.223 zeroing not got on well today

Took my Tikka .223 out for the 1st time today after just getting it back from being screw cut and mod fitted etc. I decided after a little advice to try sako 50 grain game head which were nt good at all through it. I then tried some norma 40 grain ballistic and the grouping was better but over 100 yrds still struggling (may be me though). Going to try some federals tomorrow ballistic tip and see what their like, although they are the dearest. Going back to 80 yrds tomorrow to see if i can do better :lol: going to be expensive this

I think . .

You need to follow Browning's approach and troubleshoot the issue.

Adding reloading into the mix will only be another variable and you don't need another one at the moment.

Get it sorted first, and then think about reloading.

Yep, one step at a time. Don't add to your problems.

I'm with the others here whereby more info from yourself is needed before giving advice mainly around the history of this particular rifle .

But for now........

1,If it's completely new then it's quite common to group like a shotgun for a bit .

2,The addition of a silencer could through the addition of weight alone cause the barrel to interact with the stock .especially has Tikka's come with a floating barrel

3,Not convinced about twist weight and bullet grain as I have personally witnessd a .243 with a 1 in 10 twist shoot a 105 grain deer load and a 65 grain fox load with both achieving tight groups @ 100 yds but I suppose with some calibres and particular rifles this could be a issue .

4,You won't go far wrong trying 50 grn HP American Eagle by Federal and @ £8 per box it was just as good as federal V- shok @ £19 per box in my rifle . :lol:

Ps

I have just read eleswhere that it's a T8 Mod ..........For a correct fit the rear bush should only very slightly be removing the blueing on the barrel B)

just took the sako back and exchanged for a box of federal V- shok so we will see how they perform. The gun was bought from 2shots so he may come along with some replies. The gun has nt had much through it i believe and haddnt fired it before getting it screw cut. Back with updates later :lol:

it was probably me. The fedral are 55 g so i will try them tomorrow morning. The swarovski doesnt help with the size of the targets i was using at 100 yrds in my opinion, but as its the 1st time out it can only get better :lol: i hope!!!!! ps how much were the remmies and where from cheers shaun

i have a t3 .223 varmint 1in8 twist rate screwcut and ase jet-z fitted i havent had the barrel shortened or recrowned and it will shoot half inch at 100yrds with american eagle 50grain hollow points. 55and 64 grain winnie cxp1+2 and hornady vmax 55grain its not bullet fussy at all its not allways the gun tho is it sometimes it the shooter behind it have you tried lightening the trigger on it m8

I've got a .223 T3 Tactical 1-8 twist and it shoots anything from 50gr right up to 75gr.

What do you mean by "not very good through it", group size?

Sako 50gr shoot 2" to the right from the POA in mine, but still group sub 1" @ 100yds.

HI Mosa give me a ring just pmd you, it is 1 in 8 twist and 55gr

was the best round and heavier just checked my range logs the

rifle has fired 85 rounds from new three times to zero on the range

and 4 trips to scotland on the deer.The lighter loads I tried were

no where near as bad as this and would still give decent moa,at 100m

55gr would still produce bulls at 300 ,so a check on the new scope/

mounts/crown/and floating of barrel might be the way to go,I would try with

the mod removed and see what happens then with the 55gr.My

mates 223 totally changed after weldon screw cut it for a mod

and he took it to bishop who recrowned it after checking it no more

problems.give me a ring :good:

PHEW!! :good: Sorted. As i put the swarovski on the rifle before i took it to get screw cut and set up we (both me and the RFD) didnt check the tightness of the allen bolts on the rings and yes of course they were slack ish!. I tightened them up and set out the target at 50 yrds and with my Federal V Shok 55 grain Balistic Tip. I wasnt far off the 2"bull having to move about 2down 2 right and the groups were fine. I then went back to 80 yrds and with another couple of clicks here and there i had 3 within 1" and a couple to the right but that was me moving ( to be honest i probably only adjusted 1 click down & 1 right from yesterdays performance ). Chuffed to bits im sorted as i was wondering what was going on. Looks like i found my ammo!! Cheers Dean & Mark for your help and all who posted replies and of course 2shots the previous owner. I will try to add pics later if i get a chance. :o :lol:???

Most of them are 1:8 twist rate.. I never drop below 55gr as they just don't perform well.

55gr Remington Accutip or Fereral Power Shock group well in my Tikka

My tatical is a 1:8 twist as well it is not ammo fussy at all it shoots 50gr american eagles and 55gr v-max to the same poi it also shoots 45gr remington umc hollow points really well i can get them well under 1/2" at 100yards i have had the trigger adjusted to its lightest which is a very consistant 2lbs on the pull gauge.