The official Chilli plant thread

Dunkield

About 3 or 4 years ago I bought some "thai hot" chilli plant seeds from the Devon Chilli farm.

These turned out to be little crackers but more to the point they were very pretty "kitchen window cill" type plants, where you could keep them on the go and indoors for about 18 months and just take the odd chilli off when you needed it.

I grew a load (not knowing how good they would be long term) and gave a load away.

Anyways, the year after when I tried to get some more seeds, the Chilli Farm had sold out and don't appear to have ever been restocked.

I then asked if anyone who had taken one of these plants off me could send me some of the seeds back. LB kindly obliged and sent me an envelope at work full of seeds. That was about 2 years ago.

I found the envelope at work a couple of weeks ago whilst tidying out an old drawer, and thought I would give them a go. Anyhows, the good news is that they have all germinated and I have 50 very small seedlings of the original thai hot.

In about 3 weeks they will be a decent plug plant size if anyone wants any through the post or at the North South meet up.

• Replies 236
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

About 3 or 4 years ago I bought some "thai hot" chilli plant seeds from the Devon Chilli farm.

These turned out to be little crackers but more to the point they were very pretty "kitchen window cill" type plants, where you could keep them on the go and indoors for about 18 months and just take the odd chilli off when you needed it.

I grew a load (not knowing how good they would be long term) and gave a load away.

Anyways, the year after when I tried to get some more seeds, the Chilli Farm had sold out and don't appear to have ever been restocked.

I then asked if anyone who had taken one of these plants off me could send me some of the seeds back. LB kindly obliged and sent me an envelope at work full of seeds. That was about 2 years ago.

I found the envelope at work a couple of weeks ago whilst tidying out an old drawer, and thought I would give them a go. Anyhows, the good news is that they have all germinated and I have 50 very small seedlings of the original thai hot.

In about 3 weeks they will be a decent plug plant size if anyone wants any through the post or at the North South meet up.

I would love some, post would be great. I've got a couple of plants on the go (can't remember there name now) and will gladly return some seeds to you when i have some. Or let me know ho0w much and i will pay the postage.

Thanks

Rimmy

• 4 weeks later...

After telling my wife that I would limit myself to a mere 18 fully grown plants in the office, I gave in at the weekend and bought myself a Habanero and a Cayenne plant for home. With any luck they will be on-line and producing fruit by the end of the season. I'll be getting them into the office when we start getting cooler.

I'm also now thinking about the future and preparing to keep seeds back for next year's plants (best seeds from the best fruits, from the best plants). However, I found these on eBay last night and was forced to buy them by a mate at work. If nothing else, they should be a laugh.

Oh yes, I'm also planning on getting some slightly more rare varieties out next year and maybe starting off some proper cultivation at home as well.

• 3 weeks later...

Stuart, yes they are massively overcrowded. If you get yourself a dedicated grow bag, they recommend no more than 3 or 4 plants per grow bag. I see you appear to have crammed about a gazzillion into a window box.

Doc, yes, those 3 I sent you into 1 grow bag in your green house will be spiffing. Just don't over water them - mind you, in the height of summer when they are at a decent height and starting to fruit they will take a watering can a day in a greenhouse and feeding with something like Tommorite once a week would only help.

• 3 weeks later...

Mine have been fruiting like mad for a month or so now (got to love these offices with climate control!) and so another office chilli grower and I decided we would use our crop so far to make a bit of chilli paste.

Contents:

6 medium sized Fresno chillis (red)

6 Cheyenne chillis (yellow)

A double handful of numex twighlight chillis (red)

1 Scotch bonnet (red)

And....

1 Dorset Naga

The idea was that we would blend the chillis, from the mildest upwards, tasting as we went and adding the more potent ones if we thought it needed it. Surprisingly, we decided that we needed everything in there, but by the time we got to taste the final mix, I couldn't feel my lips, was sweating and had drunk over a pint of full fat milk.

The finished paste is orange. It's evil. It looks menacing. it has already tricked two people into tasting it (we are almost out of blue label milk now) and we have a lot of it. It needs garlic, salt and corriander, and maybe some tomatoes (skinless, seedless, cooked) to make a lethal sauce.

Behold.... (or at least behold when I can get the picture across from my phone)

I seriously think that outside is the way to go if you want a decent rate of blossom to fruit on your plants. I had no luck at all getting either my Scotch Bonnet or my Naga to fruit despite lots of flowers and a lot of cotton bud/paintbrush action on my part. But... Leave them in the garden by a south facing wall for a couple of weeks and the bees do the business. I now have over a dozen little nagas growing and more Scotch Bonnet than I can count.

The only problem would be what happens when the weather gets cold. You'd have to seedbank the best fruit and then go through the whole process again next year.

I seriously think that outside is the way to go if you want a decent rate of blossom to fruit on your plants..........despite lots of flowers and a lot of cotton bud/paintbrush action on my part.

It is also to do with the wind W, as it blows they self pollinate as the pollen is shaken from the stamen to the carpel.

• 1 month later...

Right guys, I'm new to this chilli growing business, But I have a packet of seeds from "Yorkshire Forward" that I have planted. They are Capsicum annuum "Anaheim" if that means anything to anyone. They are just starting to germinate, how long will it take to get some chillis from them, I've got them on the kitchen windowsill.

Which are the hottest ones to grow? Has anyone got any spare seeds so I can try a few different ones? I will send you some seed from mine when I harvest them. :rolleyes:

Mine are actually starting to flower and fruit.

I have a mixture of plants with buds forming, to flowering and in some cases i have Chillies forming.....just hope i get a good crop :good:

mine are the same seemed to have flowers for ages and literally overnight all the little beauties started forming i am absolutely over the moon :rolleyes::lol:

This is 1 plant in 1 pot:

1-4.jpg

1-5.jpg

The flowers and chillis are still forming.

People normally put too many in one pot or don't use a pot / container big enough. The plants really do fill the container they are given.

I'll up load some grow bag piccies later, as they have gone mental.

• 2 weeks later...

Below is pic of the Plants Mungler sent me. going well and loads of chillies. really thrilled as these are the first chilli plants I have managed to grow after loads of trying

put some of them into a venison mince and made some great sausages and burgers

will they go red or are they green chillies

can I collect the seeds for next year

cheers from a happy doc

post-14225-1282408420.jpg

• 4 months later...