Holland&Holland or purdey

deer stalker

Having been fortunate to have used both Purdey and Hollands (but sadly never fortunate enough to own one), I'd have a Boss or a Watson Bros O/U any day of the week if it was my chequebook on the counter. Boss make the most beautiful, lovingly-crafted shotguns, and for handling I have yet to shoot anything better than a Watson.

If I could buy a bespoke double rifle it would be a Boss, and the bolt action would have to be a Lingard.

A pair of Boss twelves, a Holland or Boss .470NE and a Lingard .30-06 wouldn't leave me much change from £250k.

Edited by Baldrick

Having been fortunate to have used both Purdey and Hollands (but sadly never fortunate enough to own one), I'd have a Boss or a Watson Bros O/U any day of the week if it was my chequebook on the counter. Boss make the most beautiful, lovingly-crafted shotguns, and for handling I have yet to shoot anything better than a Watson.

If I could buy a bespoke double rifle it would be a Boss, and the bolt action would have to be a Lingard.

A pair of Boss, a Holland .470NE and a Lingard .30-06 wouldn't leave me much change from £250k.

You do have a point

For people who have to much money. I have a Beretta, ITS BEAUTIFUL and have no aspirations for overated toffs stuff. I'm happy.

Since when does a beautiful example of virtually hand made bespoke engineering become "overated toffs stuff". If you can't appreciate the quality of a top English gun you don't even deserve a Beretta.

Out of H&H or Purdey, I'd take the H&H simply because many years ago I visited both shops and H&H couldn't have been more helpful, showing me to the gun room during renovations etc and generally treating me as though I might one day be a customer. Purdey's on the the other hand were so stuck up their own *****s it was unbelieveable. Might have just been good and bad days for the respective staff but made a lasting impression on me.

However, if I actually had that sort of money I'd actually be visiting Boss :(

For people who have to much money. I have a Beretta, ITS BEAUTIFUL and have no aspirations for overated toffs stuff. I'm happy.

You've clearly never shot a London gun. Either that or you have been blinded by inverse snobbery. CharlieT's response is pretty apt.

Edited by Baldrick

I have a vast selection of both Purdey and Hollands.

As for quality they are both fantastic and as for customer service both cannont be faulted, Holland being a bit more 'nice' when you go for your fitting, of the 4 times i have been there has always been a Bentley to pick me up from the airport.

Boss are currently coming on leaps and bounds and their new generation of engeavers are brilliant and have fantastic eye for detail.

Edited by ph5172

As for quality they are both fantastic and as for customer service both cannont be faulted, Holland being a bit more 'nice' when you go for your fitting, of the 4 times i have been there has always been a Bentley to pick me up from the airport.

Boss are currently coming on leaps and bounds and their new generation of engeavers are brilliant and have fantastic eye for detail.

I know Malkiscrow has had a lot more dealings with Purdey.. he is the man to ask (then again he does have a vested interested being a silent director)

Yeah, right, and you list the guns that you own as a Bettsinoli, Baikal and Greener, a GP I presume? De luxe model with pallet grade wood no doubt?

Beam me up Scottie!

??? :(

You've clearly never shot a London gun. Either that or you have been blinded by inverse snobbery. CharlieT's response is pretty apt.

:( ???

I know Malkiscrow has had a lot more dealings with Purdey.. he is the man to ask (then again he does have a vested interested being a silent director)

:(

A vast collection?

This sounds like a vast collection of sheeeeeeeeyte ???:stupid::yes::lol:

Bamfords always send a fleet of Rolls-Royces round when I put my order in for a box of 250 D & J plaaaaaaarstic wads :lol: :o :D

Edited by Chard

Theres only ever been one gun that i have picked up and immediately shot well with... and it was an 1890s Purdey sidelock!

Why does it have to happen this way!

If only it had been a baikal it might be a little more attainable!

G

Since when does a beautiful example of virtually hand made bespoke engineering become "overated toffs stuff". If you can't appreciate the quality of a top English gun you don't even deserve a Beretta.

I stand by what I say. If I had the money I would'nt have one. If I fished the Tweed I would'nt use a Hardy rod. If I lived in London I would'nt have a Roller. Its not my intention to show off in this life. Swivel CharlieT

I was fortunate enough to use a Purdey over 20yrs ago on the beaters day at my local shoot. Well I was head beater :hmm: (Yes, I was only 14, deal with it!) It made me feel special, but I couldn't hit any more than I could with my Baikal single.

Our local gunsmiths had a matched, cased pair that sold for £38k last week, and in the words of the seller, "He still couldn't hit the side of a barn"

I love the engineering, the quality and the prestige, but I would be scared to take it out and use it. Check my signature for proof of that. :hmm:

BTW Boss all the way!! :hmm:

I have shot 2 Browning B25's at different times and both wers utter ****e, one old, one brand new, just not well made at all.

One was £10k, the other £30k?:hmm:?:hmm:?:hmm:???

The high end beretta's float my boat well but the London guns just have that "Great Britain / Empire" cachet to them, they are just something so utterly, meaninglessly fine that they are just glorious, they hark back to a bygone age.

I cant think of a product elsewhere in existence that so perfectly matches form and function. Lets face it A bugatti veyron is utterly wonderfull but that sells at a million quid and was apparently made at a loss by the manufacturer just to show they had the absolute best car in existence.

The london gunmakers are still in business(although under other ownership) after 200 years.

Whether thay are showy or not, ostentatious or not, classles or snobby, they are utterly special and I challenge anyone to handle one and not feel they handling something from a time when we were proud to be English, they represent this country when it was at the peak of its empire and more importantly its manufacturing and engineering dominance of the world.

You would have to be very, very rich to afford a new one but is it wrong to dream?

And did those feeeeet, in ancient times..........................

Who's for a quick round of Pomp and Circumstance?

Not taking the p#*s, I totally agree. It seems a shame that it's so un-PC to yearn for better times.