Barrel cleaning

richie76

How thoroughly do you clean you barrels and gun after each shoot?

Like anything i own that i like , i try and keep it in the best possible condition, So when i bought my first shotgun i asked the bloke at the gun shop about maintenance, He said to keep disassemble it into the 3 parts wipe down and lightly lube all the metal parts with oil. The barrels bores should be sprayed with cleaner and a tissue pushed thru until there is no black or blue traces left. i have been doing this since June and it takes me ages to get me barrels mint, Ive scrubbed em with the brush but just cant find a quickish way of doing it..any suggestions would be gratefully welcomed,

Am i trying to get them too clean each time??

I use the light wire brush, then some oil and swab once with a cloth, that is usually sufficient.

If not, I will swab again with a dry cloth.

If I have been out in the rain, I am obsessive about removing all traces of rainwater before putting my gun away and will strip the gun down as far as necessary to do this.

I even clean under the ventilated ribbing with a Q tip. :good:

1.strip down into 3 parts

2. spray wd40 down barrels leave to loosen cr*p

3. lube action and clean foregrip

4. with plastic brush scrub inside of both barrels

5. push through tissue or tampon (sounds weird but works wonders)

6.push through a clean bit of towel

7. put back together (i always dryfire once with snap caps)

all done,takes about 5 mins

James

Sorry, when you say 'the three parts' what exactly do you mean? I have a Miroku MK70 Game O/U and it only breakt to two parts, one being the two barrel part and the rest is the stock and the lock. Am I missing something?

,lock stock and barrel.3 parts...i take it the lock thing is the wooden grip that attached to the bottom of the barrels that you remove first.. that gets wiped clean then lightly oiled on the metal parts

1.strip down into 3 parts

2. spray wd40 down barrels leave to loosen cr*p

3. lube action and clean foregrip

4. with plastic brush scrub inside of both barrels

5. push through tissue or tampon (sounds weird but works wonders)

6.push through a clean bit of towel

7. put back together (i always dryfire once with snap caps)

all done,takes about 5 mins

James

Tampons!..personally i dont own any, but i'll aquire some of the wife's NEW and UNUSED 1's..lol

thanks mj i'll give it a go

Edited by richie76

i have all the different kit, rods, brushes, cleaning patches, bore cleaner, u nameit, its in the cleaning box.

most of its overrated though.

i normally use four of the yellow duster you see the missus with. one to dry off water, one to clean the bolt and inside the receiver, etc (semi auto), one to pull through the barrel to clean it attached to an sa80 cleaning rod (flexible wire thing wrapped in white plastic, like some of the net curtain rods) and a final one to give the outside of the gun a good polish with oil. sometimes i use a wire brush on a rod too for the barrels but rarely need it; also got a big can of oil like wd40 but you can spray on, good for reaching awkward places. all in all takes about 10 mins.

just make sure you put the dusters through the washing machine a few times first (or get her to do it :good:) to get rid of the fluff that covers them. once every 4 or 5 months i give the gun a full clean, strip down all the parts, use a wire brush on some of the internal ones, etc.

but every guns different, just because mine cleans up ok in this way doesnt mean urs will!! :good:

the lock thing is the wooden grip that attached to the bottom of the barrels

:look: :look:

3 parts:

1) stock & action (you can split but usually have to remove recoil pad to get to stock bolt and not part of normal cleaning routine),

2) barrels

3) forend

Locks are part of the action as in sidelock or boxlock.

HaHa No worries..You had a blonde moment

Think it was you who was having the blonde moment, richie76! :good::good: :look:

??? :o

3 parts:

1) stock & action (you can split but usually have to remove recoil pad to get to stock bolt and not part of normal cleaning routine),

2) barrels

3) forend

Locks are part of the action as in sidelock or boxlock.

Think it was you who was having the blonde moment, richie76! :good::good: :look:

nooo i wasnt....he named 3 things but thought it was only 2. you must have missed that :look: :look: :P

But thanks i didnt know it was called the forend. ive learned sometimg..i'm new to this you know :o

I bronze brush the barrel.

Spray down some legia and leav for 5 min to losen up any muck.

I then use the plastic head on the rod and a cleaning patch and pass this upand down the barrel untill clean and dry then i put a clean peice of patch in the plastic head and drop 2 drops of 3 in 1 onto the patch and pass that through the barrelles.

Also take out chokes and check them, clean them and the thread and replace. Then strip the rest to clean whats left !

I do this every time ! :good:

Years ago got caught out with corrosive carts, forgot to clean the gun and pitted the barrel, so now go for a quick clean in the back of the truck before coming indoors

When cold leave the gun in the slip until warned up to prevent condensation, then for quick cleaning as others I squirt in either gun oil or WD 40 then push kitchen towel through with an alloy rod untill the towel comes out clean.

It very wet - near total strip down, every so often wire bronze brush out chamber and give it a good clean. Bit of a prob last summer shooting on holiday - damp, so sprayed outer barrel with gun oil to stop light rust on old gun.

Always like posting on barrel cleaning topics ;):lol:

Clean mine everytime. Ignore catomong and all those others who say it's a waste of time ???:hmm:

Squirt of legia spray and leave to vaporise in barrels.

Phosphur bronze down to loosen stuck on stuff and clean of lead smears.

Bore snake to get out worst (these are not as good as you may think!)

Then Napier super clean on the cleaning rod so it's areal effort to push down - repeat till no black left on roll.

Clean the action (not actually take it apart mind! :hmm:)

Clean away all old VP90 grease from rubbing parts as this can accumulate grit.

Reapply VP90.

Run a wool mop with Napier oil on round the outside of the barrel - gets all those finger prints off :lol:

I clean behind the chokes every 2nd or 3rd time.

And yes, I do this after every clay session! But not if I'll be using it again in the next couple of days.

Wouldn't like to buy a gun off someone who didn't treat it right.

Comment on that Catomong :hmm:

I strip the gun into three parts, wipe down and spray with Young's 303. I clean any obvious stuck on **** away and then reassemble. The barrels get a scrub through with the phos/bronze brush and then wiped through with the oily mop. Then the whole thing gets a wipe over once again with an oily rag.

I was told once that WD40 will eventually fetch the blueing off a gun. Is there any truth in that?

Legia spray down the bores.

Leave for five minutes whilst making cuppa tea

Clean and check over the action.

Give the bores a quick run through with phosphur bronze brush to get rid of/loosen most of the gunk.

Clean through barrels with a couple of goes with a Hoppes boresnake.

Bores are now mirror-like finish inside :rolleyes:

Reasseble and wipe over with oily rag.

Job done. :D

Edited by p@cman