Barnardo's

David BASC

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just received a reply to the complaint I registered with Barnardos earlier today:

"Thank you very much for your feedback on our online film and for taking

the time to respond to us.

First of all, just to clarify. This is not an ad - it will not be

running on TV or in any paid-for media space. This film was

specifically designed to raise the issue and challenge the use of this

damaging and out of control language to describe children. We showed

this film to journalists from leading newspapers as well as BBC and ITV

social correspondents to challenge their own treatment of children in

their coverage.

At no point during the film do we promote or encourage the behaviour

shown. The shooting is used as an analogy to highlight the dangerous

use of language about children, by portraying what would happen if

society carried out the threats that are made. The comments that

inspired the film were all taken from high profile newspaper websites as

a general answer to what should be done about "the youth of today".

Finally the intention was not to offend legitimate gun holders and we

have issued a clear statement to the BASC saying this. The aim of the

film was to encourage the media and public to confront their attitudes

about children.

I hope this is helpful. We have logged your complaint on our system.

Kind regards

Collette Collins

Head of Brand and New Media

Barnardo's"

No mention of the film being removed or withdrawn then...

Keep sending in your complaints to Barnardos & the ASA. :hmm:

:hmm::P:P:P WOW!!!!......everyone NEEDS to complain, such a massive shot at the shooting industry intentional or not, that is extremely discriminatory towards shooters, not just hinting at something, but actually showing our class carying it out :P:oops::P :( :o

I AM ANGRY AND DISGUSTED!!!!!

but at the end of the day, who is to blame???....you cant help but think they are very anti-social, maybe if the Executive Director of the Barnados trust got his car vandalised and kicked in, he would feel slightly diffrently about his views on this campaign, it is mainly the parents poor raising of their children that causes this and I have spoken with these kinds of people before and there is only so much reson with these people :/ , if you allow your kid to smoke when you know they are doing it and let them drink and in some cases even expose them to drugs...you can hardly blame them if they shoot of into that lifestyle...however at the age most of these kids are at they NEED to realise that they are accountable for their actions so saying they have poor upbringing is not really a complete defence although a massive contributor...it does not make it right.

Complain!!!!!

Steve

My complaint is in, under no uncertain terms! All I can say guys is, this really highlights the need for all of us to behave responsibly, safely and with due regard to the public at all times, so when this sort of poorly conceived scaremongering is produced, we can defend ourselves without exception and highlight it for what it is.

cheers

SL

The latest:

BASC is pleased by the 'apology' given to us yesterday over the Barnardos 'Hunting' film - but we still feel the use of the film is unacceptable given that it uses negative images of 'country shooting people' as a vehicle to get their message across. BASC Chief Executive John Swift has asked Barnardos Chief Executive to withdraw the film from the Internet, and is waiting to have a telephone conversation to discuss this with him.

Barnardos says that it's not acceptable that society demonises children, and yet it feels it is acceptable to demonise the shooting community so they can get their own message across. BASC says this is not on!

So guys please lend your support and e-mail / call them and demand the film is remove.

David

I did, I also asked them for a formal public apology and this is the response,

Thank you for your email responding to our online film.

This film was not intended to target legitimate shotgun owners or the

hunting community so apologies that it has offended you. We used the

analogy of hunting to highlight the demonization of children and the

harmful effect that the words commonly used to describe children can

have by comparing it to the inconceivable notion of shooting children.

At no point do we say that what you see is real - we clearly say that

the film uses quotes taken from UK newspaper websites to illustrate the

issue.

The film was designed to be shown to the media so that they would

reassess their own handling of children and young people in their

coverage. It has been very successful in raising the debate around the

demonization of children, and forcing people to confront their

prejudices- even if this is uncomfortable. This was its role. It is

not an advert and will not be shown on TV.

You will see our TV advertising air next week. This clearly

demonstrates how Barnardo's our valuable work in helping troublesome

children turn their lives around. Our advertising specifically focuses

on how Barnardo's can makes a difference in children's lives when they

are caught in a vicious cycle of deprivation, exclusion, abuse and

crime. I hope after seeing this, that you will appreciate the work that

we do and understand why we need to call attention to our organisation.

There is no reference to shooting or hunting in any way.

As you have said, we have issued a statement to the BASC, clearly

stating that we are not targeting legitimate gun owners, and apologising

for any offence caused. This was considered to be the best way to reach

the hunting community. Also if you read any of the feedback on

bbc.co.uk or other websites, the feedback we have received centres on

the language used during the film and whether they agree that children

are being demonised in society today. The public clearly have not taken

this as an attack or negative portrayal about the hunting community, so

I hope this reassures you.

Same old corporate ******** that everyone seems to get.

Dear Ms.Howes,

As a member of the shooting community, and a holder of legal firearms and shotguns, I am frankly bemused by the 'video' on your hompage. I use the term 'video' lightly as i see it more as a mockery to common sense, the british people, and most importantly, the shooting minority. In the video, individuals are seen to be shooting at children with shotguns and rifles, both of which are perfectly safe in the right hands. You however potray them as weapons of fear and death and make no effort what so ever to show their sporting purpose. More to the point, at what time in british history has legally held firearms been used by adults to cause fear/harm to children ( the dunblane massacre is a different issue and involved a mentally unfit indiviudual) I am sure this happens quite frequently in the developing world and less civilised countrys, but in England? I am sure you have a very over-zelous marketing dept. that will need reviewing.

Further more, several of my family members have already halted their monthly donations and I will go out of my way to stop others.

Yours with concern

Luke Spires

PS:

I am 16 and have never once been chased and shot at :hmm:

______

:hmm:

Complaints emailed, and donation stopped. I can't believe they thought that this would cause anything but upset to legitimate shooters. As many of you know I work closely with young people, and having discussed this with them, they also feel that the use by Barnados is completely inappropriate. Funny that coming from a mix of Inner city kids, and country kids.

Mungler

Shame on you.

Do you have any idea how long it has been since £1 notes were used in Britain?

Are we to assume by your inference that it some time since you donated to charity?

webber

Yesterday actually..... yup we still print the wee £1 notes up here!! Ha!

I've complained to the ASA, and to Barnado's.

I had a polite, personalised reply back.

I think the work that the charity does is excellent, but this was just an unfortunate mistake on their part.

I think they have got the message that we are not pleased.

:lol:

Gents, I have written to Barnado`s to complain about this highly out of order and inaccurate film, but I would like to remind folk to look beyond this film and not withdraw support for a charity that does a huge amount of good for kids, they did not make the film and should not be made to suffer for the shortsighted attitude of Barado`s PR dept.

Lets hope it gets withdrawn asap.

ATN

Nick

For christs sake,

You say we shouldn't withdraw our support for an organisation that does such good work yet feels that it can spend money on a film such as this one. Yet BASC ask for a donation to build a media centre and everyone is up in arms.

I say that every hunting shooting and fishing man, woman or child should directly withdraw their support for barnado's and tell them why.

I too have received a very reasoned (if a little self-justifying) response from Barnardos.

They offered a link to the BASC website, but said that they had contacted the BASC prior to launching this film but received no response from the Head of Media - quite how they couched that initial contact I don't know, but I think that DavidBASC mentioned earlier in the thread that Barnardos did not show BASC the video itself.

I am, however, satisfied that it was a genuine mistake, but Barnados really ought to be doing more to emphasise that any negative associations between illegal activity and shooting sports as a result of this are unintentional.

This will not stop me supporting Barnardos. As someone who is persistently shaking my head in disbelief at the decisions made by my own firm's marketing department, I am certain whichever advertising/marketing berk that dreamed this up over their morning pinot grigio has nothing at all to do with the real work done by the organisation.

LS

Copy of letter from BASC Ch. Exec to barnardos Ch Exec

JAS/sp/Communications/Complaints/2008 Nov website

18th November, 2008

Mr M Narey

Chief Executive

Barnardo’s

Tanners Lane

Barkingside

Ilford

Essex, IG6 1QG

I am writing formally following a telephone call I received just now from your Assistant Director of Communications. She telephoned me after I had sought to speak with you earlier this morning about Barnardo’s failing to remove its deeply offensive video clip from your website.

It strikes me as deplorable that having accepted in discussion with our Communications people yesterday that deep offence was being caused to country people, and having given an apology of sorts, that Barnardo’s should proceed in the error of its ways.

Your Assistant Director of Communications sought to justify the conduct of Barnardo’s by saying that Barnardo’s did not intend to cause offence and that you had received a positive response. She sought to reassure me that next week your message would change and that this somehow justified the continuing cause of offence?

It is deeply irresponsible of Barnardo’s to portray country people as likely to go out and shoot children. It is even more reprehensible, having had the error of judgement drawn to your attention, to continue showing the material.

Expecting a Communications team to change tack in a media campaign is a tall order and it will require firm direction from your level. I ask you please to recognise the mistake that has been made and to remove this material from your website immediately.

I have no doubt that this matter will be taken up at a high level. We have no wish to damage the fundraising that is essential for the care of children in need. We simply expect that your decision making is reviewed and the offending material removed. Ends do not justify means; two wrongs do not make a right.

With kind regards.

Yours sincerely,

JOHN SWIFT

Chief Executive

I too have received a very reasoned (if a little self-justifying) response from Barnardos.

LS

I have not yet recived a reply! Maybe they have now been inundated??

Nice that BASC have been straight in on the case....I wont say any more regarding others!

Would this new media centre have helped? Would the BASC have been able to make there own video and put it on the web etc to counteract this video?

Is this type of thing what the media centre is for?

Edited by V8landy

They offered a link to the BASC website, but said that they had contacted the BASC prior to launching this film but received no response from the Head of Media - quite how they couched that initial contact I don't know, but I think that DavidBASC mentioned earlier in the thread that Barnardos did not show BASC the video itself.

I am, however, satisfied that it was a genuine mistake, but Barnados really ought to be doing more to emphasise that any negative associations between illegal activity and shooting sports as a result of this are unintentional.

This will not stop me supporting Barnardos. As someone who is persistently shaking my head in disbelief at the decisions made by my own firm's marketing department, I am certain whichever advertising/marketing berk that dreamed this up over their morning pinot grigio has nothing at all to do with the real work done by the organisation.

LS

Well said LS.

Thank god not everyone has such a short sighted attitude on this site.

This is typical response to media hyping, I will not waste time trying to convince those that cannot be convinced, and I remind folk that I find the film just as injustified as everyone else, which is why I too have complained!

I have not yet recieved a reply from Barnado`s, and I`m expecting the same waffle that most seem to have had in reply!

For those that wish to complain via email, please follow this link:

web.manager@barnardos.org.uk

ATB

Nick

Edited by nickb

Here's the lame response I received:

Dear Malc,

Thank you for your feedback on our film. We are sorry you are offended by its content.

The concept of shooting is a metaphor for how the public thinks about children and is not intended to single out those who take part in shooting sports as those wanting to shoot children. The analogy is born out of a direct quote taken from a newspaper website written by a member of the public.

Our intention is not to offend people, but to highlight society’s intolerance of children and young people. We believe the most shocking part of the film is the comments made by the public.

We have also made a public comment to the British Association of Shooting and Conservation (BASC) http://www.basc.org.uk/content/basc_wins_apology

Thank you for your comment.

Yours sincerely

Collette Collins

Head of Brand and New Media