I had a fight with a dog...

mr lee

:good: I know exactly how you feel, my wife's aprent had a German sheperd that hated other dogs and i got the same response when walking her one day....."Oh its ok, hes a big softy" ....i warned him again, then cali decided she was going to give this giant poodle a number one all over....there was black curly hair everywhere.....then they look at you as if its your fault!!!!!

I think you did very well to handle it how you did dude.....if that dog had inflicted that would on me i would not have stopped until it had stopped breathing...........permanantly!!!!Well done!! :oops:

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Well, I have Had a community officer come round to see me. When I answered the door he asked if the dog was present. Jake came waggling like a baby from the lounge and started to give the officer a severe licking. ;) fetched pretty much all his toys to him whilst he was here and then promptly fell asleep with his head on the coppers foot. :good: His opinion was Jake is far from a dangerous devil dog and noted it down too.

Showed him my bandaged leg and the picture from my phone. He did say I could take it further against the other owner and his dog but as I already said, I just wanted them to have a word with him about having his dog on a lead when asked or in the presence of other dogs.

They are going to go speak to the other owner and have a chat about his dog handling ways and the fact it bit me. After that no further action will be taken.

Anybody got any ideas of how to stop an itchy leg though? It's driving me mad. :oops:

I have a Labrador who always wants to play with other dogs so when ever I see another dog I always put him on the lead. But I hate it when the other dog owner lets their dog off the lead and let them run around my dog. And all of them always say that there harmless but one dog an old staffy started acting aggressively towards mine I was ready to kick it in the throat as my dog was only 10 month old, the guy eventually came and put it on the lead.

I do the same as Suzy does whenever I see children, OAP's or other dogs I always put him on the lead as my dog likes old ladies and jumps up at them.

Dont know what all the stuff about putting a muzzle on your dog is all about, you had your dog under control at arms length and you gave the other guy a chance and warning to put his dog on the lead but he didnt listen, he was all in the wrong and when he said he was going to call the police I would of just laughed at him and say go on do it.

Df

I've mixed views on this , to me sounds like you have what amounts to a dangerous dog so like a proper owner keep it on the lead. The other owner had no doubt a placid dog that didn't fight so just left it off the lead, ok unwisely so but thats more out of knowing his dog. Sounds like a sorry incident and sadly you got bitten in the middle of it but that does happen if you get involved with dog fights. The other bloke ok silly had a friendly non aggressive dog that yours sound like they have savaged, I'd try and not add to his problems of the police pursuing him for a dangerous dog, he won't do it again and I'd muzzle yours in public

I have to say on the face of it i agree with al4x, you have a duty of care to others as well as yourself, you dont have a right to ask or expect others to lead their dog because your dog cant tolerate another near it, it sounds like your problem not his and if it where me you met in similar situation the dog that started on mine (yours) would be given a chance to sort themself out as they normally do if both off the lead (ie one submits) before I sorted the trouble maker out in my own way,

sorry but going on what you have said thats my view

I have to say on the face of it i agree with al4x, you have a duty of care to others as well as yourself, you dont have a right to ask or expect others to lead their dog because your dog cant tolerate another near it, it sounds like your problem not his and if it where me you met in similar situation the dog that started on mine (yours) would be given a chance to sort themself out as they normally do if both off the lead (ie one submits) before I sorted the trouble maker out in my own way,

Well what about the other owner? doesnt he have a duty of care for others?

Mr Lee had his dog on the lead he had his under control the other owner should know that not everybody likes other dogs running up to theirs and should of done the same. He shouldnt need to muzzle his dog as long as he had his dogs at arms length he was in the right. The other owner DID NOT have his dog under control and by saying that he wont hurt a fly was plainly in the wrong as he ignored the warnings giving to him. If I had my dog off the lead and known that the other owner said put him on the lead I would certainly do that as s/he probably got a good reason for it.

Df

I've mixed views on this , to me sounds like you have what amounts to a dangerous dog so like a proper owner keep it on the lead. The other owner had no doubt a placid dog that didn't fight so just left it off the lead, ok unwisely so but thats more out of knowing his dog. Sounds like a sorry incident and sadly you got bitten in the middle of it but that does happen if you get involved with dog fights. The other bloke ok silly had a friendly non aggressive dog that yours sound like they have savaged, I'd try and not add to his problems of the police pursuing him for a dangerous dog, he won't do it again and I'd muzzle yours in public

Whilst I agree everyone has a right to an opinion I would disagree with yours about I have no right to ask someone else to control their dog near mine or me. I have every right to ask someone to control their dog if their actions affect me directly as this one did.

Regardless of wether mine were devil dogs or as soft as putty, I would never allow mine to bound over to people jumping up or fussing causing a nuisance. If mine were off the lead and the position reversed and I was asked to just control my dog for 30 seconds I would have no problems doing so at all.

Just my opinion mind. :good:

Well what about the other owner? doesnt he have a duty of care for others?

Mr Lee had his dog on the lead he had his under control the other owner should know that not everybody likes other dogs running up to theirs and should of done the same. He shouldnt need to muzzle his dog as long as he had his dogs at arms length he was in the right. The other owner DID NOT have his dog under control and by saying that he wont hurt a fly was plainly in the wrong as he ignored the warnings giving to him. If I had my dog off the lead and known that the other owner said put him on the lead I would certainly do that as s/he probably got a good reason for it.

Df

It wasn't so much as a warning more of a polite request initially. :oops: All dogs have different tempraments and some don't mix too well with others. One of mine is fine with anything until it shows aggression towards him or me. The other one though is more wary and anything that he feels threatened by in his immediate space will result in him defending himself. As he did. if you saw and knew the collie in question people really would understand better. He's a softy until he feels threatened. Pretty much like people. :good:

I can't honestly believe that anyone thinks you have a dangerous dog. I have two Japanese Akitas. The big pup is ten stone, but has been attacked by probably six other dogs, which were not on a lead. Mine always are. I have asked other dog owners to put their dogs on a lead. Some have said they did not need to, others have told me where to go. I don't know why dogs attack mine, but they do. It always ends up with the other dog taking a pasting and me being told I have a dangerous dog.

The last time, a dog rushed in to a field where mine were on leads. It ran straight into the big pup and all hell broke lose. His dog ended up a bit of a mess. I said that his dog should have been on a lead. He told me to f... off and threatened to smack me in the face. I had to point out that there was a lot of talking and not much sign of the smacking. He then proceeded to tell me my dogs were dangerous. I said that he was an idiot with a large mouth and suggested he went away. We did not part as friends.

I would not trust my dog off a lead with others because I don't know how they or the other dog would react. Any owner who says his dog never bites is borderline stupid. The first time is too late.

Edited by Gordon R

As with all these idiots that let their dogs run free whilst out, their only difference when their dog has caused the upset

and come off worse is " your dogs dangerous! It's you fault!!"

Totally forgetting and not recognising the fact their dog was not under any control being off the lead! and no matter how much

you point this out in their dimwitted brain dead eyes it is you who are in the wrong!!

But they never seem to go down to the police station to report the incident, Funny that!!

Like i said earlier it's the irresponsible dog owner that needs the....er persuading as to the error of their ways!!

Mutley

Not read all the replys but .....

GET FOR A TETANUS AND A COUYSE OF ANTIBIO'S QUICK .

Trust me on this , i got a bite . thought nothing of it and bingo 1 week later i was ill . If i took a mouthfull of water 90% of it came out of my nose . I lost 2 stone in about a week and a half .

all the best yis yp ;)

YP, Had a tetanus this morning. Not quite a pleasant experience. :good: I didn't get offered no anti biotics though.... :good:

Might be worth a call to my GP monday to see what he thinks. Leg aches like mad and itches like h*ll! :oops:

Itching is actually usually a good sign of the healing process. What you have to watch out for is undue swelling, redness around the wound and hotness to the touch as this can be a sign of infection. All wounds swell and feel a bit on the hot side at first, so don't panic just yet.

Mr Lee you have my sympathy, I have 2 German shepherds and 1 of them dose not like other dogs so he is never of the lead when there is even the slightest chance of meeting another dog, to date we have been attacked twice by other dogs of the lead, I do mean attacked they were not after a sniff, 1 cocker spaniel and 1 small hairy cairn type thing with predictably bad results for the other dogs, both attacks happened on camp sites where there are strict all dogs on a lead rule, none of the other owners had the nerve to complain to me about my dogs, my view on such incidents are simple, my dogs were under control being on a lead is under control, the other dogs of the lead are out of control and are dangerous..........end of.

Make that seven times. Just walking my dog and bitch, on leads, in a local field. I heard a woman shouting "Poppy, Poppy". Turned around and a white Staffordshire Bull Terrier ran up and waded into my dog. Predictable outcome. The woman ran up and apologised, which was unusual. She said her daughter had accidentally let the Staffordshire out.

Makes a change not to be on the receiving end of abuse.

when taking my dog out,if i see somebody walking their dog on a lead i put my dog on a lead.1-they're dog might be aggressive 2-they're might have had a bad experiance so might not be nasty but might stand its ground.so i dont take the chance.the way i look at is if your dog is on the lead your in control if its not its your fault.if the blokes dog had bitten me when asked to be put on a lead i just would hope hes alot bigger than me.

i got 2 russels,dog and a bitch,now when i walk them ,i dont even own a lead but basically live on the side of mountain,so only walk 30 yds to the land.the bitch will lick and play with any dogs or people,but the dog is a bit touchy with other dogs ok with bitches.when i go anywhere,evryone knows me and my dogs so aint to much of problem,if he does start,he s easy to just scruff and pick up,if i know whos coming and they have a dog i know he ll fight with i pick him up in advance.sometimes,if dogs are of similar size,it s better to let them sort it out for a bit,it sometimes solves the problem.my opinion anywyas,as for the leg ,seen better hanging out of a nest lol :good:

Just remember it's not the dogs it's the owners. I'm sick and tired of coming across complete muppets who think they own the country park near me. I've even had an angry husband waiting for me at the gates accompanied by an ape because his wife said I had no right to walk in the park at the same time as her! The 6'2 ape had a nickname.......wait for it........DOG! You know your on a looser when you meet a bruiser called dog :good:

Having a large Rottie I always put him on a lead when others are around. In eight years he's never attacked person or beast but I always take precautions and use common sense. I'm always at fault though - I'm a bloke with a Rottie so I must be a drug dealing thug :good:

Mr Lee, I sympathise and hope the problem resolves itself. Anyone with a dog can and often does have similar experiences. I probably see and hear more arguments out walking the dog than anywhere else.