic living at every corner

:lol: Ah, yes, the first job learned, the all important brew! Who had what in sugar and who had what mug!

I'm not so sure that it was the government that killed it, as greed, kids today want it all, and they want to put nothing back.

Arrive at work late, go home early, off sick with headache, toothache, hangover, you name it. One did not turn up to work for a week, at a site that I was working last year, because his mothers dog had died! :hmm:

In my day, we did a five year apprenticeship, followed by a year as an "improver" still earning less that the tradesmens rate.

That was seven quid a week then.

Edited by bob300w

:lol: Ah, yes, the first job learned, the all important brew! Who had what in sugar and who had what mug!

I'm not so sure that it was the government that killed it, as greed, kids today want it all, and they want to put nothing back.

Arrive at work late, go home early, off sick with headache, toothache, hangover, you name it. One did not turn up to work for a week, at a site that I was working last year, because his mothers dog had died! :yes:

That's the biggest problem, the attitude of many (not all) young people. I work in the construction industry and we are being asked to support Glasgow's initiative of offering every school leaver the chance of an apprenticeship on the back of the significant regeneration of the east end of the City due to the hositng of the 2014 Commonwealth Games.

The theory is fantastic, being that the legacy of the significant expenditure of hosting the Games will leave behind a trained workforce to serve the city and the country for years to come. I fear the reality is somewhat different: due to the attitude of many youngsters, many companies do not want to commit to the expenditure of taking an unknown apprentice through their training if the person is not committed to 1) completing the apprenticeship (many chuck it after 2 or 3 years and the employer is left with nothing) or 2) using their skills to put in a days work.

In Glasgow's case, the programme of work for the Games must be completed in time, there is no room for error or delay, so if the quality of workforce is not available locally it will be imported - of that there is no doubt.

Many school leavers focus seems to be on how much they can earn from day one, and how hard they have to work for it, rather than recognising that in the short term their wages are not fantastic but they are being equipped with a skill to give them earning potential through life.

WGD

"Many school leavers focus seems to be on how much they can earn from day one, and how hard they have to work for it, rather than recognising that in the short term their wages are not fantastic but they are being equipped with a skill to give them earning potential through life. "

That's it in a nutshell, apart from "how hard they have to work for it", could be better worded as " how little they can do to get it".

As you say not all, but certainly the majority.

Also Scotland has a different attitude to employment than England, I remember working at Torness power station when it was being built, we were only allowed to work 48 hours per week, the idea being to create employment, companies would employ more people to get the job done. 70 hour weeks were the norm on English sites.

I did a 4 year mechanical engineering apprenticeship, 1st year paid full time at college, and the 3 years day realease and night school.

During that time I learnt how to weld, turm, mill etc etc we did 3 months in all the main departments in the company and at the end (if we hadn't upset anyone) we were able to choose which department we wanted to work in. I chosse the drawing office, but of course I should have chosen sales :lol:

The company I work for now employs industrial trainees and sponsors them through Uni, so it is still about just not in the way it used to be.

i have been looking for a apprenticeship for 3 years now but it seems that no one round here is willing to take any one on for the 3 years so far this month i have rong 38 companys and they hav all said that they can not take people on ever because they cnt aford to train people up of that they just dont need any one.

I have finished the first 3 years of my apprenticeship. The money is not great, and my employer has decided they are no longer funding any further training. :blush: So I am looking for a part time job, then I can save up the £5k I need to do the next year in Sept 2009. A lot of the people I work with can not be bothered to pay for it out of thier own pockets & attend Uni at weekends in term time. Yet they moan about the low wages. IMHO the best way to increase my knowledge, experience, qualifications & earning potential is to pay for the rest of my learning out of my own pocket. As it will benefit me immensely in the future. If only some of my colleagues realised this :good::good:

Edited by Disco Stu

It is hard for us youngsters, i have been trying to get an apprenticeship in gamekeeping since i left school which was 2 years ago i have written no-end of letters, but the last month i got a reply from a local estate saying they would be very interested in taking me on as an apprentice keeper and hopefully if all goes well should start in about a month to do this i am having to take a big drop in wages form being a builders laborer but you have to make sacrifices and allot of lads my age just want 300+ a week with out any graft.

But the government should make it easier for kids to get apprenticeships instead of pushing them into going to uni and getting in dept up to there eyeballs.

Matt

Intresting debate, upon leaving school I too strugled unnsuccesfully to find an aprenticeship so ended doing variuse jobs, sat chainsaw tickets etc before set ing up self empolyed in groundsmaintance. Invested a hell of a lot of time and money and I make a good living. Ironically a large proportion of my work is now not groundsmantance but property maintance ( what I was always most intrested in). Also built up a sideline pestcontrol business.

Im at the stage of employing staff but tbh it wont be school leavers due to thier general attitude problems mentionened in above posts.

It is hard for us youngsters, i have been trying to get an apprenticeship in gamekeeping since i left school which was 2 years ago i have written no-end of letters, but the last month i got a reply from a local estate saying they would be very interested in taking me on as an apprentice keeper and hopefully if all goes well should start in about a month to do this i am having to take a big drop in wages form being a builders laborer but you have to make sacrifices and allot of lads my age just want 300+ a week with out any graft.

But the government should make it easier for kids to get apprenticeships instead of pushing them into going to uni and getting in dept up to there eyeballs.

Matt

good on you mate ime doing a 2 year aprentiship course at newtonrigg its hard for us youn ones to get in to the industry and make a name for ourselves with this sort of thing we get a decent wage (not £2 a hour you know who you are you *******) and the exsperiance and a name for our selves that should help us get a job in game keeping ask pt he knows the score

i have been looking for a apprenticeship for 3 years now but it seems that no one round here is willing to take any one on for the 3 years so far this month i have rong 38 companys and they hav all said that they can not take people on ever because they cnt aford to train people up of that they just dont need any one.

Russ

If you are prepared to consider sparking or plumbing/pipefitting try the Bailey group at Bradford - they win prizws for their training.

Bear

The problem with todays society is that there is no stigma attatched to being unemlpoyed .Its a way of life to scrounge as much as you can from the benifits system and laze around all day . The more you can screw from the state seems to be the done thing amoung a certain section of society ,and we all know some body who is doing it .

when i was a young man if you were out of work for more than a couple of weeks you were classed as an idle lay about . We can only blame our selfs for allowing the system that we have at the moment where the scroungers can enjoy a nice living without having to work .There are the needy and the greedy and unfortunately there are to many greedy . Harnser .

I was very lucky to take an apprenticeship with Jarvis Rail (since moved to Network Rail) and the skills that it taught me were unbelievable!

I became qualified and competent in:

Hand Fitting

Machine Fitting

Gas and Arc welding

Gas cutting

Technical Drawing

Electrical Installation

Electronic Design and construction

Sheet metal forming

Crane Operating

Slinging for lifting operations

Powered Access platform operation

and many others that i cant remember at the minute!

whenever anyone asks about career advice, I would always suggest they seriously look into apprenticeships. Its an amazing way to learn and develop a career

an old saying jack of all trades master of none :blush::good:

We took on an apprentice 2 years ago and spent a small fortune on him with extra equipment, insurance, sorting him out with a small van and running costs. After 9 months he decided he couldn't be ar$ed to get up and be at work for 8am every day and quit. :blush:

Next person I employ will be a semi retired bloke who actually wants to do the job and not just cream us for all they can whilst giving very little back. A vast majority of the young today genuinly do not want to put the graft in at all, they just want the money at the end of the week. The few who do want to work then struggle to find employers willing to invest in their future after being messed about by lazy ****.

We took on an apprentice 2 years ago and spent a small fortune on him with extra equipment, insurance, sorting him out with a small van and running costs. After 9 months he decided he couldn't be ar$ed to get up and be at work for 8am every day and quit. :blush:

Next person I employ will be a semi retired bloke who actually wants to do the job and not just cream us for all they can whilst giving very little back. A vast majority of the young today genuinly do not want to put the graft in at all, they just want the money at the end of the week. The few who do want to work then struggle to find employers willing to invest in their future after being messed about by lazy ****.

you are right mate,they just cant be arssed :good:

yes they are :good::stupid:

if you say so then you go with that i worked 300 days a year for 3 years for 2£ a hour just to learn a trade and i got dumped for some one that could drive i did every thing for my old boss i even helped him set up his new buisness he even said "if it was not for you neil this would never have worked " and all us young uns are interested is money is it i think not :blush::good: