Gun and shooting gear storage

rimfire4969

I have a cuboard in my old house for all my shooting gear including a 8 gun cabinet shelving for my cartridges, cleaning bits and pieces, hats, gloves, books, basicly all the bits my wife does not want around the house.

This cuboard is on an outside wall, and our house is about 300 years old, so we do suffer from a bit of damp.

What would be best to keep the damp at bay, my gun room or (cuboard as my wife calls it) is about 3ft x 3ft with a ceiling height of about 7ft.

I have thought about a small dehumidfier or a small oil radiator or both.

Any thoughts :oops:

I would advise that you ensure the "cupboard" has adequate ventilation rather than spending a lot of money on a dehumidifier or oil radiator.

My garage also suffers from damp coming through the walls and I have previously had problems with mildew and condesation forming on boots/clothes etc. but the problem was solved by leaving the window open slightly, thereby allowing a constant flow of air through the room. Clearly if you are using the cupboard for gun/ammo storage you need to ensure security isn't compromised.

Hope that helps.

Just an idea, if the wall/s have damp, why not get one of those plastic sheds, they come in all sorts of sizes. You can back it up to the wall where you mount your gun cabinet, then mount your cabinet inside the plastic shed and against the wall if that makes sense. Use some galvanised screws so they don't rust, and this way you keep the cabinet off the wet wall and the rest of your gear stays dry.

The walls are not running with water, but anything left in the cuboard for a long time will end up with some mold on it. I do use a Napier anti rust pouch thingy in the gun caninet that seems great with anything metal. I already have an oil radiator i could use and a very small dehumidifier are not that much compared to my kit.

What i don't want to do is take all the moisture out of the air in the cuboard and it effect my guns woodwork :drinks:

Going up is possible :drinks: , something like a bathroom vent would do i guess. At least the air can move around. Only trouble is i can't put a vent in the door as it is an expensive oak latch door and my wife would possibly gut me in my sleep. Would the vent move enough air with the only new air coming in around the door. Or i could put another opening into the roof space but it would be nextdoor to the vent :drinks:

You need cross ventilation.Attic spaces and suspended floors have cross ventilation for the excally the same reasons you're suffering.Two simple 6" vents on opposing walls should see an end to your problem.Depending on what your house if built from (brick or stone)-you might have to hire a diamond core drill if its brick or ask a friendly plumber he could do it for you as they have them for installing boiler vents.

Having the walls tanked might also help,but this is very messy.

Going up is possible :drinks: , something like a bathroom vent would do i guess. At least the air can move around. Only trouble is i can't put a vent in the door as it is an expensive oak latch door and my wife would possibly gut me in my sleep. Would the vent move enough air with the only new air coming in around the door. Or i could put another opening into the roof space but it would be nextdoor to the vent :drinks:

Two possibilities if you use a bathroom vent - either way use slatted shelves so the air circulates

1 vent from the top and undercut the door by say 10 or 15 mm ( tell the wife it's so it doesn't ruck the carpet/jam on the floor :drinks: ) This is industry standard for toilets etc. but the air will be warmer to aid drying if you have no moisture creating activities in the adjacent room.

2 Both vents from the top but duct (100mm dia or rectangular section platic both are readily available and not expensive compared with the gear) the incomming air to the bottom inside the cupboard. this will work to give circulation but the air will be cooler and "may" cool the room.

Hope this helps

D :thanks:

Hi,

I used to work as a damp surveyor and most of the answers given are relevent, condensation is caused when moisture laden air comes into contact with a surface that is colder than the air temperature.

The easiest way to avoid this is to increase temperature and ventilation,also look at where the moisture is coming from.

we had great succes with whole house ventilation systems which go in the attic and move air around by vents although these are quite expensive.

As suggested the best way is to vent through the wall,but if not possible air can be piped to the area preferably at low and high height to allow circulation, also consider low level heat such as the tubes used in greenhouses.

take a look at this site for some answers on condensation link