Favorite shotgun for pigeons?

El Gringo

I haven't really developed a favorite because I haven't yet imported my shotguns from the States.

My weapon of choice for something like 30 years or more has been a Browning Auto 5 in 20 gauge. I also shot an Ithaca Pump in 12 gauge for a while but still preferred the Browning in most cases.

Before moving to Venezuela, and in anticipation of doing a lot of dove hunting, I finally purchased a gun I've wanted all my life, an over/under. I bought a Ruger Red Label in 20 gauge. It's a beautiful weapon, and shoulders wonderfully, but I've not yet fired a single shell in it. :*)

I don't know how it'll perform on pigeons, but I intend to find out. If I'm not happy with it, there's always the Browning. :lol:

El Gringo

BTW, I'm sure this subject has been discussed many times before, but please forgive me, I'm new.........among other things. :oops:

Edited by El Gringo

Mine has to be a late 1800's Webley and scott side-by-side 30" hammergun semipistol grip true cyl and 1/4 choke , nice and light comes up to the shoulder Real nice swings nice n easy

I've used O/U's but dont really get on with them , i do use an old Laurona 12 bore O/U (blunderbus) 26" True cyl on both. Nice skeet gun but its a heavy one

I did use it for pigeon shooting and rough shooting but you really know you've had that in your arm for the day

WB

I used to use an old Franchi Alcione game-gun, which at 7½ lbs was nice enough to carry but not too light to use over a long period.

In a moment of madness I decided to convert the full pistol grip into a nice semi’ pistol grip.

Couldn’t hit a bloody thing with it after that and eventually sold it to get some money towards my .243 Tikka. :oops:

Shame, because it really was a nice gun. I use a nice AYA #4 now.

G.M.

Paul,

My Browning is a 5 shot semi-automatic though it's currently got a removeable magazine plug that restricts it to 3 shots. In the states, for all migratory game such as ducks & geese, doves, cranes, etc, a hunter is restricted to 3 shots.

As for the importation issue, I should have been more specific. I'll be importing the arms into Venezuela, which is where I'm currently living.

El Gringo

I started shooting with a cheap side by side, I soon got more interested in the sport so decided to get a Beretta over & under as well, nice gun, but did not shoot quite as well with it, eventually I sold both of them and bought an AYA 53 sidelock s/s and then added an AYA Yeoman boxlock non ejector for a knockabout gun, all had 28" barrels. Prefer open chokes (imp & 1/4) and small shot.

I'm still shooting with an old o/u spanish made gun sarasqueta or something like that, my old man got me it a few years ago for christmas.

The first time i went out with it i shot a pheasant and a partridge for 2 cartridges, this is why i have stuck with it, it may not be the most expensive gun or nicest to look at but it shore as hell works.

The only thing i may consider doing is opening up the barells, i'm not too shore what the chokes are at the moment appart from tight and bloody tight :oops:

started out with a baikel s/s 430e for £175 from T Mcavoys in chorley(maybe a few cartridridges for the advert eh Tim) :lol: thought it was great , my first gun.Then i shot my dads silver sable and what a difference :D unfortunatly

it was stolen a few years ago :) and which ever gun i had i couldn`t shoot a thing ;) so it was back to the trusty baikel with 3/4 and full chokes.recently bought a lanber o/u multichoke and like to shoot over decoys with 1/4 and cylinder.but any duck or walked up pheasant etc... it`s the baikel for me :( :( :(

for manic days i use my al391 but for days when im just happy to be sat in the hedge and away from it all its go to be my spanish 16 bore.bruises my finger something rotten but using 1/16th of an ounce loads it shoots like a dream.

took it clay shooting and it battered the hell out of me.

too short in the stock by 2 inches but i love it

Ive got a W.R Leeson Hammerless Boxlock SBS which I love to use when roost shooting. its very light and swings well, it has very little choke and have taken some real fast birds with it

My other favourite is an old Beretta S56E o/u game gun this one has a slight left hand cast which suits my left handed shooting. I use this one for clays too

My other favourite is an old Beretta S56E o/u game gun this one has a slight left hand cast which suits my left handed shooting. I use this one for clays too

my dad shoots a beretta s56e with a straight stock. its a lovely gun but i cant get on with it. I think he bought it from a game fare about 20 odd years ago.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

My Beretta Tekyns sporter, best auto i've used. Tend to use an open choke but sometimes go to 1/2 depending on how the birds are coming in. Love my old AYA Yeoman SS n/e. Had the choke take down from super full and 3/4 to imp cylinder and 1/4 which helps. Paid more for the chokes to be opened up than I did for the Gun!! A real plus is being able to lift out the empties and stick 'em straight in your pocket rather than having to fish 'em out of the brambles.

• 3 weeks later...