25-06 or .243

hi there ,I would go for the .243 the 25-06 is a bit heavy for roe & fox, if you use 100 grain bullets in .243 zeroed to 150 yards , its good out to 300 yards with minimal drop, usually gauranted kills as well, also you have more choice in rifles & ammo. I use this setup for just about everything and never had a problem.

As for the .17hmr , they are great out to 100 yards and very accurate,but can be expensive to feed, also no good if you want to eat the thing you have just blew to bits ( haed shots recommended)

I had a 243 for 7-8yrs great cal even on large stags dispite what others think. I now have a 25/06 as i was after the 243AI but too expensive so got next best ballistically ie 25/06. As for your self theres not much in it between the two cals other than bullet avalibilatie in your area & a 22.250 on roe can be over kill with a sp bullet.

Personally I would go for the 6.5 x 55. I like this round as it seems the best of everything.

All the 243's I have used have been horrible, the recoil is just viscious. That said I believe the .308 to be the ideal all round round, but that is only if you land is cleared for the big stuff.

Gun weight is quite an important factor here.

I have shot a good few 6.5's and IMHO they are all 'mild' recoilers and very comfortable to shoot, even a lightweight Suaer Outback

A lightwieght Rem 7 .243 was a nasty experience for me, and a T3 lite 25-06 was fairly hairy experience for Mungler and anyone esle who has shot that rifle.

Calibre wise .243 is nice and flat shooting as is 25-06, but the latter will give you, and whatever you are shooting at, a bit more of a whack.

If you reload it won't really matter, but if you don't you will generally find 25-06 factory ammo harder to get hold of than .243

yes the rem model 7in .243 lovely little rifle a wolf in sheeps clothing (im a proud owner of one)

yes a lovely light rifle to carry about but like stuart says a bit hairy

they do pack a bit of a punch to the shoulder not reccomended for people that dont like recoil :yp:

anybody tried a 6.5x47 lapua

Know of others on another forum that have it & the cal is doing well & gainning alot of popularity. Being 6.5 it has a very large bullet selection from match to hunting & im looking to get a 6.5x284 at some point. If you have the money a custom build 6.5x47 would do you well but better with a 260 if your new to rifles & loading the 260 is a 308/243 case as such but 6.5mm where the 243 is 6mm & the 260 is a very good round.

I have a browning A-bolt in 243win and it is brilliant! it does most of my deer shooting and they all drop on the spot.

The only thing about the 25-06 is it does wear barrel out faster than a .243win and it is not a really well used round like the 243 is and it is not a vesatile.

Edited by deer stalker

I have a browning A-bolt in 243win and it is brilliant! it does most of my deer shooting and they all drop on the spot.

The only thing about the 25-06 is it does wear barrel out faster than a .243win and it is not a really well used round like the 243 is and it is not a vesatile.

Totally disagree as there is many factors to consider when its down to barrel wear ie powder used in home loads & charge etc. Th e 6mm is a great round & with out a doubt 1 of the best but where it fails is its bullet weight & 100g is basicly your cut off. This where 6.5 comes into its own but this thread is not about this cal. As for versatile the 25cal is more due to its bullets go out to 120g & its long range punch power over the 243 & is very good as a varmint with a 75g/87g bullets. The 243 is more than powerful enough for big reds with 100g bullets even with a bit error & is most common in my area with stalkers & accounts for hundreds of reds in my area.

• 2 weeks later...

bit late i know but i think its the other way round the 25-06 is a lot slower than the .243 so i think the 243 would were out faster, both use the same shell but the .243 is cut down a bit shorter,i have the 25-06 and is a proper deer rifle and if you are going to be shooting near woods ect its the one you should have gone for as they dont run far with the 25-06 in them ,if its just deer its the one i would of gone for ...plus .243 does make a mess of the meat dont matter on foxs as you aint going to eat them ..

Edited by ROB REYNOLDS UK

I thought you had a .308 ? Oh yes it wasn`t exactly >This .308< ...........we never got to see the real "unique alpine TPG-1 in .308win" did we :good:

I thought you had a .308 ? Oh yes it wasn`t exactly >This .308< ...........we never got to see the real "unique alpine TPG-1 in .308win" did we :good:

Well spotted henry, Walter Mitty bites the dust again! :good:

i used .243 for a few years always a good round for roe with 100 grain bullets and foxes with 75 grain ballist tips. my friend geoff uses 2506 but its a hard hitter good for fallow or red a little strong for roe. i think the 243 if you main deer is roe if you encounter bigger game then 2506 as it has a bigger punch behind it. 243 will do all the jobs with the right placement of the bullet.

if just foxes i recon 22.250 or .223. hope that helps. :good:

Well spotted henry, Walter Mitty bites the dust again! :good:

LOL that was a proper giggle.

If you were going to blag ownership of a rifle you don't actually have then my advice would be to stay away from a custom set up of which there are probably no more than 3 in the UK.

P.S.

Back on topic, Mr. Cavie had a go on my .243 as Bisley and said how lovely it was - no recoil with 100 grain Winchester Ballistic tips (much to both of our surprise).

.243 it's the do all option

Edited by Mungler

Back on topic, Mr. Cavie had a go on my .243 as Bisley and said how lovely it was - no recoil with 100 grain Winchester Ballistic tips (much to both of our surprise).

.243 it's the do all option

I have owned a .243 and shot a fair few deer with it too and i personally don't think that it is gun enough for the bigger species of deer.

With a mod on most calibres don't recoil that much.