pigeon flocks/rape feeding

shawn9914

• Replies 67
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Goos luck F&S hope you have a good day with a decent bag.

I think we're all gagging to get at the moment but the cold weather makes a 1-5 bird day not really worth the pain in the finger tips but lets hope they start feeding soon.

I've noticed a few flocks about up in cleveland but they seem to feeding on ploughed fields at the moment, must be minerals they require when eating all these berries or something to that effect.

Happy days to come :lol:

The PM

farmer called me yesterday to say pigeon were starting to hit his rape fields, just been out this morning for a mooch 3 fields getting well hit by flocks of about 50 birds coming in steady all the while I was there, will be out with the gun tommorow, ooh and noticed lots of furry things hopping about as well?

cheers Keith

RESULT!!!

Got myself in the hedgerow under an old oak and a regular flightline. The frost didnt melt under its shadow and the pigeons were steady for about two and half hours. Not alot compared to some days but a healthy 27 woodies and 3 magpies.

THE GOOD TIMES ARE HERE!!!

MERRY CHRISTMAS FROM ALL AT FISHANDSHOOT.CO.UK & A HAPPY AND PROSPEROUS NEW YEAR :o

The neighbouring farm to the one that i shoot on has rotated his crops.

He has three big fields of rape and they are pulling a fair few pigeons in.

He's got regular shooters on his land so getting permission on there is out of the question :<

The bonus for me is that i have some very good flight lines to the rape fields over my ground that are keeping me busy :):D :o

well went out as intended total bag 21 woodies and 4 squirells (dont ask) pigeon coming in to the rape field quite steady up till 1130 then nothing? packed in at 1pm

pigeon crops all stuffed with rape cold weather forecast so next week may be fruitfull? er also chap walking past whilst I was putting gear in the car asked if he could have a squirell tail for "fishing" what the hell do they use them for?never thought to ask him? too keen to beat the rain?

cheers keith

Squirell's tails are used in fly fishing and make good artist's paint brushes too.

Been out to scan the ground where we've got pemission, big blocks of rape with small spinneys dotted throughout. Didn't see a pigeon, not even one sat about in the trees.

I was hopeing to get out monday afternoon after going to the local meet in the morning.

The birds are certainly starting to flock up; but I haven't seen any serious numbers on the rape. (Shrops, Worcs)

There are however about sixty woodies poking around in the hege bottom of my garden / orchard as I write this! They've been coming in for a few days now, I think it's bugs in the leaf litter and sprouting acorns they are after.

Eug

when i finished beating today i went on a recce of a new rape field i got permmision to shoot and was looking through the binos and notice some specs on the field so got out the car to get a better look and would you believe it but i see at least 1000+ pigeons on the edge , i watched them for a while and noticed some people walking around the field and the pigeons didnt even move , so you can guess where iam going to be for the next couple of days :rolleyes:

pete

Started to notice flocks of 100 or more birds begining to form in and around my area.

One flock in particular was busy picking up bits and pieces of acorn from around the base of an oak tree, which suggests that berries etc may be getting in short supply.

Hopefully they will find the rape just as i get there on Saturday!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Regards Sutty :rolleyes:

DISASTER :< DISASTER :< DISASTER :< thats all i can say about today .

pigeons were everywhere but would they come into the pattern would they ****** moved three times before it started to rain heavy and decided to pack up .

will have another go at the weekend though .

pete

went out yesterday and started at half nine.put up a dozen or so as i went to set up but was pleased to see sixty odd leave the trees.set up under a flight line with a magnet and two flappers and ended the day at half two with 29 pigeons a crow and a magpie.would have stayed later but i ran out of shells :*)

and i want to shoot the same field this friday :rolleyes:

pigeons have flocked up behind my house in west yorks, roughly 2-300 hundred of them still on the beech nuts though as there's not much else for them to eat around here. I have permision on all the land but when they fly over they are always roughly 60foot up and will not drop in no matter what, then i have the senario of one shot and then they all dissapear?? bloody things ha ha