.22 ricochet

deerhunter26

i know this question has probably been asked a million times, but i have been out a few times shooting with my .22lr and have had numerous ricochets and im slightly concerned as to where the bullet is ending up even with a back stop they still seem to ricochet, is the .17 or the .17hmr less likley to ricochet and what is the rough price for ammo for the .17 and .17hmr as i have the sako quad and would be fairly easy to convert, any suggestions would be much appreciated cheers

it all depends its normally a mud bank but its not always possiable to get get a backstop as im being badgered by the farmer to shoot bunnys on open fields as they are wrecking his crop, its awkward as you should realy have a sensiable backstop but its not always the case and i end up not bothering shooting them as im a little concerned if it is going to bounce

yep I hate using one on our ground even when shooting at 45 degrees down you still get them.

The simple answer is the HMR is an awful lot less likely to do it, I take shots with mine that I'd never take with a .22. Not silly ones but with a .22 you don't know where the lead will stop I've had them bounce off banks and I'm very happy to use my hmr in the same place. Ammo is more but its comparable to shotgun ammo cost, its more accurate, gives you greater range and kills better so to me there is no competition. Had I thousands of rabbits to go at I might change my mind but I've not

I must be doing something wrong, I have shot thousands of .22 rimfire rounds and can't remember the last ricochet I had.

They do say Eley's do it more than Winchesters as the hollow point is smaller, but as I don't use them I couldn't tell you.

:rolleyes: you must wear a halo and sandels - you must also be the only person in the world who don't get any :yahoo:

how about the .17match over the .17hmr are they any cheaper and whats the effectiveness up to 100yds

deerhuntrer,

for the mach2, take all the info about the HMR and subtract 60 yards. Once the HMR has gone 60 yards, it has slowed down to what the mach 2 does at the muzzle. If you'd shoot a rabbit at 150 with the HMR, you're good to 100 with the mach2. Same bullets, just different starting speeds.

Thanks

Rick

I must be doing something wrong, I have shot thousands of .22 rimfire rounds and can't remember the last ricochet I had.

They do say Eley's do it more than Winchesters as the hollow point is smaller, but as I don't use them I couldn't tell you.

how about the .17match over the .17hmr are they any cheaper and whats the effectiveness up to 100yds

deerhuntrer,

for the mach2, take all the info about the HMR and subtract 60 yards. Once the HMR has gone 60 yards, it has slowed down to what the mach 2 does at the muzzle. If you'd shoot a rabbit at 150 with the HMR, you're good to 100 with the mach2. Same bullets, just different starting speeds.

Thanks

Rick

how about the ricochets do they still bounce ?

They don't ricochet off a rabbits head :yahoo:

What are you using as a backstop?

Sorry but they do ,ive had a few 22rf ricochet of rabbits heads (dead rabbit but a ricochet none the less) :good:

:rolleyes: you must wear a halo and sandels - you must also be the only person in the world who don't get any :good:

:yahoo::yahoo:

Yep, they will bounce off of any surface, including water, and definitly off of rabbit's heads. Any make, any head, hollow or solid. Anybody that says they do not should get out with his gun more.

but its not always the case and i end up not bothering shooting them as im a little concerned if it is going to bounce

:rolleyes::yahoo::yahoo: you ARE doing it properly then, IE using good judgement

I usually find that as we move into May most of the ground dries so hard that using the .22 becomes almost impossible on some of the fields, makes life difficult if the farmer is having problems :yahoo:

I Shoot on some very stony flint ground in Essex, I have two .22 rifles and a.17HMR.

My advice is get a HMR on your ticket, then try as hard as you can to get a .17HMR round to bounce, I wish you luck as I have not managed to yet.

Yes they are loud, but the prey does not seem to notice, I have killed four rabbits one after the other with my HMR.

I use it on smaller fields where I feel the bouncing .22 round may be a problem, even if the .17 round did manage to bounce in one piece its soooooo small I would not be worried about it causing any damage.

All the best

Flinting ground is without doubt the worst, luckily I don't shoot on any, but I know people who do.

Out of interest, have you tried hypersonic .22's on the same ground?

I've had it mostly on dry grassland, one thing I will say is I've seen a footpath sign that was 20 yards behind a rabbit that was headshot from the roof of a fourtrak at 40 yards so a steep angle. The resulting ding was very disconcerting even though there was a hill behind it so it was in theory safe. What was more disconcerting is the mark it left. I shoot chalky ground without many stones and I just don't use the .22 any more

deerhuntrer,

Thanks

Rick

how about the ricochets do they still bounce ?

I don't have an HM2, just the HMR. If you go through animal with the HMR it doesn't bounce. You might have a few shards that will make noise, but the bullet coming out (except for longer distances) is in tiny pieces that don't go far.

I have had ricochet's with the HMR though. Very low angles and they can skip sometimes without tumbling. I also had one bounce off of a log. I had a target set up with a woodpile behind it. The bullet hit the wrong edge of a log and did the infamous zing.

Thanks,

rick

I've had a HMR round ricochet. On the same stoney ground that stuarts mate shoots over. It had a good ring to it too, it probably went a fair distance before coming down :good:

I must recommend the HMR though, it's a very good round for the flatter areas. As long as you have a bit of angle behind the target the bullet will usually stay down :good:

I've had a HMR round ricochet. On the same stoney ground that stuarts mate shoots over. It had a good ring to it too, it probably went a fair distance before coming down

i have only ever had 1 do that and it also sounded like it went for quite away too!! :good: , it was one of the 20grn hallow points

The biggest eye opener i ever had was seeing ricochets coming back from the range on a night shoot on the stamford battle area . We had a night shoot and lots of us were using tracers for obvious reasons . Most were shooting 7.62 and some were shootiing .22 . The real scary thing was to see the angles at which the rounds were coming back off the steel targets and the ground . They went in every direction imaginable and many came straight back towards the shooting line . Targets were illuminated at ,500 ,1000 ,and 1200 , yards and 100 yards for the .22 . No matter what target you shot at you would get ricochets . Since then i have been more aware of the possibility of ricochets . Harnser .

"how about the ricochets do they still bounce ?"

Yes, they do, fire one into the sea on a still day, you will see it skipping like a flat stone does. 357 magnums will do it as well.

Bob ,

why were you shooting into the sea ? Is this the essex way of cod fishing .