Police just took my guns!!

tinbum71

• Replies 223
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I find it hard to believe that the police would take steps as serious as this just based on the events.....

I am equally sure that two PC's would not just turn up, hear one side of an argument, and take your guns just on the strength of what the neighbour had said, and on their own initiative.....

I think there's more to this one than meets the eye..??

.... the Old Bill do not seize somebody's guns without good reason.

So, are you assuming that nobody has jumped to a conclusion then, or is this based on fact?

Oh the irony!

Well done, well done you.

I think there's more to this one than meets the eye..??

As Cranners has pointed out, the Old Bill do not seize somebody's guns without good reason.

As usual, we're only getting one side of the story, then of course everybody wades in and accuses the police of malpractice.

I'd be interested to hear his neighbours views on this matter..??

Cat.

I totally agree there are always 2 sides to every story

But excuse the pun but police tend to shoot first and ask questions later! It only really takes someone who likes to see the magpies feeding rather than shot to make a malicious call to the police and the first thing they do is seize the guns for safetys sake.

Put yourself in this scenerio - you are sat sunbathing in your garden and you hear a pellet bounce off what you think was your house and you have kids and pets in the garden/you dont get on with the neighbour and the only way to stop this is to call the old bill (pending giving him a thick ear of coarse)

The police are bound to seize the weapons pending investigation and knowing some of the wrong types who have guns these days you can hardly blame them.

Prevention is better than cure!!!! simple answer is dont put yourself in the situation in the first place! If you are going to shoot anywhere near where anyone else lives/works/hangs around whatever you have a possible problem looming!

Not saying this is fair but its the way of the world these days!

The paintball community changed their terminology from "Paintball Gun" to "Paintball Marker" to try and distance themselves from the sort of negatives that appear to be going round.

When I played in France years ago, the UK people organising it advised anyone travelling with them to call them markers (and correct if necessary) when at the airport. Made a lot of sense really.

The paintball community changed their terminology from "Paintball Gun" to "Paintball Marker" to try and distance themselves from the sort of negatives that appear to be going round.

When I played in France years ago, the UK people organising it advised anyone travelling with them to call them markers (and correct if necessary) when at the airport. Made a lot of sense really.

I will be taking my clay pigeon breaker to Worsley on Saturday :good:

Or will it be my clay pigeon misser? :blink:

Edited by Chard

Chard,

You're so non PC, it should be "Clay TARGET Breaker". :good:

Getting back to tinbum's magpie loving neighbours, I too have magpie loving neighbours, one of them remarked to me a little while ago that they hadn't seen any for a while, I agreed it was a bit odd, perhaps they were busy nesting..??

The fact is that I'd trapped every one of them in a Larsen trap in my back garden, very discreet, no fuss, no use of hushpower or anything offensive, and nobody apart from me was any the wiser. I'm still on good terms with my neighbours.

Cat.

Edited by Catamong

Chard,

Getting back to tinbum's magpie loving neighbours, I too have magpie loving neighbours, one of them remarked to me a little while ago that they hadn't seen any for a while, I agreed it was a bit odd, perhaps they were busy nesting..??

The fact is that I'd trapped every one of them in a Larsen trap in my back garden, very discreet, no fuss, no use of hushpower or anything offensive, and nobody apart from me was any the wiser. I'm still on good terms with my neighbours.

Cat.

Jeez, that's so subtle, you could almost be an Essex boy......

Chard,

You're so non PC, it should be "Clay TARGET Breaker". :lol:

Cat.

Damn - and I was trying to be PC as well :blink:

I agree, even though it seems ridiculous sometimes, I think it's better to preserve relationships with neighbours if at all possible, as we have so much more to lose than they have. I won't allow my sons or their mates to use air guns - sorry, gas powered target plinkers :D:lol::lol: in my garden, even though it backs onto woods. It would only take a ricochet and Special Branch would be round in force with a SWAT team and that would be that :good:

Edited by Chard

Damn - and I was trying to be PC as well :blink:

I agree, even though it seems ridiculous sometimes, I think it's better to preserve relationships with neighbours if at all possible, as we have so much more to lose than they have. I won't allow my sons or their mates to use air guns - sorry, gas powered target plinkers :lol::D:lol: in my garden, even though it backs onto woods. It would only take a ricochet and Special Branch would be round in force with a SWAT team and that would be that :good:

Yes, it's sad how we have been made to feel guilty for carrying out a legitimate sport, and keeping your neighbours happy is essential if you are a gun owner. It's a safe bet that if there ever was a problem, the police would be asking your neighbours for their views on your character and whether you had ever given them any cause for concern with a gun.

Harry,

I can appreciate that, as a police officer, you will want to defend the actions of your colleagues. Such loyalty is perfectly understandable and, in many cases, will be entirely justified.

But don't forget that there are, equally, many instances of police officers displaying crass stupidity and acting totally outwith their powers. That is why I advised "tinburn" to immediately contact BASC who are the professionals in dealing with matters like this.

Going back to the confiscation of "tinburn"'s guns (and assuming that it transpires that no offence has been committed) what would happen if this incident had taken place during the shooting season and the police had removed his guns the day before he was due to go on a driven grouse day for which he had made an advance payment of £1000? Would he be entitled to compensation from the police? Or what if he had been a clay pigeon shot, due to attend a selection shoot for the British Olympic team the next day? I find these matters very worrying as there sometimes seems to be a failure to acknowledge that people who legally possess firearms are, by definition, amongst the most law-abiding sections of society yet we are, so often, treated as potential criminals.

I am not trying to defend there actions but explain to some of the posters who dont really understand why and how the police can do these things. As usual whenever the police are mentioned the argument is very one sided and am just trying to make it a bit more of a balanced debate.

As for all the what if's you posted it's not really worth comment. They did not happen and if there was an issue then tinbum would have to take that up with the force in question.

Harry

Joe, the key word is offence. Alleged, suspected or whatever the point of the matter is the police are investigating an offence.

Never the less DH, it is Alleged....... not proven......Innocent till proven guilty springs to mind,

Thanks for clarifying the receipt part,

BJ.

Read section 19 of the Police and Criminal Evidence Act 1984.

http://www.webtribe.net/~shg/Pace%2019_23.htm

Says that police can seize evidence relating to an offence.

Thats what the Act of Parliment says and thats what I say.

Harry

Never said they couldn't seize any evidense DH, read my post again, I said the offence is alleged, not proven, you are talking as if it has already being to court, & proven.

obvoiusly they don't have computer access to the (Act of Parliment) webpages you have DH...lol

BJ.

Joe,

You misunderstand. I said that the police can seize any evidence relating to an offence. You picked up on this so I showed you the act of parliment that refers to seizing evidence. You should have noted that the act uses the word offence. Not alleged or suspected but offence.

That is the point I am making. I am not saying that he is guilty of any offence and I hope the matter is sorted out promptly and that he can get his guns back.

And for your information I dont need the internet to read up on basic things like pace and seizing evidence. That was for your benefit.

Harry

Ahem...

I am sure you mean "Registered distance capable vermin controlling device".

I must take exception to this post, under the Animal Rights Act 2008, the use of the word "vermin" may be considered offensive by our furry friends. May I suggest that you consider the more politically correct "Regisered Distance Capable Non-Specific Animal Controlling Device Used Only With Suitable Backstop" before the PW police pounce?

Chard,

Cat.

What did you do after you had caught them - do you release them elsewhere? We have millions and I'm sure the song birds are not as common as they were, for instance I saw wren in the garden a few nights a

go for the first time in 5 years. I before that I saw them often.

People dont realise what magpies do to other birds.

Dont you think aminal is a bit much. It implies savage and agressive. How about 'Registered Distance Non Specific Non Human Entity Controlling Device Used Only With Suitable Backstop"?

Harry

Ok, but only if it comes in pink and flowery.

This afternoons update.

I've been to the cop shop. I am to wait for a call from the duty sargeant from a smaller (but further away) local office. It would appear that the original complaint was that a seagull had been hit, but not killed, by person/persons unknown with an AIR RIFLE! As far as I know this seagull has not yet been seen by any members of the law enforcement community, so it is keeping its own counsel for now. Also, the neighbour in question has reported her caravan being hit by air rifle pellets. Why this would lead to my shotguns being taken away is still a mystery. I have told the police about the gypsy element of the theory and will be asked to tell it again to the sarge. It will be interesting to see if the same 2 plod go to the site to ask for their guns. :good:

Just to clarify a couple of points. I have, and have never had a problem with the guns being taken, as the reason given was plausible and made sense. The lack of reciept was probably my fault. I was kinda in shock and didn't give it a thought. My worry was that it would become permanent just on someones say so. Now I know more about the alleged offence I feel fine as I can easily prove it had nothing to do with me. I haven't contacted BASC about it as I haven't renewed my subscription recently, a matter I will resolve next payday. :blink: And I would feel bad asking their advice without handing over the readies.

I will keep you posted.

Chard,

Cat.

What did you do after you had caught them - do you release them elsewhere? We have millions and I'm sure the song birds are not as common as they were, for instance I saw wren in the garden a few nights a

Yes, they were released into that great Maggie sanctuary in the sky, no doubt now living happily with the angels on a diet of raw eggs & caviar. :blink: :lol::D

Cat.

Chard,

You're so non PC, it should be "Clay TARGET Breaker". :blink:

Cat.

Yes, they were released into that great Maggie sanctuary in the sky, no doubt now living happily with the angels on a diet of raw eggs & caviar. :lol::D:lol:

Cat.

Lets hope that they have plenty of company and many more on the way to join them. :good:

sorry to hear the bad news mate simalar thing happened to me but the crazy girl came bounding out of hedge as i was shooting crows just to complain about her hoarse in the next field.

she phoned the police (not the farmer) and said i had been shooting towards her house (ha ha )shame for her i new this local bobby and he said she just a pain in the *** and he then asked if he could come next time and bring his spaniel .

my point is they not all bad just few and far between and think you best off doing a bit of groveling to the exstatic magpie feeder

As an innocent bystander to this discussion.

When does Harry find time to do any poleeecing he's always on his computer.

(Sorry H.) while hundreds of people are going round shooting innocent buildings.

10,9,8,7,6,5,4,3,2,1 :good:

Edited by peter-peter

Chard,

Cat.

Yes, they were released into that great Maggie sanctuary in the sky, no doubt now living happily with the angels on a diet of raw eggs & caviar. :lol::D:lol:

Cat.

Oh, that's nice. I don't think they should be having caviar though. It's rather extravagant, don't you think?

It's quite rich too, unless supplemented with some nice greens :blink:

(Sorry H.) while hundreds of people are going round shooting innocent buildings.

When I am on leave at home looking after the kids because the wife is at work.

Next!

When I am on leave at home looking after the kids because the wife is at work.

Next!

Aint you been giving mobile laptops now?

Gordon Brown has just spent £5million on them for the police

Edited by dustyfox