Car tax online.

vole

My car tax runs out today. I thought I would do the modern thing and renew it online and waited till today so my salary would cover it. Reading the reminder,it seems I now cant drive the bloody car until it comes in the post. Am I getting the wrong impression or what? I have no choice but to drive and despite the electronic record,I am likely to get nicked for not having the bit of paper in the windscreen. If the system accepts electronic proof that my MOT and insurance are valid,then why would the cops not accept I had coughed up the tax? Please tell me otherwise.

My car tax runs out today. I thought I would do the modern thing and renew it online and waited till today so my salary would cover it. Reading the reminder,it seems I now cant drive the bloody car until it comes in the post. Am I getting the wrong impression or what? I have no choice but to drive and despite the electronic record,I am likely to get nicked for not having the bit of paper in the windscreen. If the system accepts electronic proof that my MOT and insurance are valid,then why would the cops not accept I had coughed up the tax? Please tell me otherwise.

Have you renewed it?

if so, forget it and drive. They always left you a fortnight's grace anyway in the old days. Nobody will be after you. Just make sure you renew it today and if owt happens, you will soon have proof.

I always renew online now. It is so much easier than arguing with those idiots in the Post Office about bits of paper.

Been pulled for a VOSA/Police anpr type check, my tax disc had expired but they werent intrested as on the systme it was taxed. If they really wanted too they could give you an on the spot penalty for not displaying a tax disc. VOSA were more intrested in dipping the tank and looking at tyre tread.

Well I have not been pulled in 20 odd years but the fact that it states I could be done while waiting for the thing riled me a bit. Think I will use the P.O next time or renew online earlier. Dear do this driving lark eh?

If we all used our local post offices half of them might not be closed down, just a thought?

:yp: D2D

Well I have not been pulled in 20 odd years but the fact that it states I could be done while waiting for the thing riled me a bit. Think I will use the P.O next time or renew online earlier. Dear do this driving lark eh?

If we all used our local post offices half of them might not be closed down, just a thought?

B) D2D

I do agree with this but they do make life so difficult as you have to get all the documents together wait in a queue behind the blue rinse brigade then stand there while the not overly bright staff check all the details and god forbid you have a fleet policy because that confuses the hell out of them :yp:

In answer to the original poster you are indeed correct that you can be done for failure to display however its very unlikely that it will be a policeman as they will check and usually give you a week or so as leeway, however some traffic wardens can ticket you for it and that would be more likely than a proper copper. For me the DVLA is so good you usually get the disc by the next first class post so I'd not worry about it and were you to get a ticket I'd fight it.

:yp: D2D

Cheers all. Have printed reciept too. Both my local Post Offices stopped doing Car Tax years ago sadly.

Is every one forgeting that you can renew your car tax 1 months before its is due??

This was brought in to combat the problem of run out tax and no disc in the window. therefore the boys in blues will issue on the spot sanctions for no disc regardless of weather it is ordered or not.

No disc no tax is the way they work!

Imo the net is the most effiecient way of ordering it. Order it any time within the month before the date is due and it will arrive the next day if orderd befor 3pm.

Drove past a car yesterday with a wheel clamp and notice saying no tax!!!

This happens alot round here the dvla drive round in a Transit with cameras attached that scan number plates and check them against the database, they even clamped a car on a driveway because it had no tax and the owner hadnt declared it sorn :stupid:

Is every one forgeting that you can renew your car tax 1 months before its is due??

This was brought in to combat the problem of run out tax and no disc in the window. therefore the boys in blues will issue on the spot sanctions for no disc regardless of weather it is ordered or not.

No disc no tax is the way they work!

Imo the net is the most effiecient way of ordering it. Order it any time within the month before the date is due and it will arrive the next day if orderd befor 3pm.

Its not a month beforehand. The reminder states you cant order one before the 5th of the month.They invite you to buy the beggar right up to the expiry date and then tell you that plod or someone will do you because they dont feel like checking the data base. The pink bit at the back of the reminder says you can be fined if you drive your car while waiting for the disc you have bought online. As usual they want jam on it.So if you fall foul of their so easy to use online renewal they get double the revenue. I bought my disc yesterday at 1800 and until it arrives I can be fined,despite them having my cash in their account and my unconvincing looking printed reciept.As usual they have it all sewn up.

ps It reminds me of when my sister in law and nephew got splatted by a hit and run vehicle under the nose of a police cctv camera. They refused point blank to check the film to ID the vehicle. For all the fancy technology,they only use it when it suits then and not us.

Edited by vole21

It does state that it can take a few days for delivery.if you wanted it on the day, you should just have gone to the PO!! Don't see what the issue is, it states it cleary....and that it is an offence not to display. mine arrived within 3 days...and i ordered it 10 days before it ran out to make sure it was here in time

Edited by Stig

well mine didn't arrive, and i didnt notice until about 10 days after it ran out.

so as you can imagine, i got on the blower and most indignantly pointed out that the money had come out of my account and we had nothing to show for it, and I was extremely concerned i'd get pulled by the cops. they apologised profusely and sent me out a duplicate almost next day delivery.

then when i was clearing up all the **** and post on my desk in the study (as it has a habit of accumulating), i found the original envelope with the original car tax in :stupid: , underneath a HUGE pile of rubbish. oops?

Edited by darebear

It does state that it can take a few days for delivery.if you wanted it on the day, you should just have gone to the PO!! Don't see what the issue is, it states it cleary....and that it is an offence not to display. mine arrived within 3 days...and i ordered it 10 days before it ran out to make sure it was here in time

My beef with them is that they invite you to buy their product online and on the same document threaten to fine you because of the delay in getting it to you. Sorry if you think the Government is being fair doing this but I do not.I think that it is another example of Joe Bloggs getting shafted by heavy duty government.Lets stop bending over for them ey?