Which .22LR Should I Buy? CZ / Ruger / GSG

SurreyCarl

What .22LR does Carl buy?  

53 members have voted

1. 1. Which model for a good all round .22LR?

• Ruger 10/22
    • CZ
    • GSG5
    • Something else.....

HI all. New here, so please be nice to me....

got a .22LR slot to fill and cant decide what to go for. Will be used mainly on the range, but some field work. I can only afford one so i want to make the rig choice. i *think* im after semi auto, but not discounting bolt action. Its really the accuracy, ease of cleaning and "fun" factor im looking for. plus of course, it needs to look hot when i take it out the case and people say "mmmm...nice"

Heres my list so far - any comments or suggesstions?

GSG5 - if your not familiar, this is the H&K MP5 in semi auto chambered for .22LR. Very very sexy looking. I have put many rounds through the one belonging to the club and love it BUT ive had 10 misfires out of 100 rounds!. Is this an ammo problem or a breech / firing pin spring problem? I sent the rifle to the armourer and havent heard back yet.

Ruger 10/22 - have never had a misfire on these (using same ammo from the same box as GSG above) and there are hundreds of aftermarket add ons for it. Very cheap and has great reviews on any website you research it on

CZ - available everywhere, various models, cant find many bad words about it, but have never shot one.

So...there we go.

i dont have a budget in mind. I just want a nice 22 for plinking, targets and field work. If i need to sell a kidney / my car / my soul to get the one i want, so be it.

What do you recommend? Thanks for any advice given.

Or anschutz/sako

Depends what you want, the cz is a working gun, the ruger could be qualified as this too. However they have a bit of a bad reputation. Particually the 10/22 and tbh i personally think the bolt action ones are just as bad. But thats only my opinion.

If you want a very good more expensive working gun you want the sako or anschutz.

talk to mungler about .22lrs that either look the piece but dont work, or are the bee's knee's and you dare not take them out.

I have a Volqsarten .22 basically a ruger but with fancy bits ideal for accurasy :oops: wait for it but a nice looking tool got it in laminate with a thumbhole stock would'nt look out of place on a range but a good bunny tool got mine from Roger at south yorkshire shooting supplies do a google you wont be dissapointed <_<

Edited by antuk99

Ruger 10/22.

Buy a second hand tricked up one with a plastic stock. I did and it's extremely accurate and will cycle anything provided you clean it once in a while.

I had a fancy Walther GSP .22 semi auto which never got used in case I scratched / dented it.

I think I may have even managed to convince StuartP to get a Ruger - yesterday, at Bisley, there he was clunk clicking away with his bolt action (yawns). Then come the 10/22 boyz and it's pow pow pow pow pow pow pow pow pow pow (Big brother stylee). Yes you get the odd jam, but that's more down to me not cleaning anything ever. Surprisingly accurate - easy 1" groups at 50m which is all you need.

there he was clunk clicking away with his bolt action (yawns).

Should read "There he was shooting one hole groups, with 'not as accutare as Eley' Winchester ammo"

No, they are still toys to me, you can spend a grand on them and they still jam from time to time, I just to pick my .22 up and shoot it, then chuck it in the cab until next time - not spending my evenings polishing magazines and sliders etc <_<

I will now hand you over to the Essex branch of the Ruger appreciation society.

Saw and had a hold of a new GSG5, very comfy, but hardly a target tool, hard to scope? only missing the go faster stripes.

Plus, if someone saw you shooting rabbits with a bolt action/SA they might not get worried, but with a GSG5 you might get the anti territist squad called out.

Edited by cubix

10/22 all the way, the most popular 22 in the world, and for very good reason. Reliable, accurate, huge after-sales add-ons. Wide choice of models. Any jamming problems are down to dirty mags, dirty gun, or **** ammunition, hardly the gun's fault. I put around 2-3,000 a year through mine with no problems at all. At the moment it's had getting on for 25,000 rounds through it without a hiccup.

i shoot a cz semi. great little gun .i am over the top in the cleaning department ans strip and clean each time after use.i do this so if i have jams it`s not down to it being fouled up. bolt action probably would be simpler.they say bolts are more accurate too. bang for buck i would say cz are as accurate as you can buy. anshutz would be a brill gun but twice the price. look long and hard before you spend your cash. don`t jump at the first thing that comes up. plenty to choose from

CZ Carl, bog standard style. It cost me £230 and I fitted a Brooks trigger kit just to lighten it up a bit.

Beacuse of the ever present PW Health and Saftey Police I can't tell you about the rabbit I shot last Thursday night, witnessed by another PW member, the distance will be confirmed accurately by rangefinder later in the week. I should add I am not a marksman, nor have I ever claimed to be, the point is to illustrate how good they are for the money.

Mungler would reply but he is busy working out how to get those magazines stripped down and polished up before Thursday

I am surprised he didn't drop them off with you Bob <_<:oops:

CZ Carl, bog standard style. It cost me �230 and I fitted a Brooks trigger kit just to lighten it up a bit.

Beacuse of the ever present PW Health and Saftey Police I can't tell you about the rabbit I shot last Thursday night, witnessed by another PW member, the distance will be confirmed accurately by rangefinder later in the week. I should add I am not a marksman, nor have I ever claimed to be, the point is to illustrate how good they are for the money.

Mungler would reply but he is busy working out how to get those magazines stripped down and polished up before Thursday

I am surprised he didn't drop them off with you Bob <_<:oops:

Funnily enough, it has been mentioned! It's also a shame that I can't tell you about the rabbit shot by a mate of EE's with my 10/22 at 90 yards. Measured by range-finder and a head shot. Witnessed by two PW members no less.

It has to be said, these old CZ b/a's are pretty basic engineering, but they seem to go on forever and put up a respectable performance, but fun? NO way!!

It's also a shame that I can't tell you about the rabbit shot by a mate of EE's with my 10/22 at 90 yards.

Double that, and maybe add bit too <_<

Several others had already been shot at over 100 yards, it was a perfectly still eveing and I was resting in a high seat.

Confidence was high.

The rangefinder was in the car and neither of us could be bothered to walk back.

(I will of course confess to making all this up when the PW Police come knocking)

And yes CZ's are boring, but effective.

You pays your money . .

Buy a CZ 453 no need for trigger kit just fit good scope I kill many rabbits every week in the 90-120yd range.

I had an old bruno Auto but this cz453 knocks spots off it.Most off the things your kill will be around 50-70 and it will group so tight you can take the eyes out.

Unkess you need major accuracy, go for a SYSS modified 10/22. They trick them up nicely, and mine hardly ever jams. You don't have to spend too much on them, and the problems with jamming often crop up when the more expensive match barrels are fitted. Just have the standard ruger job cut down and threaded and it will be fine!

I love mine. They're not as accurate as a bolt gun, but if you miss you can have half a dozen more tries in the time it takes to reload StuartPs CZ <_<

It's also a shame that I can't tell you about the rabbit shot by a mate of EE's with my 10/22 at 90 yards.

Double that, and maybe add bit too <_<

Several others had already been shot at over 100 yards, it was a perfectly still eveing and I was resting in a high seat.

Confidence was high.

The rangefinder was in the car and neither of us could be bothered to walk back.

(I will of course confess to making all this up when the PW Police come knocking)

And yes CZ's are boring, but effective.

You pays your money . .

Good man Stuart hope it was a head shot as a cz will do it to 150 yrds time after time also have a pw witness or two :oops:

Here we go again on this well used post.

Get a Ruger 10/22 if you fancy spending all your time cleaning the gun/magazine etc., etc. You can then spray bullets all over the countryside and get a whole load of fun (when it doesn't jam at a critical moment). Been there, bought the upgraded barrel, trigger etc, and grown out of it.

If you want an accurate, reliable killing machine then get a bolt action by any reputable manufacturer.

If you want a basic, then go CZ. If you want slightly better accuracy and a gun to be proud of then get an Annie or Sako.

Well, that's about it.

Got my tin hat on and crouching in the trenches..... <_<:oops:

Don